Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 AM

13,369 posts, read 28,608,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We have no drinking problems in our complex, ONLY problem is with parents/small children making so, so much noise.......like the ones who live above us. Stomping, jumping up and down, running, ect., etc.......apartments are NOT playgrounds!!

Cheer up, october is just around the corner, isn't that when your lease is up?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 PM

8,886 posts, read 20,262,668 times
Yes, Lease is up at the end of October. What I'd really like to do, but won't for certain reasons, is encounter/talk to the couple that live above us and ask them why they allow their 2 year old to make so much noise and WHY they don't respect us who lives below them......they KNOW we hear all three of them (mom, dad and 2 yr old) above us.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,986,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yes, Lease is up at the end of October. What I'd really like to do, but won't for certain reasons, is encounter/talk to the couple that live above us and ask them why they allow their 2 year old to make so much noise and WHY they don't respect us who lives below them......they KNOW we hear all three of them (mom, dad and 2 yr old) above us.
I'm guessing they feel their child makes a normal amount of noise for a two year old, which is a LOT, and that it is inevitable that you will hear them.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:10 PM

But, when is it TOO MUCH noise. The jumping up and down, running, standing/sitting and stomping her feet up and down just goes on too much! We know that a 2 yr old will make noise, but when this couple knows that we live right below them (and have talked to Management about the noise) anyone would think that they will curtail some of the playing that this 2yr old does. Boy, when I was 2 years old, I wish I had a mom/dad like hers......lets her do whatever she wants in that apartment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I'm guessing they feel their child makes a normal amount of noise for a two year old, which is a LOT, and that it is inevitable that you will hear them.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:40 PM

589 posts, read 1,630,123 times
Question Lease states X to X as Quiet times - What do you do when...

UGH.. it's so frustrating.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,456,586 times
The amount of noise a two year old can make varies. It also depends on how the sound carries as to how unreasonably loud the child is being. You live in an apartment. Children, especially toddlers who do not have the cognitive capability to remember to be quiet, make noise. If you need quiet, you need to move out to the boonies where there are less people, traffic and overall residual noise. This is not akin to neighbors throwing loud parties - that is unreasonable. This is akin to normal everyday living noise that you are unable to adjust to. This is a part of apartment life that either one has to adjust to or find another form of residence. I get it. I am a single professional who is quiet and has to finish major work projects at home as well. I've learned to tune out people's living noises b/c my reaction is the only thing I reasonably have control over. Expecting people to have a 2 year old be quieter is unreasonable. Expecting people not to have loud parties or blast their music at top volume in the middle of the night IS reasonable.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,174,173 times
LoveBoating - did you find your new place yet?

I already had this place picked out three months before my last lease was up.
I hated my obnoxious neighbors that much. LOL

Hope the next place has cement floors!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:47 AM

Well the stomping, running and jumping continues! I think this couple above us has really turned their apartment into a Playground for their 2 year old and definitely doesn't care at all how much noise they make!
Our neighbor across from us told me "kids will make noise"......well "dah" we know that, but apartment homes are not PLAYGROUNDS for kids to romp and stomp in...........houses are for that! This problem isn't this childs fault, however it IS the parents fault letting the child make so much noise KNOWING that we live right below them.
After we move out, the next tenants might not be so nice and go a lot further (police, corporate management) with the family. And we hope that does happen!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:36 AM

22,192 posts, read 29,169,063 times
LB-I don't understand why you didn't pursue those routes in the first place, police, corporate mgmnt??? You probably would have saved yourself a lot of headaches.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 AM

Because, even though we have talked about this problem on CD (like a lot of folks on CD talk about their problems), we decided to just "put up with it" until our Lease was up. We have talked to the Manager of this Complex and we know what he says......"the sign in front of the Complex reads, Family Apartment Homes, so there will be noise". He doesn't want to understand our viewpoint on the problem at all. Last week, he asked me if we were going to sign another 1 yr. Lease. I said "no" to him that we may be moving out of the State, but will be definitely looking for a quieter Complex. He was not the least phased by what I said about "looking for a quieter Complex.
In other words, Management here loves getting the monthly rent money, but doesn't want to take on problems that residents have with other residents. Why have Apartment Managers if they don't want to do their FULL job???

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
LB-I don't understand why you didn't pursue those routes in the first place, police, corporate mgmnt??? You probably would have saved yourself a lot of headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting