Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 PM

34 posts, read 92,344 times

Advertisements

I recently found the perfect apartment in a Chicago high rise.

The one draw back is that parking in the building is by Valet only. Personally, I really dislike handing my keys over to a stranger and never utilize valet service when I go out. Everything else about the building makes up for this.

What I am wondering is, if you live in the building, are you required to tip the apartment valet? Since I use my car nearly every day, this could get really expensive. On top of this, a parking spot in the building costs $220 a month. In this case, is tipping included in this monthly charge?

What is the typical tip required for this type of Valet service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 04:51 AM

203 posts, read 925,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSDetroit View Post
I recently found the perfect apartment in a Chicago high rise.

The one draw back is that parking in the building is by Valet only. Personally, I really dislike handing my keys over to a stranger and never utilize valet service when I go out. Everything else about the building makes up for this.

What I am wondering is, if you live in the building, are you required to tip the apartment valet? Since I use my car nearly every day, this could get really expensive. On top of this, a parking spot in the building costs $220 a month. In this case, is tipping included in this monthly charge?

What is the typical tip required for this type of Valet service?
Interesting dilemma? Not a clue about the tipping, maybe it's time to get to know your neighbours and see what they say? The price of living in the big city,eh? But if you think about it valet parking may be a good idea in a highrise.........cuts down on theft and fender benders.
Price wise you may want to look into alternatives like craigslist if there's residential areas in your hood that could offer up some "parking/storage" at a reduced price. Mind you, it IS Chicago and you would probably appreciate the vehicle closer come winter!

How bout figuring the tips/parking/car insurance and maybe you can find something within walking distance to work?

Old 05-03-2008, 06:21 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,078,289 times
A forced amenity? Goes against my principles and I couldn't rent there at all, no matter how perfect everything else was. I have a cat and if the complex wants monthly "pet rent" I instantly move on. I don't cave-in to extortion.

As for tipping in your situation, how can you avoid it? Technically, no way should you be tipping. You HAVE to pay the fee and the valets CHOSE that job. But, if you don't pay, how can you be sure your car won't receive surprise nicks, scrapes, scratches or any other type of damage or theft?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,487,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
A forced amenity? Goes against my principles and I couldn't rent there at all, no matter how perfect everything else was. I have a cat and if the complex wants monthly "pet rent" I instantly move on. I don't cave-in to extortion.

As for tipping in your situation, how can you avoid it? Technically, no way should you be tipping. You HAVE to pay the fee and the valets CHOSE that job. But, if you don't pay, how can you be sure your car won't receive surprise nicks, scrapes, scratches or any other type of damage or theft?
You don't have to pay if you don't have a car.

You've already made the choice to have a vehicle and to use that vehicle. The high rise doesn't put you up to that... and having been in downtown Chicago a few times... I really recommend avoiding vehicular transport whenever possible.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,598,457 times
If you had a regular valet, I would give them a larger tip at Holiday time, instead of a daily tip.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,551,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If you had a regular valet, I would give them a larger tip at Holiday time, instead of a daily tip.
I agree. Or, I would just tell the valet that "instead of giving you something each day, how about if I take care of you once a month and then donate to the holiday fund" (if the building has one). Ck'ing with neighbors would be a good idea to see what they do. If different guys get the car each day, you could give a monthy amount to the garage manager to dole out evenly, and then tell the individual guys that you are doing that (or "women" valets, of course...).

I also agree that the car in the city is one big logistical/financial headache. If you truly need it, you have to, unfortunately, accept the high cost, though, and pay what it costs to have one here.

$220 is on the high side, indicating at least moderately upscale location or high rise. There are occasionally self park garages in areas (even the G Coast) where you can rent for less on a monthly basis. You can also sublet a space from someone else in their building. That's usually a reasonable $ option. Some landlords own numerous parking spaces and will rent to you directly (garage space only). Craig's List might be an option, but have never looked there for garages, or in the Trib either, but you might check. The valet service is definitely adding to the cost of the garage space (as doormen do to condo assessments or rent).

I have actually known people who have parked in a garage in the Evanston or N area and CTA'd it to their residential area....seems a bit much unless you need the car to get to work or transport children and there's no other way. If you don't use the car each day, that's actually a reasonable option. Daily, probably too much schlepping for a car.

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times
I have been renting a parking spot in a LSD highrise for the last three years, and have never seen anyone tip one of the valets outside of lump sum at Christmas. And even that isn't such a big tip. Most people give $15-20 to each valet, depending on who gets their car most often.

We pay $215 per month, by the way. That seems pretty typical on the North Side.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:22 AM

Well, all I know is whether you've seen it or not, it's not a bad idea to do it occasionally. We rented in a valet garage on Scott for many years and tipping was almost always done or at least regularly. It works both ways if you ever need a "favor" of some kind, dead battery needs jumping, extra fast get the car, that sort of thing.....

Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,048,141 times
How about talking to the valets or garage managers?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
How about talking to the valets or garage managers?
I have lived here my entire life, many many years in the heart of the city. If you can afford to grease the wheels, particularly for people who can help you who are in low paying jobs, everyone's life is easier and works better.

City that works. You have to be real about these things, that's my take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting