Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,499,088 times

Advertisements

It just doesn't work that way though. I have lived next to quiet and studious 20 year olds and loud drunken 50 year olds.

Life just isn't that black and white, young and old. Assh**es will be ass*h**es at any age!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,546,470 times
I think many more renters are use to living that way with the noise and such.Remember that more and more the feds are not buiding housing projects as they find it cheaper to pay for section 8 instead. But it is getting more common in neigborhoods too. That is the reason for HOA;s and fining people and sueing them iif needed for breaking a contract when they buy the house.Take it one step further and you have gated communties with HOAs.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:54 AM

941 posts, read 2,297,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
It just doesn't work that way though. I have lived next to quiet and studious 20 year olds and loud drunken 50 year olds.

Life just isn't that black and white, young and old. Assh**es will be ass*h**es at any age!
You are a sayer of true stuff huh? I have people next door to me well up in age, and they are just as rude and loud as anyone. They slam doors and blast music like teens, ignorant fools come in all ages.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,457,292 times
I mean I live upstairs to avoid some noise but I had a man in his 50s live below me. They went to bed nice & early. Unfortunately his snoring was so horrible it traveled through the floor to my bedroom at night & even with the TV on it was awful. I can adjust to sleep through car alarms, parties, arguments etc. But landscaping noises early on a Sun AM or a snoring man is not possible for me at all...ETA I tend to be someone who minds my own business though & adjusts. Life is noisy, we live in close quarters & I am sure there have been times that I have woken others up. It happens, people argue, people run dishwashers, people slam doors come in early/late run vacuum cleaners. It is life & part of renting - so I learn to work out & control what I can to ensure I sleep through it. Controlling others doesn't work. That is my tip as a renter.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:00 PM

262 posts, read 484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

Ain't this the truth!!!! I am putting in my 60 days (meaning I will be paying an extra $125 for the next two months) and getting out of here because the tenants on the other side of the fence (read: NOT in our apartments) playing their music so loud - morning, noon and night - that I can sing along, word for word! And I'm on the second floor! (Oh, and they talk that loud, too. I can actually hear their voices OVER the music.) They are an entire family, and the main ones are OLDER, like in their late 50s. I feel so bad for the people who actually live in that apartment complex. Last night they played their music so loud for so long that I went into the bathroom and went to sleep in the tub! What the hell gives them the right to play their music like that!? Now I have to give up my nice, affordable apartment that is nearby my parents and move God knows where and pay God knows much. I'm in tears over this! OUR apartment complex is quiet, working class people trying to work and raise their kids. We get along, watch after each other, the whole nine. I just want to choke the people on the other side of the fence!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,181,361 times
Why dont you call the cops?

I wouldnt be moving if it was that loud. THEY would or be ****.
Thats absolute crap.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:35 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,313,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
Ain't this the truth!!!! I am putting in my 60 days (meaning I will be paying an extra $125 for the next two months) and getting out of here because the tenants on the other side of the fence (read: NOT in our apartments) playing their music so loud - morning, noon and night - that I can sing along, word for word! And I'm on the second floor! (Oh, and they talk that loud, too. I can actually hear their voices OVER the music.) They are an entire family, and the main ones are OLDER, like in their late 50s. I feel so bad for the people who actually live in that apartment complex. Last night they played their music so loud for so long that I went into the bathroom and went to sleep in the tub! What the hell gives them the right to play their music like that!? Now I have to give up my nice, affordable apartment that is nearby my parents and move God knows where and pay God knows much. I'm in tears over this! OUR apartment complex is quiet, working class people trying to work and raise their kids. We get along, watch after each other, the whole nine. I just want to choke the people on the other side of the fence!
That's the worst! Call these cops every single time! Get others in your building to do the same. The property owners rental license will be in jeopardy with too many calls to the police. If the police don't put an end to the noise, the owner will.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,457,292 times
You said they have direct neighbors. Given how bad the noise is that you describe, I'm surprised none of them have complained or called the police, especially since you are moving out.

However, if you complain to the landlord & the situation is so disruptive as to make it unlivable & they do nothing about it, you might be able to break the lease without paying a penalty. However, if the next door neighbors haven't complained about the noise you might have a hard time proving just cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post

Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 PM

262 posts, read 484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Why dont you call the cops?
What makes you think I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
You said they have direct neighbors. Given how bad the noise is that you describe, I'm surprised none of them have complained or called the police, especially since you are moving out.
I'm SHOCKED. I'm not even in the same complex as they are. I can't figure out how in the world the people in that actual building can take that noise. Are these people the Sopranos and I don't know it?

Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 PM

758 posts, read 1,230,576 times
Good thing I am deaf so I won't be able to hear anything and I just moved in yesterday and I'm on the first floor so no problem for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting