Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,340,207 times

Advertisements

i am considering getting a roommate since i live in a big house alone.....what kind of company is the best for background checks? what kind of info do you need to provide to get info? what kind of info do these companies provide?
trying to go the cheapest route. anyone use these online services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,460,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i am considering getting a roommate since i live in a big house alone.....what kind of company is the best for background checks? what kind of info do you need to provide to get info? what kind of info do these companies provide?
I use the local Apartment Owner's Association... they provide free rental applications in compliance with city, state and federal law and I have 4 options I can choose depending on how detailed I want the report and how much I am willing to pay... the basic report is around $8

Please be careful and make certain you have written permission to run a credit check from your prospective tenant... the penalties can be costly without it.

Generally... the application will ask for full name, current and previous addresses, drivers license number, date of birth and social security number...

Old 05-12-2008, 04:59 PM

947 posts, read 3,564,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I use the local Apartment Owner's Association... they provide free rental applications in compliance with city, state and federal law and I have 4 options I can choose depending on how detailed I want the report and how much I am willing to pay... the basic report is around $8

Please be careful and make certain you have written permission to run a credit check from your prospective tenant... the penalties can be costly without it.

Generally... the application will ask for full name, current and previous addresses, drivers license number, date of birth and social security number...

I just filled out a rental application and it asked for my full name, birth date, todays date, current address and social security number along with my printer named and signature at the bottom on the same page as a typed statement giving the management company permission to do a background check on me through the Nebraska State Patrol.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:48 AM

6,330 posts, read 18,004,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
If National Tenant Network is in your area, check with them. We use them for all tenant screening and they perform credit check, eviction search, criminal background, terrorist database search. They will do the calling for previous landlord and job references for you also, if you want.

Be careful. Many people have bounced so many checks and been evicted, screwed their landlord/friends, etc. that they have no option but to seek out an anonymous roommate or a private landlord that doesn't run credit /background checks. So, your pool of candidates is already weighted with those who avoid regular apartments and property management companies.

Steve

Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 PM

323 posts, read 2,085,542 times
I've had a local realtor friend of mine run a check...am sure any realtor in your area could help.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM

414 posts, read 1,255,220 times
One thing I will mention is that some of these websites that promote criminal background checks etc., many times, the information they pull is either old, inaccurate or both. So do your research before selecting something like that. Once you select one, run a check on yourself to see how well it works. Also, make sure any potential roomie knows you are doing this and signs off on it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting