Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:41 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,383,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I rented my place Dec '13. A/C has never worked right. I have put in numerous complaints and it doesn't get fixed. I wasn't going to sign a lease renewal and they promised me up and down 'oh we'll get the a/c working for you' and I ended up stupidly signing that lease renewals. That will NOT happen again. Well, they still have not had it fixed. The apartment is in a brick building and when it's 70s outside it's 90s inside. It was in high 80s this weekend outside and approaching 100 inside. I was sick all weekend from the heat. My poor cats keep throwing up. I leave water down throughout apartment so they'll stay hydrated at least.

I seriously feel like just skipping out on the lease at this point, but I have trouble finding places to rent due to low income. I am on disability for multiple health problems which are aggravated by getting too hot. Landlords want you to be working a job and making 3 times amount of rent. Since disability doesn't pay much, I'm already paying over half the amount for rent in a place that is literally making me ill. Had I just moved out in cooler weather I could've saved enough to pay deposits somewhere. SSI only pays $733 a month, so every time I move somewhere I'm homeless at least two to three months just to save enough for deposits. Can't do that in hot summer with my pets. They'll die a lot faster in the vehicle.

I am really frustrated and worried about things. I keep wishing I had just not signed the renewal and moved out while I still could.

So, in my case the a/c has never functioned and I've been trying to get landlord to fix it for over a year now.

Can you check into buying a small enough window A/C Unit that you can install yourself or get help from someone? Then keep it when you move. You can order it online so it gets delivered. Then you just deal with the installation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 01:04 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,739,095 times
I agree with the window AC just so you can be comfortable. Which state are you in?

Old 06-08-2015, 01:31 PM

8,038 posts, read 3,374,557 times
I'm in KY. I've been looking about getting a used one. I don't have money for new one. It's beyond discomfort though. I've been literally sick from the heat. Last year when it was in the 90s outside it was like 110 or higher inside and I stayed sick to my stomach. My cats were sick too.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I'm in KY. I've been looking about getting a used one. I don't have money for new one. It's beyond discomfort though. I've been literally sick from the heat. Last year when it was in the 90s outside it was like 110 or higher inside and I stayed sick to my stomach. My cats were sick too.
Here's a link to a legal aid pdf file that talks specifically about air conditioning and how to get repairs done.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...8r4sJBMGJzB7kA

Do a search in the document for air conditioning.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,047 times
So its been two months and my landlord has not fixed my ac yet what do I do who do I complain to I live in kissimmee fl

Old 06-20-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegachristina10 View Post
So its been two months and my landlord has not fixed my ac yet what do I do who do I complain to I live in kissimmee fl
Landlord/Tenant Law in Florida / Publications / Consumer Protection / Consumer Resources / Consumer Services / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

Old 06-23-2015, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,975 times
I have a question I live in Pensacola Florida I just signed a 12 month lease back in April, 2015. My husband and I with my 3 children moved into this 3bedroom brick home. The first day we moved in we notice termites she said they were just the swormers a week after that my kitchen flooded the sink wasn't properly put on. however a month later my Ac broke its been really hot in my house I notified my landlord Friday of this problem someone comes over Monday gets it to run again but its still blowing warm air its now Tuesday we had no air for 3 days know can I withhold rent due to this issue.?

Old 06-23-2015, 02:01 PM

199 posts, read 380,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neat24 View Post
I have a question I live in Pensacola Florida I just signed a 12 month lease back in April, 2015. My husband and I with my 3 children moved into this 3bedroom brick home. The first day we moved in we notice termites she said they were just the swormers a week after that my kitchen flooded the sink wasn't properly put on. however a month later my Ac broke its been really hot in my house I notified my landlord Friday of this problem someone comes over Monday gets it to run again but its still blowing warm air its now Tuesday we had no air for 3 days know can I withhold rent due to this issue.?

Look up your state laws if you can or can't. In most states you can't withhold rent. If you do so you could face eviction from your landlord.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:03 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,440,395 times
City-Data is not the forum for legal advice...

Withholding Rent can have serious consequences and to do so not knowing the ramifications could leave you on the street.

There may be other options... repair and deduct... a call to a city/county agency.

Last I checked room A/C was very inexpensive... my family's is more important than the cost of $159 A/C units I recently saw at Home Depot.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:02 PM

32,512 posts, read 47,541,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neat24 View Post
........ can I withhold rent due to this issue.?
You can if you go to the housing courts and get permission from a judge. You don't get to live rent free. The rent money is paid to the court and it is placed into escrow. After the landlord does the repairs, the rent money is handed over to him.

However, it would have to be some sort of local law that requires working air conditioning, so that is your first project to research the law and find out if the landlord is required to provide AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting