Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 07:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,350,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
I'm glad that the rental market is one area in this once-great country where adults still have to bear responsibility for their actions. Sorry that your daughters are paying the price for your screwing up.

Of course having to bear responsibility is the only way people are going to learn to do better.

Now few landlords will rent to you, knowing that since you screwed one person over so badly (it takes A LOT for a case to become an eviction) that you're likely to just do it to the next landlord down the road...potentially costing someone else thousands of dollars in the process.

Not necessarily, simply not appearing in court turns the weakest case into an eviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 07:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,350,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Grey market? I found my last two rentals on craigslist, am in my third happy year in the last one and the majority of people I know find their rentals there while the majority of landlords I know advertise there. Nothing "grey" about it.

Whole lot of subleasing and 'grey' activity on Craigslist. I'm renting a room from a middleman who rents the house from his buddy and then rents out the extra rooms at inflated prices. The buddy who owns the house is working several states away and pretty much out of the loop other than getting monthly checks for the house rent. The middleman is making almost as much as the owner.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,916,733 times
[quote=freemkt;37886949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

??? There are landlords who manage their own properties. For years I rented from these landlords. They verified employment and checked references specifically calling current and previous landlords. Credit was never checked and I never had an issue.

These days I live in a different (larger) market and credit/background checks appear to be the norm. While I have no criminal record and no arrests and no evictions my income is around poverty level and I can't fix my old bad credit on my pathetiic incoome. So it makes zero sense to me to even consider any professionally managed rental. Fortunately there are rooms for rent where paying the rent on time and not causing problems are sufficient and there is no professional screener to obsess over your credit.

Those landlords who manage their own properties have no problem filing for evictions and/or obtaining a judgment against a deadbeat tenant. Just because they don't check your credit or income doesn't mean you wont end up in court.

Get a real job. Get two real jobs. Your income is your problem and only you can do something about it.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,519,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Whole lot of subleasing and 'grey' activity on Craigslist. I'm renting a room from a middleman who rents the house from his buddy and then rents out the extra rooms at inflated prices. The buddy who owns the house is working several states away and pretty much out of the loop other than getting monthly checks for the house rent. The middleman is making almost as much as the owner.
What does that have to do with your assertion that craigslist is a "grey area"? Whatever arrangement the primary tenant has with the owner of the property isn't illegal and has nothing whatsoever to do with you.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,396,396 times
We manage 165 rental houses and plexes. Other than the signs in the yard, and people who stumble upon our website, pretty much all of our advertising is on Craigslist, and has been for years. There isn't another resource here for rental house advertising, so everyone, from those renting rooms in their house to those with 1000 properties, all use Craigslist.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 9,519,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momz885 View Post
i sure hope anyone of you never gets sick, looses you job, unexpected death in the family, get in a sever auto accident or any unexpected hardships!
no compassion!
its not a matter of compassion .. its a business matter. you have to keep things professional. a landlord is running a business not a welfare office or charity. If you are expecting a business to suffer a loss in order to be "compassionate" then soon he will be in the poor house, and now his tenants will suffer because he will lose everything.

of course if the landlord could give the poor tenant a reasonable time to find something, maybe that is ok, however, he cannot let someone just take all the time in the world,, in worse case scenario, there are people looking to take advantage of the kindness of others, and they will rip the person off.

therefore, the landlord has no choice but to keep things professional and not get into these issues by being unprofessional and irresponsible all because he "should" be compassionate.

I disagree with you on your point.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamrine View Post
I hope none of you are ever in a situation that you have no choice or be homeless! Heartless people. If you don't care about second chances look over your own lives on the outside of eviction and see how many second chances you have gotten.
Maybe someone could have been in a situation and doesn't mean that's thier character really in this economy you would suggest nothing like this would happen.
JUST BE HOMELESS IF YOU HAVE HAD A PAST ISSUE.
Again, you are another one which is not thinking professionally/business like. With a landlord/tenant it is a business relationship first.

I will bring it down to your level - if you are working at a job, what if your boss said "oh im sorry i dont have money to pay you, i had compassion on the homeless, so im giving your paycheck to that homeless. we should have compassion on them.. or lets say your EBT card/welfare benefits didn't come, and you dont have food in the house, you need your EBT card. So you hear this - Oh i am sorry Miss Tamrine, i had compassion on Mr Jones, he got your EBT card this month, you have beans and rice in your pantry.. he has nothing, i decided to give your food money to Mr Jones. have some compassion!!

You would NOT like it.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:11 PM

man, i do not get the posters here who are not thinking straight. they are probably the ones who say to the landlord "im sorry i dont have rent this month,, and then it turns into 3 more months of no rent. whats the landlord supposed to do? you guys who are not thinking right have some learning in the real world to do!

Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,357 times
So where do people go when they have been evicted? I understand why we are denied but is there any option? Any option at all?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:08 AM

32,539 posts, read 47,619,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfinder View Post
So where do people go when they have been evicted? I understand why we are denied but is there any option? Any option at all?
There are landlords who specialize in evictees, parolees, felons, and people with bad credit.

The rental will be in a not so nice area and maintenance will be sketchy. You will have to pay an extra high deposit. However, you will have a roof over your head. Pay the rent on time and take good care of the unit and you can earn yourself a good landlord reference. A good landlord reference is valuable when you are trying to move. That's why an evictionis so difficult; that is the very worst landlord reference you could possibly have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting