Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 AM

9 posts, read 6,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Entitlement.
Entitlement? If I'm not mistaken I am entitled to my own money right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 AM

838 posts, read 554,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Why does someone immediately jump to: Can I sue and how???
And did you automatically jump to Sue = Big Cash Payout? Mmhmm, I think so.

Assuming she did leave the place in above average shape, all this woman is asking for is her security deposit.... or at least a more reasonable amount back. You have to 'sue' someone to do that.

OP - Did you take pictures of the place before you left? I don't know the laws of your state but do a Google search on "Tenant Rights upon Move Out Inspection", etc. If you chose to be present during inspection I wonder if landlord is required to complete the exit list right then and there and provide to you? I'm just thinking out loud.

How long have you lived there? Because another thing to consider is, if and when you do get the list of repairs, ask yourself if it should be considered more wear and tear than actual damages. I have friends who rented a home for more than 15 years and landlord held all the security because the carpets needed to be replaced. My friends sued (yes, Flamingo13, I said it, SUED) to get it back and they won.

Good luck, OP.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 AM

289 posts, read 224,313 times
My leases do not allow the tenant to be present for final inspection. They move out, have carpets professionally cleaned and turn in their keys. After that, we do our inspection and release the security deposit less any charged damage.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3boys707 View Post
How can they refuse to rent to me? Section 8 is a different housing program than public housing. Maybe give me problems helping me with paying my rent but refuse to rent .. NO. They arent my landlord anymore.
Not here the Same Office & Same people handle Both local public housing & Section 8. And IF they refuse you the section 8 YOU will be responsible for paying the FULL Rent. They also Inspect your apt Every year!

Is it 21 days or 21 Business Days?

Old 10-09-2019, 01:04 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
How can they refuse to rent to me? Section 8 is a different housing program than public housing. Maybe give me problems helping me with paying my rent but refuse to rent .. NO. They arent my landlord anymore.

Pulic housing and section 8 housing are both run by the counties Housing Department.

http://www.butte-housing.com/applica...8-waitlist.php

Old 10-10-2019, 02:15 AM

Yes they are ran in the same building/office but they are 2 different programs with 2 different sets of rules and guidelines. 2 different fundings.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 AM

I'm pretty sure its 21 days. I've been through the small claims court process once before for the same thing and a different landlord(and I got ALL my money back), so I'm a little familiar with the tenant rights here in California. With a regular landlord the point of the walkthrough is to inform the tenant of anything that might need to be done still to avoid charges from their deposit. I lived there for 2 1/2 years

Old 10-11-2019, 08:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
In my state, the clock starts from the time you give them notice in writing of an address to mail the deposit back to you. So if it's been longer than that, and they haven't sent you back an accounting, then they've lost their opportunity to deduct anything, and they may owe you damages, too. Find out your state's law, then file against them in small claims court. Probably a good idea to send them a demand letter first, notifying them that the time to make deductions has expired, and that you expect immediate return of your entire deposit by such and such a date. When they don't do it (which is gonna be because the office is staffed by lazy public workers, not because "they're still working on figuring out the damages", then you'll have to file in small claims court. However, I don't know if you can sue a government entity without permission from the court. If that's the case, get help from your local state representative's office (state rep, not US congressional rep).

Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure its 21 days. I've been through the small claims court process once before for the same thing and a different landlord(and I got ALL my money back), so I'm a little familiar with the tenant rights here in California. With a regular landlord the point of the walkthrough is to inform the tenant of anything that might need to be done still to avoid charges from their deposit. I lived there for 2 1/2 years

Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 AM

289 posts, read 224,313 times
Quote:
You sound litigious. This is a prime example of why my background check service runs a litigation search on prospective tenants. Someone like yourself, that sued a landlord previously, would be an automatic decline for any of my units. Litigious tenants are a pain to deal with and should be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting