Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:24 AM

215 posts, read 1,657,844 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what people think is the best way to find a rental? I've tried newspapers, with mixed success. There are a few different websites I've found, but I'm not sure that's great either. Another idea I had was to try to find and contact property management companies (the people who manage the apartments) and see what units they have, but this is difficult as there seems to be a huge number of companies.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or knows of good websites or other ways to find a rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,078,289 times
Go to the areas you know you want to live in and walk up and down the streets looking for For Rent signs. The best places usually don't put up ads because they don't have to. Rental magazines here only list the elite/expensive places and the dumps.

And I said walk, on purpose. Don't drive. Get a feel for the neighborhood - and some exercise. I just did this and found a great new place (that wasn't advertised anywhere) and will move into it at the end of the month.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,028,615 times
How I do it:

Step 1: Visit and isolate the EXACT area you want to live in. Usually, after visiting an area and walking it, I find about a 5-block area that's optimally located between stores, entertainment, and outdoor activities. I write down numbers on for-rent signs and call to see if anyone can show it right away.
Step 2: Craig's List and web-searches for rentals in the area you want. Sometimes it's hard to get an address from them, so you often need to call and just ask "where is the apartment?" Keep google maps handy so you can say "okay, thanks, goodbye" if it's not in the area you want.
Step 3: Set up appointments and visit/walkthrough. I usually visit an area about 2-3 times before settling on something, unless I find a GREAT deal on the first trip.
Step 4: Rent it!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM

I like the idea of a waking though the area. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjbor View Post
I like the idea of a waking though the area. Thanks.
Best of luck, nickjbor. I know it's not easy to find the time to do it, which can make it stressful, but it's necessary. You're talking about the place you lay your head at night and spend a lot of time. If you're like me, you have to enjoy where you live because of the amount of time you spend there.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:50 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
Hard to do when you are a 1,000 miles away!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Hard to do when you are a 1,000 miles away!
That poses a different challenge wen you're relocating. I've done this many times and here's how I've done it. (It's not a technique for everyone.)

I tend to research everything to death. I could research brain surgery and be able to perform it by the time I was done. This is my key. (No, not that I need brain surgery.)

I research a town/city where I want to move and learn about the different parts of town. I find out where I'm going to be working and take the distance to work in consideration. Once I know the area and get enough information to know that it's not a crime-ridden slum, I start looking at apartments in the area on the internet. I go to local forums and get other peoples opinions about the place and start narrowing down the choices. I can eventually find the place I know I want without having seen it and contact the landlord. I've taken places sight-unseen before and never regretted it. If I'm still unsure about a place before I get there, I'll plan to spend up to a week at a local motel while I look around in person. I've always found something.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:10 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
Thanks SL but I keep hitting roadblocks on the internet!! Yes Before I am done I might need Brain surgery...are you game Doctor?? hehheehhe

Old 04-15-2008, 11:13 PM

Thanks guys. I took a quick cab ride though the areas of interest, and asked the cabbie if he knows about crime/saftey in the areas. I've been able to narrow it down to two streets that intersect. On my next day off my friend and I (looking for a 2 bedroom) will walk the area and see what we can find. Most of the apartments are low-rise (4 stories or less) in the area, and along the main drag. We've narrowed it down to a 2 mile / 3 KM stretch on the two streets.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:19 AM

183 posts, read 750,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I tend to research everything to death. I could research brain surgery and be able to perform it by the time I was done. This is my key. (No, not that I need brain surgery.)

I research a town/city where I want to move and learn about the different parts of town. I find out where I'm going to be working and take the distance to work in consideration. Once I know the area and get enough information to know that it's not a crime-ridden slum, I start looking at apartments in the area on the internet. I go to local forums and get other peoples opinions about the place and start narrowing down the choices. I can eventually find the place I know I want without having seen it and contact the landlord. I've taken places sight-unseen before and never regretted it. If I'm still unsure about a place before I get there, I'll plan to spend up to a week at a local motel while I look around in person. I've always found something.
I'm a research junkie too and Im trying to relocate from hundreds of miles away. So I live on my computer and visit the local City Data forum daily. (Charleston, SC). The folks on these forums are usually a great source of info and willing to answer most any question you might have about a particular area or even certain subdivisions or apartment complexes. Craigslist is also a great resource for at least getting an idea of what the average rent runs in a particular area. I have to agree with the idea of visiting the narrowed down area personally and looking for For Rent signs. Besides, if you have the luxury of visiting an area and looking around you may find that place is not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting