Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 04:39 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,999,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I also heard my upstairs neighbors having sex at 3:00 a.m. It was so loud that it actually woke me up.
I've had that too.

I've pounded on the wall at one place I lived at and told them to make it a quickie, or to come already and go to sleep.
If all else, like I've said before put up a note on their door that says she's faking it

It's rude when you're so loud that you wake the neighbors.
I would be so embarrassed and apologize profusely if my neighbors ever heard me, I guess some people have no shame

Old 08-04-2008, 05:38 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,169,063 times
LOL Arod..

Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,593,299 times
I wouldn't always be so quick to blame the other renters. A lot of the time, apartments are built so cheaply that you can hear very easily from other apartments. I thought I was going to get in a fight with a neighbor in the first apartment I lived in. He would come home from work and apparently he thought is should be deathly quiet. I would have my music on and he would beat on my wall. I wouldn't have it on loud at all, but typically just to avoid issues, I'd turn it down even more. One day he just wouldn't stop pounding on my wall. I had a cheap 100 buck stereo with the volume below 1/4 of max, and the bass completely taken out. I WAS IN THE FREAKING APARTMENT WITH THE STEREO AND COULD BARELY HEAR IT MYSELF!!!! I also never had it on past 9PM. So he finally pounded on the wall one time too many and I just walked out to his door and beat on it as hard as I possibly could. It took him a minute to get to the door because I think he realized he'd ticked me off really good. When he opened it, I lit into him and explained I've been ridiculously quiet and my music is so low I can barely even make it out myself. I told him if he didn't like cheap apartment having bad sound insulation he either needed to move out or simply get used to some noise. I also warned him that the next time he pounded on my wall that hard that I would pound him twice as hard. He apologized, then I apologized for flying off the handle. A few days later he offered me a beer when he came home! Good times!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 PM

11,558 posts, read 11,995,498 times
I agree with so many here! Sometimes it's thin walls/floors/ceilings and sometimes it's just rude neighbors. Whatever the cause, it is still very disruptive and irritating. It's hard to relax waiting for the "other shoe to drop".

I've lived in many different apartments; and finally found a place that is layed out in such a way that you never have a unit above you or below you; and if you have one of the end units, there is only one common wall. Fortunately they used good soundproofing between the apartments so any noise at all is extremely minimal.

However, I can appreciate those who are still having to put up with the pounding of bass, hearing neighbors coming and going, elephants walking overhead, loud parties at all hours, etc. It is no fun at all. And even worse when management ignores the problem. And even when you move, there is no guarantee it will be much better. Took me a long time to luck out.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,854,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I wouldn't always be so quick to blame the other renters. A lot of the time, apartments are built so cheaply that you can hear very easily from other apartments. I thought I was going to get in a fight with a neighbor in the first apartment I lived in. He would come home from work and apparently he thought is should be deathly quiet. I would have my music on and he would beat on my wall. I wouldn't have it on loud at all, but typically just to avoid issues, I'd turn it down even more. One day he just wouldn't stop pounding on my wall. I had a cheap 100 buck stereo with the volume below 1/4 of max, and the bass completely taken out. I WAS IN THE FREAKING APARTMENT WITH THE STEREO AND COULD BARELY HEAR IT MYSELF!!!! I also never had it on past 9PM. So he finally pounded on the wall one time too many and I just walked out to his door and beat on it as hard as I possibly could. It took him a minute to get to the door because I think he realized he'd ticked me off really good. When he opened it, I lit into him and explained I've been ridiculously quiet and my music is so low I can barely even make it out myself. I told him if he didn't like cheap apartment having bad sound insulation he either needed to move out or simply get used to some noise. I also warned him that the next time he pounded on my wall that hard that I would pound him twice as hard. He apologized, then I apologized for flying off the handle. A few days later he offered me a beer when he came home! Good times!
The insulation is part of the problem in my apartment and part of it is just rude neighbors. The insulation in my apartment is so bad that you can actually hear what people are doing in the bathroom. One of my neighbors told me once that they could smell what I was cooking and no it wasn't spicy.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 AM

8,886 posts, read 20,262,668 times
Well, last night (and this isn't the first time), we could hear our neighbor's 2 yr old jumping up and down on the floor (our ceiling). And, when the mother walks, it really sounds like an elephant walking across our ceiling at times. The walls here are pretty solid; don't even hear a "peep" out of our neighbors behind us and they have a small baby. But the ceilings/floors here must be really thin. As stated before, the mother knows we live below her, but she just don't care. When living in an apartment and having kids, just try to be respectful of other neighbors when it comes to kids and noise. An apartment is NOT a Playpen or Park Playground.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,169,063 times
LOL Tx-sounds like something I would do myself..

Old 08-06-2008, 12:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,174,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Good for you. I'm glad you've never practiced a piece for months on a keyboard, then tried to rehearse on a Steinway D only to find that you may as well have not practiced at all. I'm glad you've never had a teacher who forbid you to practice on a keyboard under penalty of death. And I'm glad you've always somehow been able to practice without bothering anyone else. And I'm glad you're happy to gloat about it, too.
Im not gloating. Im telling you like it is.

And if you cant make a transition from a keyboard to a piano....I really doubt you have been playing 20 years or even tried it.Or you just never practice at all.

Hope your neighbors dont take up the death penalty for being a crappy neighbor.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:51 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,174,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
You would of been on the street for threatening me with this crap.

We actually had this happen in my old building.
He got evicted the next day.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:57 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,061,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Im not gloating. Im telling you like it is.

And if you cant make a transition from a keyboard to a piano....I really doubt you have been playing 20 years or even tried it.Or you just never practice at all.

Hope your neighbors dont take up the death penalty for being a crappy neighbor.
Oh so you doubt me huh? Do a search for 'sonarrat' on Youtube. Find another target please.. it seems like you would be hard to live around under the best of circumstances, I'm glad not everyone is as combative as you are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting