Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,164,151 times

Advertisements

I have the same attitude you do except I like quiet.

Isnt it fun?

If people like me have to deal with loud annoying people all the time I guess we should just sit here and take it right?

WRONG

There is a reason most rentals have a clause about musical intr. Its not something thats rare to be annoyed with.

Maybe your artsy building will take ina metal band. Im sure you will love hearing them practice.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,050,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I have the same attitude you do except I like quiet.

Isnt it fun?

If people like me have to deal with loud annoying people all the time I guess we should just sit here and take it right?

WRONG

There is a reason most rentals have a clause about musical intr. Its not something thats rare to be annoyed with.
I've never seen a clause about that in a lease and certainly not in mine. Some buildings pianos aren't allowed above the ground floor which I think is a good rule of thumb.. but the bottom line is that no one has complained. I asked my next door neighbors and they said it is no problem, asked the manager and she said no problem as long as it's facing my bedroom and not my neighbor's living room.. only rule is that you keep it to normal levels during the day and keep it to the bare minimum after 10 pm, and I'm always done by 8. Most of the residents say they enjoy it and encourage me to leave my window open so they can hear it..

Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,469,745 times
Sonarrat, I was thinking how nice it would be if you were my neighbor! I would enjoy hearing your beautiful music very much, as long as you cut it out after dinner.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:52 PM

941 posts, read 2,296,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Oh so you doubt me huh? Do a search for 'sonarrat' on Youtube. Find another target please.. it seems like you would be hard to live around under the best of circumstances, I'm glad not everyone is as combative as you are!

I did a search, pretty good sonarrat I took a few lessons myself it was very hard to learn. I still hate noisy neighbors though!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 03:25 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,595,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, last night (and this isn't the first time), we could hear our neighbor's 2 yr old jumping up and down on the floor (our ceiling). And, when the mother walks, it really sounds like an elephant walking across our ceiling at times. The walls here are pretty solid; don't even hear a "peep" out of our neighbors behind us and they have a small baby. But the ceilings/floors here must be really thin. As stated before, the mother knows we live below her, but she just don't care. When living in an apartment and having kids, just try to be respectful of other neighbors when it comes to kids and noise. An apartment is NOT a Playpen or Park Playground.
well lucky for you Oct is just around the corner

Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,978,563 times
I have been following this thread for months. Some of these posts are the most hilarious I have read thus far on C-D.

I do not believe that people should have to unreasonably change their habits for noise-sensitive neighbors. If you live in a complex with children and animals, expect them to make noise. That's what they do. Unless there is a stipulation in the lease that prevents nosie from being made, what can you do? If you don't like the noise of apartments, move in to a single family house.

Some of the complaints I have heard on here are unbelieveable. People making too much noise just walking across their own floor, doors closing, people talking. These are all normal aspects of human life. Sure, these sounds can sound amplified to people living underneath, but it's part of life living in an apartment. Other tenants do not have a responsibility to make your life as comfortable as possible.

LoveBoating: I understand that you have a medical condition that you say keeps you from living anywhere but the ground floor. However, if you moved to a building with an elevator couldn't you live on any floor?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I have been following this thread for months. Some of these posts are the most hilarious I have read thus far on C-D.

I do not believe that people should have to unreasonably change their habits for noise-sensitive neighbors. If you live in a complex with children and animals, expect them to make noise. That's what they do. Unless there is a stipulation in the lease that prevents nosie from being made, what can you do? If you don't like the noise of apartments, move in to a single family house.

Some of the complaints I have heard on here are unbelieveable. People making too much noise just walking across their own floor, doors closing, people talking. These are all normal aspects of human life. Sure, these sounds can sound amplified to people living underneath, but it's part of life living in an apartment. Other tenants do not have a responsibility to make your life as comfortable as possible.

LoveBoating: I understand that you have a medical condition that you say keeps you from living anywhere but the ground floor. However, if you moved to a building with an elevator couldn't you live on any floor?
I agree they don't have a responsibility to others, but when your raised with proper morals and respect it comes naturally. People these days just don't care it's a selfish world we live in period!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
I agree they don't have a responsibility to others, but when your raised with proper morals and respect it comes naturally. People these days just don't care it's a selfish world we live in period!
I really don't think that someone who tends to "walk heavily" or slam a door every now and then has improper morals and no respect for others. If someone is obese it's hard to just tip-toe around the apartment. If someone shuts a door with more force than they intended to it should put a blemish on their overall character.

If you live in a building with other people, there will be unpleasantries. It's a fact of living in a multi-unit structure. Everyone does not have to bend over backwards to accommodate everyone else. If the OP or anyone else is THAT bothered by other people's simple daily actions, they probably should relocate to a single-family home with neighbors FAR away.

I don't know why so many people want to say that others have no respect "these days," or something to that effect. People have always made noise. People have always gotten into verbal and physical arguments in their apartmentshad screaming babies and toddlers, had sex, held parties, etc. I think it is just a cop out to think that people's general character and respect for others has changed markedly in a relatively short period of time. I think there are certain situtations in which we notice, and become more sensitive to, noise and other people's actions.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I really don't think that someone who tends to "walk heavily" or slam a door every now and then has improper morals and no respect for others. If someone is obese it's hard to just tip-toe around the apartment. If someone shuts a door with more force than they intended to it should put a blemish on their overall character.

If you live in a building with other people, there will be unpleasantries. It's a fact of living in a multi-unit structure. Everyone does not have to bend over backwards to accommodate everyone else. If the OP or anyone else is THAT bothered by other people's simple daily actions, they probably should relocate to a single-family home with neighbors FAR away.

I don't know why so many people want to say that others have no respect "these days," or something to that effect. People have always made noise. People have always gotten into verbal and physical arguments in their apartmentshad screaming babies and toddlers, had sex, held parties, etc. I think it is just a cop out to think that people's general character and respect for others has changed markedly in a relatively short period of time. I think there are certain situtations in which we notice, and become more sensitive to, noise and other people's actions.
No I'm sorry I have to disagree, people could show more respect for others I have personally witnessed parents letting their children run wild and unsupervised destroying other tenants property and they sit and watch and do nothing. Also people have control over such things like loud music and slamming doors, I go out of my way to respect other people because I want the same in return. My wife and I will except no less than respect from our boys, with us or any other adult!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
No I'm sorry I have to disagree, people could show more respect for others I have personally witnessed parents letting their children run wild and unsupervised destroying other tenants property and they sit and watch and do nothing. Also people have control over such things like loud music and slamming doors, I go out of my way to respect other people because I want the same in return. My wife and I will except no less than respect from our boys, with us or any other adult!
Maybe those tenants should try to lock their doors? I don't know what kind of complexes people live in where children have this access to other people's personal property to destroy. I am not sure I believe that. If it has happened, it is the exception, not the rule. If I lived in an apartment my belongings would be locked in my apartment. Even if you have witnessed parents who have children destroying other people's property it seems that you are in the wrong for not saying something or reporting the activity.

Slamming doors is something that people do all the time. Again, some people absent-mindedly will apply more force to a door than necessary, some people get angry and slam doors. I don't think this is done out of disrespect for anyone and I don't think it is a personal vendetta against you or anyone else.

I am sure you have slammed a door accidentally. I am sure you have done other stuff to upset people accidentally.

If you don't like ALL that apartment life has to offer, leave or be miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.