Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 11:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,353,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have been told that the City-Data system automatically adds photos that it thinks somehow relates to the discussion thread. But they rarely look like they relate well in my opinion.

Bots aren't very bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 11:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,353,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Bots aren't very bright.

As the bot just demonstrated - again.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 15,439 times
I am a LL who uses the rent received to pay the heating, water, utilities, maintenance, and even the mortgage on the building my tenants rent from. I listened to my last tenants many excuses for not having their rent. I tried working out payment plans, waiting for income tax, waiting for job loans until they were over 2 months behind...enough! So now I threaten to evict them because my savings is gone from paying bills that were supposed to be paid with the tenant's rent. But now it cost ME to start the eviction process. So those very tenants that begged me to give them a chance to show that they are good tenants, begged me to work with them to catch-up on their rent payments, and begged me to please consider not evicting them and consider renewing their lease (because they would eventually catch up in their rent payments), are now being evicted. In this SLOW process they are now milking this very flawed tenant friendly system, knowing that the landlord can't do a damn thing but wait until the sheriff throws them out. They are not paying nor even trying to pay a dime of rent, they now disregard every term of their Lease that they can (example they have brought pets in...Lease says no pets allowed). They've called city inspectors for no reason (didn't even let them in)...they are now showing their spiteful, vindictive sides as if I have done something wrong TO THEM. Even tho the judge has told them to move out with a 2 more week extension to do so, they have found ways to bleed even more time...all while not paying a dime of rent. I the Landlord has found my self in a position where if I didn't have a small savings (now gone), family and friends that I could borrow from, I would have lost my property by now and those tenants would just move on to their next (landlord) victim.

How does a Landlord become a tenants keeper...I can't even afford to let my own children rent for free. A tenant can have all the excuses they want (no matter how unfortunate) but a landlord can't pay a heating bill, a water bill, a maintenance bill or a mortgage with a tenants excuses.

Last edited by Angry Landlords; 09-19-2016 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: bad spelling

Old 09-19-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmain View Post
all the negative LLC's and landlords on here, I hope that you never experience any type of layoffs, corporate downsizes or medical issues for your high horse can be shot too.
If the tenants' rent is the Landlord's income used to keep and keep-up the property that you now live in, then when you don't pay your rent (for WHATEVER reason), it's the same as the tenant not paying the Landlord his pay check. Now you can give the Landlord your excuse for not paying him his check, but what possible excuse can the Landlord give the bank for being short on the mortgage, or what excuse will the city except when you report the Landlord because now he can't afford to keep your apartment warm or with running water. So yes when a tenant doesn't pay his rent, it's like the Landlord has lost his job to get paid the only difference is he still has to work for the tenant or be fined by the city until that tenant is evicted and gone... how ridiculously unfair is that!

Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 PM

Default Bottom-line, tenants always put themselves 1ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondchancerenter View Post
To everyonecwho thinks they know my situation, life, choices, etc...you dont. I know the meaning of hard work no stranger and i like it. I had a crappy childhood , but you dont hear me whining about it or thinking "I AM OWED" anything. You are only owed what you are willing to WORK for. MY BELIEF is that people have stopped giving two cents about other people. They are quick to pass jydgement without bothering to find out any facts. The responses to my post only go to validate how far we have gone to dehumanize our society. Of course there are those who have jaded society into believing that stern, hard nose, judgemental behavior. I will continue to work the hardest i can and take care of mine. And I AM GOING TO START NOT CARING WHAT PITIFUL SMALL MINDED, jaded ugly people like you think. I will do me, and if you or anyone else doesnt like it...ohh darn. I was not put on this planet to have everyone like me, or to make everyone happy. I will continue to help my fellow human when i can take care of family, and the rest of you can...well you figure it out. Thank you and have a blessed time in the furnace when you are judged for your actions.

In the end when all the unfortunate crap hits the fan and you can't pay your rent, you feel the Landlord should let you stay because you paid rent for so long and that should mean something (entitlement?). I've had tenants pay five good years straight and then couldn't, and when you can't unfortunately it's time for them to move where they can again afford the rent and not make it the landlord's responsibility to support you as if you were his child or something. That tenant paid five years straight but I still have 15 more years on the mortgage and the tenants utilities to pay. I can't stop paying bills just because of your misfortune. I can sympathize and feel genuinely bad for your situation, but I can't take your excuses nor my sympathy to my bank to pay the bills for this month and the next. And as I said...in the end the tenant is going to look out for themselves and THEIR family, not the Landlord and his family's situation (that you the sometimes very ungrateful tenant has put him in). That's why an already evicted tenant would scare the hell out of me to take a chance to rent to.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:29 PM

This lady needs help convincing a landlord that she won't put her next landlord thru the same hellish, time-consuming, expensive, state of aggravation that her last landlord experienced with her eviction. The reason she's going to have a real hard time with this dilemma is because of the laws which unfairly hold the landlord responsible for that tenants unfortunate position that they have suddenly found themselves in. If the law made it simple and said,"if you can't/won't pay your rent and the landlord wants you out...you have (let's say) 30 days to get out" and that tenant actually had to be gone in 30 days, I wouldn't even worry about a credit check, because I would know that getting them out wouldn't be this long ridiculous struggle to get my property back. The tenant would also take paying rent very seriously because they KNOW the consequences of not paying their rent. So instead of having that child's birthday party or buying the boyfriend those expensive Nikes, etc, the rent would become the priority (another reason Landlords are sceptical about younger tenants maturity in decision making). If the law was clear without the ridiculous number of loopholes that a tenant can play on, to stretch the time and add-on to the amount of money that a landlord has to dish out just to start a process to get a non-paying tenant out, evicted tenants would have a better chance of having a second chance of doing it right with the next landlord. So "CHANGE THE LAWS!", because that's our (LL's) worst fear...time, money, & AGGRAVATION. All of this just to take possession of our own property which the LAW demands we keep in adequate condition for a tenant to live in (whether the pay or not).

Last edited by Angry Landlords; 09-19-2016 at 01:38 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 10:25 PM

6 posts, read 5,986 times
Aargh! I wish I could share my 100% true storie(s). OMG Life isn't fair. Lie about it if you think you can get away with it. Or tell the absolute truth. Those things may drop off your records eventually. Poverty is not a crime. Just be a good person and it will all work out. My former landlord didn't even check my neighbors docs. He walked in with cash and maybe his parent's guarantees I don't know. They - he and his roommate - were young. And not lazy. Well-mannered too. My landlord was a religious type I think. A good person. From Armenia.

Last edited by doller; 09-20-2016 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-21-2016, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,859 times
Months later I am still renting motels and rooms for me and my children. Maybe if i become a professional squatter and stop even trying to be a decent tenant, I can really enrage the LLC's and owners to try and get me out.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:40 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,763,401 times
This thread must come up high in a Google search based on all the one-time posters we have here.

Question to the LLs here-

Have you ever given break to someone with an eviction/late rent/hard luck story and it actually worked out? They came up with the back rent and are otherwise a responsible tenant?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:56 PM

10,597 posts, read 12,040,198 times
1) This thread is YEEEEEAARS old….but continued discussion is fine by me
2) The only apartment -- a luxury building -- I've ever lived in required 1st, last months' rent, and a security deposit equal to a month's rent. So basically you needed three months rent. Some posts here made it seem that requirement is NOT standard. I know if I were a landlord that's what I'd ask. Actually I'd ask for MORE, if the local landlord/tenant laws let me.

3) A family member had a rental, and was a softie….never really screening tenants -- and letting people move in "because they were related to someone at church, and they needed a place." And of course they never consistently paid on time. BUT, thank God she got lucky in that whenever she asked the people to leave in 60 days….they did. But she'd also let them get there or four months behind by then. AARRRGH!

Unless I had at least a duplex, I'd never want to rent out just one property. I know there's money to be made. I just don't have the temperament to deal with the possible down sides. I just don't. Especially not in a landlord friendly jurisdiction.

The OP (again this was years ago) said she had a husband. I read a couple of pages and no one I saw suggested they rent in the husbands' name…..oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting