Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,195 times

Advertisements

Maybe you should talk to their neighbors & see how they are dealing with it - perhaps they have complained & were told it wasn't bothering anyone else. If everyone complains the landlord has to do something. If it isn't bothering anyone else then you may have to look for a new rental that will provide different accommodations for you. Either way it will help you to either keep your current rental and/or not lose extra money breaking the lease if it is with merit OR finding a rental more appropriately matched - HTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
What makes you think I don't?

I'm SHOCKED. I'm not even in the same complex as they are. I can't figure out how in the world the people in that actual building can take that noise. Are these people the Sopranos and I don't know it?

Old 07-02-2008, 01:10 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Penny-Send the disturbing neighbors a certified letter from their same address stating that they are making too much noise and you have spoken with the apartment mgmt and the police and are continuing to pursue it. Tell them if they do not cease immediately, you will pursue them in small claims court. (You do have a right to sue for not enjoying your unit) I would also send a certified letter to the apartment complex and tell them if they do not do something about their tenants, you will pursue them in court as well. Got a tape recorder or video camera??? Record them and show to their mgmt or take it to court if needed. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Well, "some" of the noise has decreased, but we can still hear the 2 yr old running across the floor (our ceiling) and hear one of her parents running after her sometimes. It sounds like the father has work boots on when he runs! We also hear the 2 yr old stomping her feet on the floor (sounds like she is sitting in a chair while doing it). We don't want to get into any legal battle with these folks, so we are just waiting until our lease is up in Oct and get the heck out!
This whole thing has be ridiculous and it makes both (wife/I) upset that these people have NO respect for us living below them or for anyone that would live below them!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
b75

Well the noise you described sounds like normal everyday noise - I don't really think it is all that inconsiderate on their part from what you posted. I mean 2 year olds run & jump - it is normal & anything other than that would be a bit developmentally abnormal. People move around & the noise level can often be magnified to the person downstairs, so that normal movement sounds like something abnormal is occurring (ie stomping when it is mere walking even in stocking feet). I personally never rent a downstairs apartment b/c of that. But, I don't see you effectively suing someone even if they wore shoes in their apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, "some" of the noise has decreased, but we can still hear the 2 yr old running across the floor (our ceiling) and hear one of her parents running after her sometimes. It sounds like the father has work boots on when he runs! We also hear the 2 yr old stomping her feet on the floor (sounds like she is sitting in a chair while doing it). We don't want to get into any legal battle with these folks, so we are just waiting until our lease is up in Oct and get the heck out!
This whole thing has be ridiculous and it makes both (wife/I) upset that these people have NO respect for us living below them or for anyone that would live below them!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:06 PM

40 posts, read 160,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I'm back again. I decided to take a look at my Thread to see the newer postings. Boy, you folks have had some real problems with people in apartments!!
As I write this, both the 2 yr. old and an adult are running above me and making one heck of a lot of noise! I swear, people like this just don't care about the people that live below them. And, on top of that, the Management here won't do anything anymore. All he has told me is "This is a family complex and there will be noise." In other words, this is what Management is telling us "You are too old to live in a family complex!"
What is so funny, Management can send a Notice about noise to an apartment and if the occupants don't care about a Notice going into their Personal File, the noise continues. If the police get involved, just how much can they do? They will only talk to them and there are a lot of folks today that won't even do what the police say. There has to be an excellent reason for someone to be evicted out of an apartment and "noise" most of the time isn't a good enough reason. Another thing, apartment management today will not tell you very much (if anything at all) about who lives in their complex. If too much is said, the Law calls that "discrimination" today. Unfortunately, if I want to know the type of people that live in a complex (so I can make my own decision on if I want to rent there) is no longer an option for me. I think that is a bunch of BULL, but I don't make the laws.
One thing that is very good, the noise above us doesn't happen all day and stops at 9:30PM when the child goes to bed. Thank God!!
As far as living on the top floor of a 3-story building, most (if not all) folks in the 55 plus age group don't want to (or can't) walk up stairs.
Bottom Line, as I have read from a lot of these postings........people (adults with small children, teens, young adults and even older adults) just don't care how much noise they make in an apartment and how much it disturbs other people. You talk to these people about the noise, they apologize, but then a lot of times just keep up the noise. It's basically a "No win" situation!!
I've read couple of your post and decide to reply. I agree with you that people "should" respect other, however, when they decide not to, you have to realize that there is nothing that you or the management can do.

There are laws that regulate noise and apartments have rules that tenant agrees when they sign the lease, so unless they break those, there is nothing that you can do.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 PM

66 posts, read 417,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa12345 View Post
I've read couple of your post and decide to reply. I agree with you that people "should" respect other, however, when they decide not to, you have to realize that there is nothing that you or the management can do.

There are laws that regulate noise and apartments have rules that tenant agrees when they sign the lease, so unless they break those, there is
nothing that you can do.

We had a classic case of the "neighbor from hell" last year. This character moved into the apartment next to us and after about two weeks, a police officer was at his door. Apparently, in his delusions, he thought the older fellow below him was abusing his grandson in some manner! The police duly noted, no evidence.

Nevertheless, our problem neighbor continued this rant, until the poor old buy below him simply had to move to escape this harrassment! Then, this "neighbor from hell" started concentrating on us. Cranking up his stereo so loud, you could hear it two city blocks away! And strange, loud bangs on our adjoining wall, so sudden and loud it made you jump.

His BIG mistake was then insulting some other older gentleman, below us, who was on an oxygen breather machine day and night. At that point, this older guy's daughter contacted the apartment management company and consulted with police.

Long story short, after no less than five or six visits with the local police having to come by and make out "complaint reports" from all parties, the evidence against this deranged neighbor was quite apparent. It turned out he was on some HUD program, and had been evicted from three other places in the last two years!

Our management company served him with Nevada's infamous "30 day No Cause" notice. It finally took an appearance by me with the local judge in order to finalize this action, then another month transpired before we finally got rid of this jerk! Even with all this, it took around ten months for all this to transpire. The only other choice would be for us to move, which seemed unfair, since we were good tenants.

Bottom line; involve your local law enforcement soon as your problems get intolerable. Police reports document problems sufficiently that most management companies will apparently then take action to resolve the issue, fearing a lawsuit. This information we gathered from a law student working for an online Legal Help site.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
we have a guy above us that throws partys every weekend and the people wake me up early in the morning being loud and girls laughing and they break beer bottles in the parking lot, I have called management and told them and still no one has came to sweep up the broken beer bottles ,I told them this is the 3rd time I've found broken bottles, the other day my car had glass all around the back of it, it *****d me off

Old 07-11-2008, 12:24 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,521 times
We live in a society of "Me First!" Many (if not most at this point) people have no respect for others. In fact, I would go so far as to say that they exercise their right to do what they want to do that they go out of their way to disrespect just because they can.

I was in Anchorage a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy who was fueling his car. He had his door open with the stereo shaking the building and the cars around it. He finished, got in the car, and turned the stereo off! He was only doing it to annoy everyone else.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 AM
b75

THAT would **** me off. Generally I adjust to the noise levels around me so I'd learn to deal with the party noise (par for the course when living in an apartment) but the beer bottle glass is inexcusable...I'd probably call the cops on the parties then - first I'd tell him that you got a flat tire from the beer bottle glass & ask him to not throw them in the lot. If he doesn't listen cops time it is. I 'd call the landlord to see about having him evicted too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
we have a guy above us that throws partys every weekend and the people wake me up early in the morning being loud and girls laughing and they break beer bottles in the parking lot, I have called management and told them and still no one has came to sweep up the broken beer bottles ,I told them this is the 3rd time I've found broken bottles, the other day my car had glass all around the back of it, it *****d me off

Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
What is so REALLY, REALLY weird is.......a lot of people aren't afraid of the cops showing up at their door or of a report being done on them! Shoot, I've even seen young adults driving down a street smoking pot, passing the joint back and forth, not caring whatsoever who sees them! Now, is that STUPID or is that just the way this generation of young adults think....."Hey, we are having fun, you don't like it, get away from us or lets pull over and we will share a "dobbie" with you!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting