Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,504,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
If he took the post-it and left the door open it is probably his sick thrill at letting you KNOW he was there. Just a guess. I've dealt with this kind of thing before (wasn't a landlord) and the person that was sneaking in while we were gone would do things meant to f with me, like peeing in the toilet and leaving it, or putting a cigarette out in the sink. Stuff that said "I was here and you can't stop me".

I'd call the cops. And as for cops, (not trying to slam all of them), they aren't lawyers... take whatever they tell you can or cannot be done with a grain of salt and investigate on your own. I'm referring to the poster that said the cops said that since the maintenance guy had a key he was free to come in... that's just got to be nonsense. I've never heard of a state without a law protecting tenants from that sort of thing... there HAS to be notice given or an emergency for them to come in like that! I'm no lawyer.. but neither were those cops.

My partner had the police tell her that her 2.5 year old daughter was NOT "kidnapped" and that there was nothing they could do when her father abducted her, because she was "with her Dad", regardless of what the court order for custody said, regardless of what the law said... the police refused to make a missing person's report! Just crazy... so my point on that is, know your rights because the police won't always know and back you up.
I've had this happen too but with an ex who already had a felony conviction for breaking my collar bone and frankly, until you have the nannycam evidence, don't bother calling the cops, if anything that could increase the danger to you because they might be dumb enough to contact him without evidence assuming they aren't dumb enough to do nothing at all. No offence to any law enforcement, I have many friends who are real cops, in many capacities, but depending on the department you are dealing with and which cops you talk to you just might make the situation worse for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,504,391 times
Here's an example: the cop that said it was not illegal for a stranger (my ex) to be in my enclosed yard at 3am. The cop that said "I hit my kid too." The cop that said it was not illegal for a third party to place a spycam on a neighbors property facing into my bedroom window. I could go on, but you get the picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting