Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times

Advertisements

We found out recently that our landlady is undergoing chemo. This is probably it for her; it's her third round I think, and she's in her eighties. The problem is that we are now basically on our own. None of the phone numbers she gave us work; the only way we found out she was sick again was that a neighbor who's lived in the building for a very long time happened to have a cell number. When this neighbor called, the landlady was practically incoherent. She had hired a management company for a short time, but they did a terrible job so now she's the only one taking care of the apartment. The bushes around the building are growing out of control and have started to collapse into the parking lot. Half of the units (8 total) are vacant, and we just found out that one of them has been unlocked for years. We have no recourse if anything goes wrong in the building and nobody is taking care of the external areas. So, part one of my question is about that -- what kind of action, if any, should I take in this regard?

Part two of my question -- what happens if/when she dies? I'd like to think she has this all planned out, but one thing makes me think she might not: recently, a friend of our tried to rent an empty unit. The landlady gave him the phone number of the only guy in LA who has a key, and this guy was incredibly apathetic. He just gave my friend the master key, because the guy really didn't want to deal with the situation. This is quite alarming for obvious reasons. It makes me very nervous about what her plan is after she passes, if she even has one. She's always been slightly insane, and she has no family or anything. What are the legal rules here? We have rent control, and I don't know if our rent will go way up if ownership changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 04:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,322,740 times
Hey, who knows, you might get to live there for free for years until someone catches on.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:55 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,069,871 times
If you are really concerned the first thing you should do is go see her in the hospital. Ask the nurses if anyone has been to see her. They can't give you any specific information for legal purposes. If she does have a visitor, I would try to get in contact with that person and see if they are a relative. You can go to the County assessors office and found out who the legal owner is and any mortgage information if there is one. This is very important because if she does have a mortgage and it's not being paid, the property can go into foreclosure. You can take a power of attorney to the landlady and if she is coherent ask if you can take over paying the mortgage, get the landscaping taken care of, etc. until she is better. You might be able to go to the mortgage holder and pay the mortgage on her behalf, but you should have a signed power of attorney before you do. Unfortunately, when they find out the condition she is in, they might make a move to protect their interests which may not be in your best interests. It would be in the best interest of the tenants to join together and split the cost of an attorney.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,988,953 times
At the first sign of anything going wrong or anything important that needs attention and isn't getting it I would quit paying my rent and immediately start looking for a new apartment. Find the new apartment, move, and then pay off all your back rent.

Another thought is that you should document any problems not only with a diary but also with taking pictures. I presume you have a digital camera. Document your case.

I would be seriously concerned if I were you. Whatever you do, don't do nothing.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,624,577 times
great advice cespeed. this sounds like a sad situation for the old lady. tho it seems like a lot of work, these extra steps might be worth protecting your apt from a price hike in the future. good luck

Old 04-28-2008, 03:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,988,953 times
BTW my advice to quit paying if things start going wrong may sound a bit extreme but I'm basing that on the possibility that either intentionally or accidentally this building could slide into becoming one of those apartments with slumlords where the management never does anything to maintain or repair the building.

Of course you should continue paying your rent as long as day to day maintenance and repair needs continue to be addressed. However you should find a new apartment immediately if this process begins to fail.

The issue is of course compounded if there is a lease or if it's a rent controlled apartment with a good rate.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,334,795 times
I personally would think you would have more compassion for this woman who has suffered through three rounds of cancer and is at the age she is.

I would go and see her in the hospital and see if she has an attorney, see if she has family, someone to take over. If she is anything like my Mother who is 85, she is too stubborn to say she needs help. She might very well have family that can pick up the slack while she is sick.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 PM

7 posts, read 22,706 times
I've worked in property management for many years, what I'd suggest is looking at your original lease, there might be contact information or business address on it. If all else fails, continue to pay your rent on time and keep your receipts. If this lady should pass, someone most likely will be responsible over her estate and will need that information later. Keep a log of repairs that need to be taken care of, and be prepared to have to deal with a new owner. This is a tough situation, keep us posted in how it's going for you.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,610,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardToStayHardToGo View Post
I've worked in property management for many years, what I'd suggest is looking at your original lease, there might be contact information or business address on it. If all else fails, continue to pay your rent on time and keep your receipts. If this lady should pass, someone most likely will be responsible over her estate and will need that information later. Keep a log of repairs that need to be taken care of, and be prepared to have to deal with a new owner. This is a tough situation, keep us posted in how it's going for you.
and, if no one cashes your rent checks in the meantime, DON'T spend the money. even if the poor dear "has no family" now, she's going to have "grieving relatives" up the ying-yang the minute she dies. she has property. (yes, i'm cynical.)

unfortunately, without rent control, you can't do anything about a new owner raising the rent if you are in a month-to-month tenancy. if you are paying significantly below market rent, and a big increase would be a great hardship, you should mentally prepare yourself to move out soon, and begin to consider your options. the first thing her heirs or a new purchaser will do is raise the rents, especially if the building needs improvements. (that's not cynicism; it's reality.)

Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM

936 posts, read 2,193,993 times
Very sad situation. I'd continue to pay rent according to the lease. I'm assuming that you send your rent in the mail- get a receipt for doing that. If the building falls into disrepair meanwhile, then look at your lease with respect to any self-help provisions with respect to maintenance.

It becomes a gray area if you have to start paying for things out of your own pocket. Some states have laws against self-help types of efforts but it would sure seem that you should be able to deduct any expenses from your rental payment. If you continue to send in your rent but then find that you have to start paying for some things yourself (repairs, utilities, lawn care, etc.) then I'd contact an attorney for advice.

In our state, the lease would have to be honored by any subsequent owner of the property. But you'd be in a more difficult situation if you are in a month-to-month situation. But if that's the case, then you should have been aware of the potential of the landlord, or any new owner raising the rent with a short amount of notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting