Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 11:58 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times

Advertisements

I rent an apt. and the building (small) was just sold. I signed a new lease with the new owner and the security deposit I paid is acknowledged. He is not sure he got the SD transferred to him at sale.

I'm thinking, I don't have anything to worry about, right? Property was owned by a trust before, and managed by PM companies (2 or 3 since I moved in). So I think he is getting the run around about where the SD is. I would think his realtor or lawyer would be able to help him but he is somehow implying that I am the one who needs help.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:13 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
The fool should have not closed without getting the security deposits. It's his problem--not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 02:44 PM

486 posts, read 416,082 times
I think it's his problem, but it may become yours if he never actually gets it and it comes time to give you your security deposit back. He may be legally liable, but if he says he never got it, it may take legal action and time in court before you get it back. Or, he may be extra picky about all sorts of damages at your move-out inspection to try to deduct as much as possible from that security deposit.

There is no reason for him to think you need the help, he needs to do his job and get it figured out.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
He is not sure he got the SD transferred to him at sale.
That is his problem, not yours. It is no impact on his legal obligations to you as a tenant, either.

Quote:
but he is somehow implying that I am the one who needs help.
Typical. Don't fall for his B.S.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:37 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I'm thinking, I don't have anything to worry about, right? Property was owned by a trust before, and managed by PM companies (2 or 3 since I moved in). So I think he is getting the run around about where the SD is. I would think his realtor or lawyer would be able to help him but he is somehow implying that I am the one who needs help.

Assuming from your screen name that this is happening in Vermont, according to the Vermont security deposit statute:

4461. Security deposits
(f) Upon termination of the landlord's interest in the dwelling unit, the security deposit shall be transferred to the new landlord. The new landlord shall give the tenant actual notice of the new landlord's name and address with a statement that the security deposit has been transferred to the new landlord.

https://legislature.vermont.gov/stat...n/09/137/04461

The word "shall" creates a binding obligation on both landlords.

It's your new landlord's problem, not yours.

Feel free to send him (by mail, with proof of delivery, - not text or email) a copy of the statute advising him that he is not in compliance and it is, indeed, his problem.

I would also caution you to study the entire landlord-tenant statute and know your rights:

https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/chapter/09/137
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting