Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,471,921 times

Advertisements

Some people are just loud! I lived with a clomper. He'd pound up the stairs at all hours. He wasn't even trying to be rude; he really had no idea he was doing it.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:16 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,491,119 times
I've been on both sides of the noise issue, unfortunately - most of it in this apartment!

When my kids were younger and more boisterous, the neighbor downstairs had problems with them. Well, that's because he was a writer, and stayed home all day! This apartment building has no insulation to speak of, so you can just imagine...

Of course, this lack of insulation goes both ways. I can hear my neighbors arguing with each other as loud as if they were standing in my living room! Maybe I should be grateful that they argue in Spanish. Oh, and one more thing - They're the managers! Who do I complain to?! Also, the grandmother babysits, and the baby screams most of the day. It's constant.

When your lease is up, LoveBoating, move. Until then, just try to deal with it. I'm sorry that your neighbors aren't more considerate, and that the kids aren't taken outside more often.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,899,894 times
Glad I came across this thread. I put money down on an apt and am already having second thoughts. I think I will take the loss and get a single family home. It really is not much more, just a few less amenities. Get some, lose some. Parking would be a hassle too. It is an upper and that would be good for our noise level but not for the peeps below us. I have a very LOUD husband. When he whispers the neighbors could hear him!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,251,547 times
First of all, from the posts already done, I can see that the couples with kids (young or teens) say "kids will be kids" (whatever noise kids make in an apartment is normal), whereas the couples with no kids do complain about the noise kids make.
We still think it's just common courtesy that when living in an apartment to be careful of the noise that is made. People don't have to "stomp" their feet going up stairs late at night, = courtesy/respect! People can try to pick good daytime hours to do laundry or vaccuming= courtesy/respect! Knowing that people live below them, parents can restrict the amount of noise their kids make (no jumping from furniture onto the floor, limit wrestling or running around the apartment) = courtesy/respect!
Folks, all-in-all it's just courtesy and respect that other people in apartments are asking for. In the summer, kids can "release" that energy in a Park if need be. Apartment complexes use to have play areas for kids, but equipment got broke, areas became to messy and Complex Managers/Owners didn't want any injury liability sueings.
Actually, a few years ago (in Colorado) we thought buying a house would solve the noise problem we were having at an apartment complex we lived in there......NOPE! The house next to us was sold to a couple that had two dogs that loved to bark in the "wee hours" of the night. We talked to the couple and the husband apologized and told us that he would have his wife put the dogs in the garage at night when he was at work. That lasted a few weeks until the wife didn't want to do it anymore. Finally, both dogs got out (chewing thru a gate) and one of them never came back. A month later, we moved out of the house/State. This couple knew that there barking dogs were annoying us/waking us up, but it took the dogs getting loose to solve the barking problem.
Our lease will be up in Oct and we will be gone. Next home will either be a house or 55+ Community in Florida!!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM

Unless this guy was deaf, he had to hear how loud he was going up the stairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Some people are just loud! I lived with a clomper. He'd pound up the stairs at all hours. He wasn't even trying to be rude; he really had no idea he was doing it.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 PM

294 posts, read 1,083,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
First of all, from the posts already done, I can see that the couples with kids (young or teens) say "kids will be kids" (whatever noise kids make in an apartment is normal), whereas the couples with no kids do complain about the noise kids make.
We still think it's just common courtesy that when living in an apartment to be careful of the noise that is made. People don't have to "stomp" their feet going up stairs late at night, = courtesy/respect! People can try to pick good daytime hours to do laundry or vaccuming= courtesy/respect! Knowing that people live below them, parents can restrict the amount of noise their kids make (no jumping from furniture onto the floor, limit wrestling or running around the apartment) = courtesy/respect!
Folks, all-in-all it's just courtesy and respect that other people in apartments are asking for. In the summer, kids can "release" that energy in a Park if need be. Apartment complexes use to have play areas for kids, but equipment got broke, areas became to messy and Complex Managers/Owners didn't want any injury liability sueings.
Actually, a few years ago (in Colorado) we thought buying a house would solve the noise problem we were having at an apartment complex we lived in there......NOPE! The house next to us was sold to a couple that had two dogs that loved to bark in the "wee hours" of the night. We talked to the couple and the husband apologized and told us that he would have his wife put the dogs in the garage at night when he was at work. That lasted a few weeks until the wife didn't want to do it anymore. Finally, both dogs got out (chewing thru a gate) and one of them never came back. A month later, we moved out of the house/State. This couple knew that there barking dogs were annoying us/waking us up, but it took the dogs getting loose to solve the barking problem.
Our lease will be up in Oct and we will be gone. Next home will either be a house or 55+ Community in Florida!!
Who are you to dictate to parents how they should displine there children and how there children should live in their own home?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 PM

336 posts, read 842,054 times
lOVEBOATING,
When I was a child,my grandmother lived in a 3 family house, on the 3rd floor,
I knew well that I had to walk softly while visiting there.That it was totally unacceptable to disturb the people below.It was that way at home,too.No outside early,making noise.Caring about one's neighbors was of great value.
Today,the world has changed.People are under pressure to make ends meet,families are broken, and disturbing the neighbors is probably just not an important issue to the offenders..
I have lived in many apartments, but only a very few were quiet
Some senior communities allow pets,
so again you could have a noise issue-and many seniors have grandchildren for overnight(s).
If you could find something secluded
you would have a better chance of quietness.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:05 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,106,051 times
Quote:
We talked to Management and they said "These are family apartments and you will have to put up with some noise".
Any suggestions.
Small children are noisey. They always have been. If you share walls, floors, or ceilings with other people then you will hear them and they will hear you. You will just have to get used to it. As a night worker, I have to use ear plugs to filter out normal day time sounds in order to sleep. I can't ask the world to stop so that I can sleep, so it is I who must adapt.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:06 AM

NOT DICTATING!! Doesn't anyone today believe in COURTESY AND RESPECT??? Yes, children can/will be noisey, but "thumping, jumping and running" can get out-of-hand. Plus, we pay rent also!! Don't we have any rights to "some quietness"??? Seems as if couples with kids have ALL the rights to as much noise as they want to make and simply say "if you don't like it, move". Couples can stop their kids from making to much noise, especially if they live above someone that they know is older (50's+). Now, DO they want to control their kids from making to much noise, sure doesn't sound like it to me. As stated before, apartments are not houses!! Kids can do whatever they want to in a house, but in apartments there should be some type of courtesy and respect for other renters.
I can see that some of you totally understand our viewpoint, while others seem to totally dislike our viewpoint. But, it all boils down to RESPECTING your neighbors wiether you are in an apartment or house!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
Who are you to dictate to parents how they should displine there children and how there children should live in their own home?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,491,119 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, when you live in a bottom unit, you have to expect to deal with noise from above you, at least during the day. People with kids need to live, too. It's not realistic to expect kids to never run, never wrestle, etc. It does sound like you need to be in a 55+ community (a place I would never live in, on the off chance that I might someday have grandchildren!).

I had another problem with a lady who lived on the other side of the wall from my son's bedroom. She complained about the noise from him staying up late playing video games. We agreed that he would turn it down after 10:00. I was very nice about it, and even offered to buy her a fan to drown out some of the noise, etc. I could have been obnoxious, but I prefer to be on good terms with my neighbors if at all possible. It's amazing what happens when you treat people with respect and dignity, and show that it's not all about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.