Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

I'm not a lawyer, but I still know some stuff.

What he is doing, is asking you to serve as a bailee of his stuff.

You can have a bailee for hire, that is, he was paying/had paid you to do the task, and then you've got a bailee who receives no compensation, (which is you) in fact, he owes you money and is expecting you to take care of his stuff on your own effort and nickel.

All you're required to do in this situation is not actively destroy his stuff, or steal it.

If you were compensated you would have a much higher bar, and would be expected to take reasonable care of his items.

I would call your LL and explain the problem. My guess is he might be reasonable if you leave the apartment clean and in good repair, and you've paid your rent on time all along, and will dispose of his items in a legal way.

I think your idea is a good one, of contacting the lawyer and drawing up a letter on letterhead to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 05:44 PM

859 posts, read 705,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
While well intentioned, your post is abjectly wrong and totally worthless.
The snag is that they are in a lease together. To vacate the premises, they will need to return it completely empty of belongings. The OP got an attorney opinion, he/she should follow that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird
You seem want to do the worst thing in my opinion. I don't know if you can understand me but I'll write my view anyway.

-Don't relate yourself to that man at all. You are not responsible about him nor his stuff. I'm surprised how did you know him then accepted to make him your roommate.

- You shouldn't have accepted to drive his car then parking it. You should have left it for the police, it's non of your business.

You stated :

Although, you still thinking to open & move his stuff to his car!!

- To document his stuff and taking photos to it are OK, it will be fine since they are at the apartment. But don't touch them or transfer them to his car. What do you think you can you prove if you moved his stuff to his car then taking photos to them?

- If you are worried that your roommate one day or once he get out of jail, he will sue you over his belongings. I'll tell u, in both cases, he can accuse you; whether you left his stuff at the apartment or moved them to his car. No guarantee. The difference is that in the first case, he need to give an evidence that you stole, ruined, .... whatever to his stuff, While in the second case you already would give him an evidence or rather "justification" to accuse you since you would touch his stuff and open his car then move his stuff there. Even if this would happen based on his permission and acceptance. He still can accuse you. Don't deal with him or his stuff, let it for the others. Follow the attorney's advice and inform the landlord. Don't make that man with his stuff seem like your partner or responsibility. You could get in trouble due to misbehaving.

-Don't believe that he has nobody. If he wants, he can communicate anyone of his family, relatives or even friends.
I already stated that; I colored it in red for you. when he doesn't know what to do, what supposed to do, don't do anything. He shouldn't act according to what he thinks especially with the description he gave to his roommate and his threatening with suing too (I depend on what OP stated, every one is innocent until proven guilty). All of those stuff don't do it right now until he makes sure by following the attorney's advice and informing the land lord. He already paid whole the rent if you noticed.

Read my first post also, it's the same but shorter and clearer. My post may seem worthless according to you but I'm more accurate and take into consideration other things that MIGHT happen in future and make those nothing in comparison with them.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:21 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I had a relative be retained til court hearing. I won't judge this roommate as it could be a charge that isn't as worth getting up in arms.
The Jail had a case worker who provided the inmate with resolution on personal items and contact services. It was charged to them and a lien placed on any of their banking.
This convoluted statement that the roomie is filing bankruptcy is hogwash. He's a college student...loans won't be waived. It will cost him at minimum 2.5 k to even file. Geeshh... I call baloney on must of this story. But will stand by the main issue of: what is the procedure for personal property when a roommate is unable to vacate due to legal retention.
Our sheriff had to be contacted so we could enter the property . Itemized and tagged. Then the sheriff witnessed the lock on the storage rental. Our relative paid us back after the dust settled. No court needed for payment ..he paid up to get his stuff out

Old 05-05-2019, 12:08 PM

341 posts, read 293,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckreuz View Post
The problem is that my current roommate seems to be personally holding me accountable for his belongings and is threatening to sue me over them. I don't want to touch his belongings because he may come back after me for some reason.

He must be an idiot because if he's stuck in jail, doesn't have any money, doesn't know anyone in your state and he needs help, you're the only person who can help him. So if he's threatening to sue the only person who can help, then either he doesn't really care about this things, or his mental processes are malfunctioning. I would either just tell him to eff off, not touch his things and let him figure things out himself, or if you if you think that might cause bigger problems later maybe try and reason with him and say "look i'll help you with your sh** but then quit with the threats because why would I want to help your broke, incarcerated a$$ if you're threatening me? I'm not the one who put you here so don't blame me." Something like that you get the idea.

If this isn't the type of person who can be reasoned with, then I wouldn't touch his stuff - it's not your problem.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:57 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
He must be an idiot because if he's stuck in jail, doesn't have any money, doesn't know anyone in your state and he needs help, you're the only person who can help him. So if he's threatening to sue the only person who can help, then either he doesn't really care about this things, or his mental processes are malfunctioning. I would either just tell him to eff off, not touch his things and let him figure things out himself, or if you if you think that might cause bigger problems later maybe try and reason with him and say "look i'll help you with your sh** but then quit with the threats because why would I want to help your broke, incarcerated a$$ if you're threatening me? I'm not the one who put you here so don't blame me." Something like that you get the idea.

If this isn't the type of person who can be reasoned with, then I wouldn't touch his stuff - it's not your problem.
Ugh. Why can’t you people get it?

The stuff IS HIS PROBLEM.

Never be a joint tenant. Period, and this is why.

In order for the OP to be able to not have an unlawful detainer lawsuit filed against him and get his deposit back, on 6/12 that apartment needs to be completely clean.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:58 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
I already stated that; I colored it in red for you. when he doesn't know what to do, what supposed to do, don't do anything. He shouldn't act according to what he thinks especially with the description he gave to his roommate and his threatening with suing too (I depend on what OP stated, every one is innocent until proven guilty). All of those stuff don't do it right now until he makes sure by following the attorney's advice and informing the land lord. He already paid whole the rent if you noticed.

Read my first post also, it's the same but shorter and clearer. My post may seem worthless according to you but I'm more accurate and take into consideration other things that MIGHT happen in future and make those nothing in comparison with them.
That’s not what the attorney suggested. They said TALK TO THE LOCAL PD. The remainder of your posts are clogging the filter.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:17 PM

341 posts, read 293,054 times
Quote:

In order for the OP to be able to not have an unlawful detainer lawsuit filed against him and get his deposit back, on 6/12 that apartment needs to be completely clean.

On what date did you pass the bar in Georgia and receive your license to practice law in that state? Also how many years of experience do you have as a practicing attorney with regard to eviction and unlawful detainer proceedings in the state of Georgia?

Old 05-05-2019, 07:24 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
Quote:

Unlawful detainer for abandoned property? Maybe some landlords would go through the trouble of eviction for lots of junk but most would just store the stuff, hold it for the minimum length required by law and then discard.

OP obviously wants his deposit back. Best thing to do is put this room mate's junk in the car, park it wherever roommate says and be done with the situation.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 PM

8 posts, read 7,420 times
Thank you guys again for your comments and concerns. Most of his belongings are trash but what concerns me is that he said he has possession of Confidential information on thousands of people from his old law firm. I don't believe he should still have this info anymore anyways. He is trying to hold me accountable for that. In addition to this, he has his care here and the keys are in the apartment. I am more than willing to work with this man but I am back up to a corner and do not have many options. I'm going to speak with an attorney this week and see if there can be some way I can work this out before escalating it anymore. Perhaps I and have an attorney write up a letting for my roommate to sign giving me consent to move the stuff. I can have a police officer come by and monitor it as well. I am not sure what becomes of his car though. It is not my problem but if I choose to just leave, you can bet your ass he will come back at me even though I left it to the landlord to deal with. I live at an apartment complex currently and management has been working with me in getting this resolved. First step again is to pay for a lawyer and see what they can do. I was speaking to an attorney referenced by my work. I did not pay for him and he has only given some simple advice at this point. Again thank you guys for your helpful tips in this matter.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckreuz View Post
I'm going to speak with an attorney this week and see if there can be some way I can work this out before escalating it anymore.
You previously said you'd already spoken with an attorney. So, I'm confused.

Again, have you talked to local PD like attorney supposedly advised you? Have you spoken with LL?

Outside of that, I wouldn't worry about any supposed threats from this dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting