Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
No, even a homeowner cannot keep their house how they want if it means a health or fire hazard for others (neighbors).

If the police showed up at your door, there was reason why. Someone filed a complaint, someone else (health inspector, fire chief, etc...) drove by and agreed with the complaint, and it is the police officers job to deliver the news to you that the way you are living is a hazard.

You can be fined PER DAY in some counties and cities if you choose not to clean up. Your pets can be taken away if it is deemed that you have more than you can properly care for.

Time to start cleaning. Take stuff to Goodwill or the Salvation Army for donation (you can even get a tax credit for it), rent a dumpster or make a trip or two to the dump, make sure you get rid of garbage or food that is laying around as it will draw vermin (this makes you a health hazard to your neighbors because the mice, rats, roaches, etc... that you baited in will move into their homes also).

Good luck to you!
Where I live there is something called due process and That never happened... My neighbors said that they were unaware of how my house was... this was a case of racism because the majority of neighbors are mexican and i am white.. and they even were making comments that the city dont make me butcher the trees in my yard because I'm white... so they made malicious complaints so they could get me.. even after this happened they said the same thing... it is a futilist system that makes it so freedom is a historical fossil.. The constitution and bill of rights and even my home owners rights and no longer valid.. someday people will figure it out and that day will be the day what happened to me happens to you and everybody else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by why2cay View Post
Where I live there is something called due process and That never happened... My neighbors said that they were unaware of how my house was... this was a case of racism because the majority of neighbors are mexican and i am white.. and they even were making comments that the city dont make me butcher the trees in my yard because I'm white... so they made malicious complaints so they could get me.. even after this happened they said the same thing... it is a futilist system that makes it so freedom is a historical fossil.. The constitution and bill of rights and even my home owners rights and no longer valid.. someday people will figure it out and that day will be the day what happened to me happens to you and everybody else...

Racism? Really? Are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with your dirty house and yard?

Call your local city govt and ask them what's going on.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM

25 posts, read 54,999 times
not having furniture except for a foam pad sheets blanket and a cheap foldoing camp chair and using boxes fpor my laptop.
piles of paper etc. no odor no pests no fire hazard for 2 years. heater not working and my health is poor due to advanced age,
the mgr claimed they are waiting for a part in the mail to fix the heater. i said if i get sick and need hospitaliization due to lack of heat at night. it is almost november. the maintenance came by and did not resolve the issue and presumbly reported my apt messy. this is retaliatory. previous much delayed maintenance visits did not result in a demand to be neat or be evicted in 5 days. i pay rent on time and i wear clean clothes. i take showers. etc. i ventilate daily. the notice says sanitatoion and safety,
i just got out of the hospital. the mgmnt is slow to fix problems yet quick to harass, i could sue for a lot but i am very weak and cannotafford to move. the mgr will evict me if i say the notice is illegal. i am i no condotion to appear on court early morning. i will wind up in the hospital. i know some people are very cruel. they enjoy making others suffer. the weaker you are the more they love to hurt you. if a repair like lack of heat is unresolved isnt this retaliatory? do i have any case based on age and poor health? signed too old and tired to fight

Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtired View Post
not having furniture except for a foam pad sheets blanket and a cheap foldoing camp chair and using boxes fpor my laptop.
piles of paper etc. no odor no pests no fire hazard for 2 years. heater not working and my health is poor due to advanced age,
the mgr claimed they are waiting for a part in the mail to fix the heater. i said if i get sick and need hospitaliization due to lack of heat at night. it is almost november. the maintenance came by and did not resolve the issue and presumbly reported my apt messy. this is retaliatory. previous much delayed maintenance visits did not result in a demand to be neat or be evicted in 5 days. i pay rent on time and i wear clean clothes. i take showers. etc. i ventilate daily. the notice says sanitatoion and safety,
i just got out of the hospital. the mgmnt is slow to fix problems yet quick to harass, i could sue for a lot but i am very weak and cannotafford to move. the mgr will evict me if i say the notice is illegal. i am i no condotion to appear on court early morning. i will wind up in the hospital. i know some people are very cruel. they enjoy making others suffer. the weaker you are the more they love to hurt you. if a repair like lack of heat is unresolved isnt this retaliatory? do i have any case based on age and poor health? signed too old and tired to fight
Are you saying there is already a morning court date? It's not tomorrow morning, is it?

Not having furniture wouldn't cause a "sanitation and safety" allegation, so there must be something else that they're disputing. But if they're making it up out of whole cloth, and nothing is unsafe or unsanitary, you should take pictures to prove it. Send the pictures along with a letter explaining that they represent proof of sanitary living standards; keep a copy of both.

Also contact social services about your situation if you're in poor health and living in an unheated unit. They'll help you get in touch with tenant groups and/or senior protection services. The landlord must be breaking some sort of local codes if he's taking a long time to fix the heating without lending you space heaters. You didn't mention your state, so we can't find your local services for you.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Racism? Really? Are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with your dirty house and yard?

Call your local city govt and ask them what's going on.
assuming you did not issue a death threat and nothing stinks or is a fire hazard there are nicer ways of resolving the issue,such as specifying the objections and offering help. ultimately you can be forced to obey others if they have the power. the rule of law is the exception. the law of rule is the norm. be well.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Are you saying there is already a morning court date? It's not tomorrow morning, is it?

Not having furniture wouldn't cause a "sanitation and safety" allegation, so there must be something else that they're disputing. But if they're making it up out of whole cloth, and nothing is unsafe or unsanitary, you should take pictures to prove it. Send the pictures along with a letter explaining that they represent proof of sanitary living standards; keep a copy of both.

Also contact social services about your situation if you're in poor health and living in an unheated unit. They'll help you get in touch with tenant groups and/or senior protection services. The landlord must be breaking some sort of local codes if he's taking a long time to fix the heating without lending you space heaters. You didn't mention your state, so we can't find your local services for you.

Good luck!
thanks i will take photos to show the mgr, will not risk eviction, if i fight i will be persecuted. i will state the report was inaccurate and as for non hazardous clutter i will ask maintenance to help by dumping as i instruct
i have a lot of empty water bottles and pasta boxes. i have reasons. i will agree to have them dumped, otherwise they can suspect anything and these days .... i will even offer to tip the help - so that they do not steal. i will have to put all good stuff in cupboards etc that i can watch like a hawk. i have no car, i am too tired to do more, so thanks for your input. if i have to buy a space heater i will. only the strong can resist and the odds of losing are high. for me health is everything. petty tyrants are satisfied with 'fines.'

Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 PM

128 posts, read 233,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtired View Post
thanks i will take photos to show the mgr, will not risk eviction, if i fight i will be persecuted. i will state the report was inaccurate and as for non hazardous clutter i will ask maintenance to help by dumping as i instruct
i have a lot of empty water bottles and pasta boxes. i have reasons. i will agree to have them dumped, otherwise they can suspect anything and these days .... i will even offer to tip the help - so that they do not steal. i will have to put all good stuff in cupboards etc that i can watch like a hawk. i have no car, i am too tired to do more, so thanks for your input. if i have to buy a space heater i will. only the strong can resist and the odds of losing are high. for me health is everything. petty tyrants are satisfied with 'fines.'
Why do you have this stuff in your place and you don't throw it out?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Default y2k +13 = now

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2cay View Post
a lot of assumptions....we dont know how unsanitary or unsafe things are. so we cannot judge if the poster is a total slob or the mob is rumor mongering. we can assume the poster wishes to reside there instead of moving to a nicer place or has no choice. if it is an unruly mob the poster should consider adjusting until they can move. they would nit be the first refugee. when tony soprano bought 8 sq blocks including my apt complex and enforced protection i went along until i could move out. that was minor compared to the french leaving homes with a few items in a sack in june 1940. plus another 5 years plus years more to recover, plus wear and tear or worse. your rent or house price mainly reflects your neighborhood. money talks, capiche?

read your last post, get smart. the order to shake you down even if you are harmless is the order of the day.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 PM

all it takes is a rumor of a crime to bring law enforcement to your door. any atty will tell you to take your key and let the door self lock while you speak with these visitors. they wont think youre hiding rather that you follow standard legal advice, they will respect you if you are courteous. if they ask to look inside politely indicate that would only be ok with a warrant. no matter how they respond stand firm but stay calm and act friendly. you never know how a search will go. if they leave do a crash cleanup before they return with a warrant. if you have more than 5 cats put the rest in your car and park further away, you see its a cat and mouse game. forget your rights. you said it yourself. so be strong. as the romans said

si vis pacem parabellum. if you want peace be prepared for war.

the only thing force respects is force. the weaker and more confrontational the more likely you will be bullied.
the stronger and calmer you act the more your opponent will reconsider attacking you. as teddy roosevelt said

walk softly and carry a big stick.

remain calm. do not panic. if they get a warrant and retalliate, panic. the odds are if youre strong you can negotiate this.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nillawafer View Post
Hi,

This is probably a weird question, but what are a renters rights about being messy? Where is the line drawn? I'm a renter and a College student. I live in an apartment that is too small for my belongings and I don't have adequate storage space within the apartment nor do I have bookcases and such to hold stuff. Basically I have piles of stuff all over. These piles do get knocked over by me and my cats all the time. I haven't been putting the energy into cleaning my place up because of feeling exhausted all the time because of health issues. I constantly worry that the landlord will say that I can't have it this way and evict me. I don't want to live this way, but I don't have the energy to move right now and frankly I don't want to buy all the storage stuff to make this more livable, since I plan to move out of state in two years.

Its my stuff, does it have to be all nice and neat or am I just being paranoid?
Its not like I'm doing anything illegal. I'm just messy right now. Once I get an apartment that fits me I'm sure, like all my apartments before, it will be nice again, but I have to wait a few months before I can make a small move. I also will have it clean and possibly professionally cleaned when I move out.

Anything landlords can do or would do? It stresses me out when they come for inspections and there are comments, so far nothing has been done, but I always worry. Getting ready right now for a possible inspection. My back is already hurting me and I'm not even close to it being presentable. I have five more hours until they could appear. I just can't live like this it is stressing me out and hurting me too.

Thanks for any information.
Why the hell do people wanna live in filth? I'm not expecting USMC white glove inspection but if you can't keep the house clean god god. I mean if you have a health issue isn't that MORE reason to keep a clean dwelling?
As for the other poster about a LL not being able to inspect ok fine. There are other ways for me to come in. Completely legal. And btw I also now do month to month lease. I'm learning my lessons. Some of them from people on here like CptnRN, LOL_whut, NoMoreSnow, UltraRunner, and some others
As for entry to inspect I don't want to bother people. I expect a reasonable amount of clutter. But I have gone to my rentals unannounced. I have a rental that has all my materials in a small workshop. All the renters in those units know and they were told about it when they moved in and written in the lease. Not a one ever had a issue. I'm not a control freak nor do I have to spy on my tenants. I don't care if you hang some pics or decorate for Christmas.

Yes you can be messy. It's not a right really since our forefathers were worried about other things and forgot to put that one in the bill. But it's not illegal to be messy. I can guarantee you that its a fast way to find yourself another place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting