Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,199 times

Advertisements

So, the original poster in this thread is angry that these neighbors (who have never bothered anyone) have (or are merely leasing) nice cars and own pit-bulls (which the poster claims to have seen a $1500 receipt for). The original poster speculates, without evidence, that the neighbors are running an illegal dog breeding operation.

Let me guess, the original poster is white and these neighbors are not? It looks to me like someone needs to mind his or her own business and also needs to realize the neighbors will guess who the rat was if they get evicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 01:00 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,130,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard9Lizard View Post
So, the original poster in this thread is angry that these neighbors (who have never bothered anyone) have (or are merely leasing) nice cars and own pit-bulls (which the poster claims to have seen a $1500 receipt for). The original poster speculates, without evidence, that the neighbors are running an illegal dog breeding operation.

Let me guess, the original poster is white and these neighbors are not? It looks to me like someone needs to mind his or her own business and also needs to realize the neighbors will guess who the rat was if they get evicted.
The concern is becoming more common as people find out that social programs do come at the expense of the rest of us. You can either look at this that if the abusers were eliminated there would be more available for those in need or it wouldn't cost us so much. Either way, people are getting tired of the abuse.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:49 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard9Lizard View Post

I may have missed it... don't recall race being mentioned.

Neighborhoods that are apathetic with no one caring what happens often invite trouble...

Neighborhoods with active Neighborhood Watch Programs and Calling Trees in place are sometimes seen as meddling...

I would rather live in a neighborhood where people do take an interest...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:20 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,718,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo202 View Post
Anyone know the rules and restrictions for Section 8 people?

A section 8 person lives in next to a condo I own in Montgomery County. These people have a $120,000 fully customized Mercedes-Benz and living off welfare. Makes me sick, but I've grown accustomed to looking the other way. These people have fancy cars, expensive clothes, $500 sunglasses yet can't speak a coherent sentence.

Well, I am a rabid animal lover (no pun intended) and I just found out my Section 8 neighbors have decided to breed pit bulls. They bought 2 for $1,500 EACH and now they want to make more. I have nothing against pit-bulls, but one trip to PG humane society will tell you just how many dogs are put to sleep because of irresponsible and ignorant breeders like this a$$hole.

Anyhow, I'm so disgusted right now. What can I do to get these people out of here?

The qualifications for a 2 tenant is like just under $30K a year for 2 bed/2 bath. But after 90 days, they can be making any income, the rule says they can't kick you out for that. So people who once made under $30 and now make over $100K do not have to leave. The money may be coming from elsewhere that they do not have to declare because it is not W-2.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
The qualifications for a 2 tenant is like just under $30K a year for 2 bed/2 bath. But after 90 days, they can be making any income, the rule says they can't kick you out for that. So people who once made under $30 and now make over $100K do not have to leave. The money may be coming from elsewhere that they do not have to declare because it is not W-2.
If the family income changes... the program requires Housing Eligibility be notified and the rent will be adjusted accordingly... once a year the family's income is audited in any event.

Unreported income is illegal and most likely tax evasion.

I've had tenants that went to school and got good jobs... like city bus driver, preschool teacher, etc... eventually they leave the program because their income exceeds the maximum...

One paid $1337 each month and the Housing Authority paid $13 each month... when she started on the program... she paid $60 and Housing paid $1140...

Old 11-20-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
If the family income changes... the program requires Housing Eligibility be notified and the rent will be adjusted accordingly... once a year the family's income is audited in any event.

I've had tenants that went to school and got good jobs... like city bus driver, preschool teacher, etc... eventually they leave the program because their income exceeds the maximum...

One paid $1337 each month and the Housing Authority paid $13 each month... when she started on the program... she paid $60 and Housing paid $1140...
I personally lived in Section 8 for many years. Yes, you have to notify your income but that does not mean they can kick you out just because youi make a high income and your rent does not change much either. The maximum they can raise is $25 a month for the following year.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I personally lived in Section 8 for many years. Yes, you have to notify your income but that does not mean they can kick you out just because youi make a high income and your rent does not change much either. The maximum they can raise is $25 a month for the following year.
All of my Section 8 and Voucher experience is in the SF Bay Area... the difference could be regional.

The maximum Section 8 can do is drop a family (or owner) from the program... they have no authority other than that... the unit belongs to the Landlord and the Tenant has a lease with the Landlord and the Landlord has a HAP (Housing Assistance Payment Contract) with the Housing Authority...

The program continues to evolve since I first started back in 82-83

Today, I had an annual inspection and the tenants portion of the rent is increasing 40%... she went from part time statue to full time at her job... Some owners look for tenants that don't work because the check from the Housing Authority to the owner is larger. All the tenants I have under the program either work, are disabled or elderly...

About 15% of the families I've rented to under the program eventually don't need it...

I have some families where I now rent to the third generation...

What you describe sounds like conventional housing... sometimes referred to as the projects... the Housing Authority is the Landlord and approves tenants and evicts if necessary...

Local Housing Authorities do have some latitude when it comes to implementation.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 PM

328 posts, read 883,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo202 View Post
Anyone know the rules and restrictions for Section 8 people?

A section 8 person lives in next to a condo I own in Montgomery County. These people have a $120,000 fully customized Mercedes-Benz and living off welfare. Makes me sick, but I've grown accustomed to looking the other way. These people have fancy cars, expensive clothes, $500 sunglasses yet can't speak a coherent sentence.

Well, I am a rabid animal lover (no pun intended) and I just found out my Section 8 neighbors have decided to breed pit bulls. They bought 2 for $1,500 EACH and now they want to make more. I have nothing against pit-bulls, but one trip to PG humane society will tell you just how many dogs are put to sleep because of irresponsible and ignorant breeders like this a$$hole.

Anyhow, I'm so disgusted right now. What can I do to get these people out of here?
They are disgusting. Unfortunately, the people who need it do not get it. Trash! Sue the person who owns the condo.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,541,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner35 View Post
They are disgusting. Unfortunately, the people who need it do not get it. Trash! Sue the person who owns the condo.
Sue them for what? All over the country builders are doing the same with section 8.

Better solution: Call code enforcement or an animal rights agency.

I find it hard to even get food stamps without preparation ahead of time, lol.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Every time I had to renew, I did have to show income statement but it would not matter if I made $10K a year or $100K a year. I would be able to renew my lease as long as I wanted to stay. My rent went up $25 every year and that was the maximum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting