U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:02 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,669,128 times
I haven't ever lived in a place newer than 25 years old LOL. Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it. If paint is peeling, make sure your little ones aren't chewing it-which they shouldn't be regardless of how old it is. Other than that, I think it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 PM

896 posts, read 3,003,338 times
I've whined in a few other posts about our situation. I think you need to be very careful with an older home. We're living in a home being rented for the first time and every time something goes wrong--it's a catastrophe. Examples include believing that we were exaggerating over a leak, ignoring us and causing huge amounts of damage to their home and our furniture (I posted a thread about this in Dec.) and our recent incident was the microwave breaking (the motherboard blew up) and being told that we broke it just so we could get a new one. We pay our rent on time (and we pay a hefty amount -- not in our opinion but for the area). I began to think that these people hadn't rented before and that they were having a difficult time having someone live in the home they lived in for 38 years. But I have since found out that they own about 15 rental properties in the county so they have experience with renters--just not in their private home. When I made a comment about wear and tear, of two adults and four small children versus an older couple, she informed me that they've always had people in and out of their home (granddaughter visits during the summer, etc.) and have never had the kinds of problems that have been had since we moved in. I don't want to be a tenant's nightmare--we rarely ever call our landlord but be careful renting from a private homeowner--it could turn into our nightmare!! By the way--we have owned one previous home and own a home in Florida. We have had more issues with this house than we ever did in our two other homes. It's sad when my husband and I have to play rock, paper, scissors to call the landlord because we have a small leak under the kitchen sink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting