Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rental options while looking for a home to purchase
Sign and break lease 0 0%
Find a local sublet 7 100.00%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:41 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

So, you are OK with lying and being deceitful?

Go and find a short term rental to live in for a couple of months instead of costing your landlord a bunch of money by tricking him.

If he has a vacancy in October it might take a few months to get it rented. No one wants to move during holiday season which runs from before Thanksgiving to New Years and by then it is winter and no one wants to move in the winter.

He gave you an 8 month lease to get his vacancies back into the summer months.

I suggest that you move right now to that place where you want to buy, and rent a short term rental while you find something to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:48 PM

257 posts, read 223,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, you are OK with lying and being deceitful?

Go and find a short term rental to live in for a couple of months instead of costing your landlord a bunch of money by tricking him.

If he has a vacancy in October it might take a few months to get it rented. No one wants to move during holiday season which runs from before Thanksgiving to New Years and by then it is winter and no one wants to move in the winter.

He gave you an 8 month lease to get his vacancies back into the summer months.

I suggest that you move right now to that place where you want to buy, and rent a short term rental while you find something to buy.
Moderator cut: personal remarks

The landlord is aware that we plan on breaking the lease. We are the ones who get screwed if it doesn't rent.

Last edited by Marka; 05-31-2019 at 04:14 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 02:33 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
OP - You answered your own question! Get a short-term lease somewhere, why do you think it's okay to *********r landlord, put extra work on him/her/them? You have a "plan" - don't try to take advantage of someone else and put the onus on them.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
This is why the AZ Multihousing Association standard lease includes a re-letting fee that does not release the tenant from their rent obligations. You should just go get a short term rental and not jerk this guy around.

Last edited by Marka; 05-31-2019 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: removed off topic quote

Old 05-23-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
.......The landlord is aware that we plan on breaking the lease........

Yes, your landlord knows you intend to move. So, if he is smart, he won't sign you up to another year long lease. He'll kick you out right now.

Or else he will build a hefty lease break fee into your new lease.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Everything from your OP states that you want to have your cake and eat it to. But, your LL has things that he wants as well, and unfortunately for you, it's his property.

Why would you want to potentially put yourself on the hook for several/many months of mortgage payments and rent from your current lease at the same time? Just do one of these:

1) Find a short-term, month-to-month rental. Plenty of big complexes do them. You will pay more in rent though.
2) Move to your new area now.
3) Move to your new area in a year.

There's nothing in your OP outlining why you need to move in 6 months or so as opposed to a year from now. Personally, that's what I'd do.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Also understand that most private landlords are exempt from the Virginia Landlord Tenant Act. As such, no duty to mitigage will protect you from paying your full lease term.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:26 AM

257 posts, read 223,267 times
Well at this point I'm going to err on the side of action. Two difficult choices, one with more short-term pain (finding a sublet) making it seem like an equal to other (sign and break) but in the long run the sublet route is probably the better one when it comes to my wallet. At least it continues to motivate me to look for houses and move out of the area entirely. Hopefully in a couple months I find a house to buy and get out, if not I'll be paying 30% more in rent month-to-month facing another decision.

I'm still less sympathetic to the landlord's plight. He did a bait and switch and forced me into an 8-month lease when I tried going for a year.

Last edited by adriftinthebay; 05-24-2019 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Well at this point I'm going to err on the side of action. Two difficult choices, one with more short-term pain (finding a sublet) making it seem like an equal to other (sign and break) but in the long run the sublet route is probably the better one when it comes to my wallet. At least it continues to motivate me to look for houses and move out of the area entirely. Hopefully in a couple months I find a house to buy and get out, if not I'll be paying 30% more in rent month-to-month facing another decision.

I'm still less sympathetic to the landlord's plight. He did a bait and switch and forced me into an 8-month lease when I tried going for a year.
I'm not sure why you keep saying "sublet." If you find an actual sublet, that is going to be for a specific time frame as well, albeit shorter. What you need is a short-term, month-to-month rental. In my area, many of the large apartment complexes do them, although at a hefty premium.

But, you still haven't really outlined why you need to move in the time frame that you do as opposed to moving now or moving 12 months from now.

As to the bolded: did the LL hold a gun to your head and make you sign the lease? Doubtful. So, no, he didn't "force" you to sign the lease. If you didn't like the terms, you could have moved on. He has a business to run and, as such, wants to operate that business under certain conditions. Somehow he got off his ideal rental schedule and now wants to get back on it. Plus, you know, the LL doesn't have a "plight." You're the one with the plight.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
........ He did a bait and switch and forced me into an 8-month lease when I tried going for a year.

He forced you to sign an 8 month lease? What did he do, kidnap your children and threaten to sell them to Algeria if you didn't sign the lease? Poison your dog and tell you that your wife was next? Break two of your fingers and then hold a gun to your head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting