Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,136 times

Advertisements

My biggest problem are lying and thieving landlords that takes the money from those they will never rent from!

I co-signed for my sister apartment and on the last month of the lease she could not pay it ad never told me ( stupid I know) so now I have an eviction for something I never did but landlords don't care for the excuse because everybody with an eviction does not pay their bills and are horrible horrible people...yet they only rent to people no eviction, something happen to this people and now they got evicted..obviously the system is flawed because believe it or not crap happens.

But as a landlord you have the right and privilege to decide who you will allow in your very expensive property..I get it. You are letting strangers live in your home and you hope and pray they don't damage the crap out of it or burn it to the ground.

But if you find somebody you won't rent to then don't take their money! is low and horrible to take advantage of the desperate. Yes people with evictions sometimes are desperate to find a bigger home than an efficiency because they have children and things. for the past 3 months I have been looking for a bigger house 3 bedrooms because I run my online business from my house and it is growing . First thing out of my mouth is I have an eviction that way we won't both waste time. This one landlord tells me so? it will fall off in 2 years so come and look at the house. Gorgeous! and just what I need. paid my 100 dollars for my husband and I and Bam! Denied due to eviction.....Really? how is that to happen when he already knew and was fine with it. Won't call us back, won't pick up the phone. We found out it was declined on that website they have you fill out stuff online...took our 100 bucks when he knew he was not going to rent to us. This happened in an apt complex too! same thing! I wanted my sister to pay for her mistake but I guess I am going to have to suck it up and try and pay the bulk of it because I need a house but don't take money from desperate people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,919,786 times
You're eviction doesn't 'fall' off of anything. It will stay attached to you forever and amen. Lucky for you some landlords will forgive evictions after 10 yrs only if you kept your nose and credit clean for those 10 yrs.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,353,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
That's a very tough call and I'm sorry for you.

In my business (property management), an eviction is an automatic denial. I'm not being harsh, but I don't care to hear the excuse.

Maybe you'll get mor positive responses.

Good luck and I hope you'll find a new place.

I've never faced eviction but this is a good example of why I will never go through a property manager if I can avoid it.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:45 PM

[quote=Kim in FL;37871271]You're eviction doesn't 'fall' off of anything. It will stay attached to you forever and amen. Lucky for you some landlords will forgive evictions after 10 yrs only if you kept your nose and credit clean for those 10 yrs.[/quote

• Many people avoid property managers by going to thegrey market on Craigslist. (I have no idea how that bullet got there or how to delete it.)

Old 01-04-2015, 02:10 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,919,786 times
[quote=freemkt;37882872]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You're eviction doesn't 'fall' off of anything. It will stay attached to you forever and amen. Lucky for you some landlords will forgive evictions after 10 yrs only if you kept your nose and credit clean for those 10 yrs.[/quote

• Many people avoid property managers by going to thegrey market on C
  • raigslist. (I have no idea how that bullet got there or how to delete it.)
I hope you don't plan on leaving mom's basement anytime soon...you have a lot to learn about renting.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,524,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many people avoid property managers by going to thegrey market on Craigslist.
Grey market? I found my last two rentals on craigslist, am in my third happy year in the last one and the majority of people I know find their rentals there while the majority of landlords I know advertise there. Nothing "grey" about it.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 PM

292 posts, read 1,241,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Grey market? I found my last two rentals on craigslist, am in my third happy year in the last one and the majority of people I know find their rentals there while the majority of landlords I know advertise there. Nothing "grey" about it.
Yep, in some cities that is the default source for apartments, especially where there are a lot of private landlords. I advertised our property on CL, and my property manager would be certain to do a thorough check on you if you applied.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:30 PM

687 posts, read 911,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyD View Post
I have an eviction on my credit and I need a place. The apartment I live in is not good for my daughters.
I'm glad that the rental market is one area in this once-great country where adults still have to bear responsibility for their actions. Sorry that your daughters are paying the price for your screwing up.

Of course having to bear responsibility is the only way people are going to learn to do better.

Now few landlords will rent to you, knowing that since you screwed one person over so badly (it takes A LOT for a case to become an eviction) that you're likely to just do it to the next landlord down the road...potentially costing someone else thousands of dollars in the process.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:37 PM

[quote=Kim in FL;37883160]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

I hope you don't plan on leaving mom's basement anytime soon...you have a lot to learn about renting.

??? There are landlords who manage their own properties. For years I rented from these landlords. They verified employment and checked references specifically calling current and previous landlords. Credit was never checked and I never had an issue.

These days I live in a different (larger) market and credit/background checks appear to be the norm. While I have no criminal record and no arrests and no evictions my income is around poverty level and I can't fix my old bad credit on my pathetiic incoome. So it makes zero sense to me to even consider any professionally managed rental. Fortunately there are rooms for rent where paying the rent on time and not causing problems are sufficient and there is no professional screener to obsess over your credit.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
I'm glad that the rental market is one area in this once-great country where adults still have to bear responsibility for their actions. Sorry that your daughters are paying the price for your screwing up.

Of course having to bear responsibility is the only way people are going to learn to do better.

Now few landlords will rent to you, knowing that since you screwed one person over so badly (it takes A LOT for a case to become an eviction) that you're likely to just do it to the next landlord down the road...potentially costing someone else thousands of dollars in the process.

Your mileage may vary, often by location. What you say applies to most landlords in most places at most times. There are certainly SOME landlords at SOME times in SOME places who are quick to evict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting