Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:52 PM

71 posts, read 336,747 times

Advertisements

Anyone know the rules and restrictions for Section 8 people?

A section 8 person lives in next to a condo I own in Montgomery County. These people have a $120,000 fully customized Mercedes-Benz and living off welfare. Makes me sick, but I've grown accustomed to looking the other way. These people have fancy cars, expensive clothes, $500 sunglasses yet can't speak a coherent sentence.

Well, I am a rabid animal lover (no pun intended) and I just found out my Section 8 neighbors have decided to breed pit bulls. They bought 2 for $1,500 EACH and now they want to make more. I have nothing against pit-bulls, but one trip to PG humane society will tell you just how many dogs are put to sleep because of irresponsible and ignorant breeders like this a$$hole.

Anyhow, I'm so disgusted right now. What can I do to get these people out of here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 PM

335 posts, read 1,026,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo202 View Post
Anyone know the rules and restrictions for Section 8 people?

A section 8 person lives in next to a condo I own in Montgomery County. These people have a $120,000 fully customized Mercedes-Benz and living off welfare. Makes me sick, but I've grown accustomed to looking the other way. These people have fancy cars, expensive clothes, $500 sunglasses yet can't speak a coherent sentence.

Well, I am a rabid animal lover (no pun intended) and I just found out my Section 8 neighbors have decided to breed pit bulls. They bought 2 for $1,500 EACH and now they want to make more. I have nothing against pit-bulls, but one trip to PG humane society will tell you just how many dogs are put to sleep because of irresponsible and ignorant breeders like this a$$hole.

Anyhow, I'm so disgusted right now. What can I do to get these people out of here?
I believe they get housing based on income. I think in order to be income eligible they haveto fall below a certain income bracket, the fact that they have a benz, expensive clothes and what not is def. suspicious. I think (don't hold me to it) that they are only supposed to have certain people living in their home as well. And if they are driving around fancy cars and purchasing expensive dogs this is def worth calling section 8 about and do an anonymous report.
My parents struggled with a section 8 person also. A young single mother (which I have no problem with she has to live somewhere) she was not the issue, he issue was the people she was bringing around the home and allowed to live their (which I was told was against the rules). We live in a fairly small city so it everyone who was raised here knows everybody else. Well I began to see people coming over that are known for drugs and drug selling and I obsrved many men coming when she was not home and putting stereos and other equipment into her garage. Aside from this she threw big parties and blared music till all hours of the night, my dad finally called the police and made a report, all of ther neighbors joined in to get her out because there were other young children in the neighborhood whom had to see this crap. Come to find out a neighbor called section 8 and reported the observations and stated that almost 30 people had signed a petition so they came to check the house out. They found three men there who swore they were just visiting *rolls eyes* the house was destroyed, there were cig burns in the carpet and holes in the wall. The police also supplied reports about the times they had been called out. Ultimately she was evicted...she ignored the sign of eviction for several months (my parents were good friends with the owners and they were despaired because they could not get her out) until the police came out again and found stolen merchandise in the garage and drugs for sale also. Scary to think isn't it? If I were you I would call housing asap. At least to report what you have observed.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,391,831 times
Sounds like they know how to work the system...

Section 8 is income based... and they also look at a person's assets... many people know this and purposely have nothing in their name... aside from a small monthly AFDC or General Assistance Check.

In the previous poster's situation... the only reason the tenant was eventually forced to move is because the neighborhood came together and didnt back down. This it truly an exception because most people will choose not to get involved.

It is a violation to have people living in the unit that are not on the Lease... it can be hard to prove a person's occupancy when they have another place to call home for their mail and also use the address for their driver's license.

The easiest way to evict is for non-payment of rent because the rent has either been paid or not...

The second way is being able to prove criminal activity with court and police records...

Just about everything else is subjective and quickly turns into a he said/she said type of argument and is difficult to prove.

This was not always the case... At one time, a property owner could just give the tenant a 30 day notice to vacate and that was it... Many areas now have "Just Cause" eviction requirements where the owner has to be able to prove repeated and substantial lease violations... Section 8 also has rules that must be followed in order to evict.

As bad as they are reported to be... I find it hard to believe the rent is paid promptly and in full each month...

The owner could always bribe the tenant by making it worth their while to leave...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:40 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,089,894 times
Section 8 is based on income..assets can only be $2,000 for single or $3,000 for couple. Proof of value is hard...I paid $350 for my van but book is worth $800. They could have claimed the car as a gift, etc. Dogs would be hard to prove real value & as long as they claim puppy sales on thier income tax then they are not breaking any rules. Owning a dog on section 8 is not against the rules either....sorry but unless you can prove they are not reporting ALL income then there is nothing you can do!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 PM

22,181 posts, read 29,152,023 times
Call the ASPCA or Humane Society about the pit bulls. Even the county animal services. Is there a HOA in the condo building? What about searching public records and alerting the owner of the condo to what is going on? Get ahold of someone from section 8 as well and alert them to the situation. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:43 PM

WHY call the SPCA...there was no abuse mentioned??

Old 05-15-2008, 04:27 PM

ASPCA-They are more than likely breeding the pit bulls for fighting or they could be not taking care of the animals correctly.

Do you honestly think that these people who are obviously abusing the government and flaunting it give two craps the welfare of two dogs??

Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM

I AM on Section 8 & I have a purebred dog! Do you think I am abusing her???

Old 05-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Where in my post did I say you were abusing your dog? Please move on

Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 PM

You brought it up! If the poster said they were shelties for instance I bet you never would have suggested for her to call the SPCA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting