Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,668 times

Advertisements

I need some advice, I have been renting a house in San Bernardino County for 10 months, the landlords promised to make many repairs, some of which they did finally make in November 2009 after 5 months of me begging and threatening to have code enforcment come out, but there are many repairs still not made, and I am too tired of fighting with them and being verbally abused to continue in this lease, I have paid full rent for the time I lived here, but I have not had one full day of "quite enjoyment" the house is still not habitable by my standard, how can I get out of this lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,597 times
I have a month to month. Manager threatens to evict me whenever I have a complaint, minor or major. Can I be evicted on a whim of manager because he thinks I'm a nuisance?
My complaints: neighbors blast music late hours and into a.m. and I get no sleep and I've complained about toxic mold which they tested for but did not find anything so now want me to pay for services rendered and asked me to leave as I'm too expensive to keep around.
Do I have any recourse on a month to month?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,358,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenantsrus View Post
I have a month to month. Manager threatens to evict me whenever I have a complaint, minor or major. Can I be evicted on a whim of manager because he thinks I'm a nuisance?
My complaints: neighbors blast music late hours and into a.m. and I get no sleep and I've complained about toxic mold which they tested for but did not find anything so now want me to pay for services rendered and asked me to leave as I'm too expensive to keep around.
Do I have any recourse on a month to month?
The definition of Month to Month is that you can give 30 days notice to leave - or they can give it to you - and no reason is needed to do so.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
My landlord keeps sending me 3 day notices due to them alledgeing that I'm still delinquent on my water bill. However, I have sent the water company two separate checks totally the amount in the arrears, in fact, im still getting hit with late charges. I forwarded copies of these two checks over to the management company as proof that it was indeed sent. I put thec checks on two separate ocassions in the NWP water company envelope along with their statement sheet and the check. However, it appears that they never credited it to my account, nor can they find my money. When checking with my bank, it has not yet cleared. I called the company explain to them that checks were already forwarded, and simply wanted to wait until such time they are found. In the meantime, I've been paying what I believe is owed via online of course, that too is costing me money each month. Anyhow, the bank will charge me 25.00 each to stop the paments of those two checks sent. I on the other hand do not wish do stop them since, I firmly believe that they can be found and properly applied to my account. In the meantime, I'm getting every other day via both regular mail and on my door, 3 day notices...What can I do..I'm not delinquent on my rent and never have been. In fact, I always pay it on time...

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,475,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpagan83 View Post
My landlord keeps sending me 3 day notices due to them alledgeing that I'm still delinquent on my water bill. However, I have sent the water company two separate checks totally the amount in the arrears, in fact, im still getting hit with late charges. I forwarded copies of these two checks over to the management company as proof that it was indeed sent. I put thec checks on two separate ocassions in the NWP water company envelope along with their statement sheet and the check. However, it appears that they never credited it to my account, nor can they find my money. When checking with my bank, it has not yet cleared. I called the company explain to them that checks were already forwarded, and simply wanted to wait until such time they are found. In the meantime, I've been paying what I believe is owed via online of course, that too is costing me money each month. Anyhow, the bank will charge me 25.00 each to stop the paments of those two checks sent. I on the other hand do not wish do stop them since, I firmly believe that they can be found and properly applied to my account. In the meantime, I'm getting every other day via both regular mail and on my door, 3 day notices...What can I do..I'm not delinquent on my rent and never have been. In fact, I always pay it on time...
Normally the water company will tag the residence for non-payment... in such cases the best way is to make a visit to the nearest payment station to get a receipt in case proof is needed.

Lost in the mail generally doesn't work unless you have proof of mailing...

The bills must have been significantly delinquent... one on my tenants got behind 60 days and I recieved a notice to lien the property... it can be serious and expensive.

I'm certain the Landlord is being pro-active and all will be well once the bill is marked paid...

In the future try to pay the bill upon receipt... this way, it the check is lost you will still have time to use an alternate method...

No Landlord wants a good tenant to move...

Old 03-03-2012, 12:26 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,358,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpagan83 View Post
I on the other hand do not wish do stop them since, I firmly believe that they can be found and properly applied to my account.
Why do you firmly believe they can be found? If they haven't been applied to your account, and the water company has no record of your payment, and the checks haven't cleared at the bank - then it's time to go put a stop payment on those two checks, and go make a new payment in person, so you can get an actual receipt.

Why would you put your relationship with your landlord at risk, just to avoid putting a stop payment on a couple of checks that are clearly lost?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 966 times
Here's a quick piece of FREE advice (I wrote FREE in uppercase because its worth every penny!).
Whenever you have an interaction with someone, wherever you are in the United States, take the time to write down everything you can remember on a page in a spiral notebook. Get into the details, try to remember what the other person said and write it down as; "Said something like...". When you're finished write down; "The foregoing is true and correct to the best of my knowledge."
Date it, time stamp it, sign it.
It is now a MATERIAL FACT and is admissable in court as evidence. Another is to video the interaction. That too, is admissable as evidence. The court will only "hear" the facts. Not what you say the other person said, and vice/versa. It IS what you took the time to write down, or type on your 'puter. Whatever, date it, put down the time and sign. You now have evidence.
You can add an AFFIDAVIT if you have a witness. An affidavit is a sworn document that you do not have to testify to in court (so you can't perjure yourself). Guess what? The affidavit is another material fact. Photos with date/time stamps? Material fact. Anything tangible you can bring to court (if it actually goes that far) supporting "your side" of the interaction will be considered. Not what he said/ she said/ you said/ I said.
Good luck to anyone reading this- I've learned from experience- and I'm an old fart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting