Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,018,755 times

Advertisements

I don't appreciate the comments about renters being deadbeats. Not every person who rents 'skips out on paying.' Nor are we all poor slobs who 'can't get it together.'

We've rented most of our married life due to lack of employment or cost of living. Owning a home requires a big amount of money to put down. Not everyone has a rich daddy or great job to help with that.

We rent and yes, it's hard dealing with other peoples' noise but that's life.

When we owned a house we had rude neighbors who only spoke to us once (to demand we STOP harassing their snarling dog). We also had little hoods smash our windows. (and hang around to do more damage).

I'd love people to go to high class apartment buildings in NY and tell those people to 'get it together.' They could buy and sell most of us here, yet THEY choose to rent...

Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM

132 posts, read 527,502 times
When it comes to soundproofing, would a landlord ever share the cost with the tenant? For example... if I'm considering adding an extra drywall layer with soundproofing material to one of my apartment walls... is it likely that my landlord would allow me to do that, and if so, would they potentially be willing to chip in (even if just a small amount) to the cost? Since it would raise the value of their apartment. Or should I just wait until I can buy a condo? I'm clueless about this stuff.

If you have the money, you can add an extra layer of drywall to your walls for soundproofing. Using Green Glue with the drywall should really reduce the noise. If you have a lot of money, combine that with Quietrock, which is a very expensive but very effective soundproof brand of drywall. Green Glue can also be used on floors. Maybe combine the glue with mass loaded vinyl. A relatively cheap way to reduce noise transmission through your floor.

For outdoor noise issues, consult a company that can install soundproofed windows. They can install a second window on the inside, without removing the original, which can drastically reduce street noise transmission.

I don't know anything about soundproofing, but am hoping to learn. My current apartment is very quiet, but I'll be moving, and most likely my new apartment will be noisier... and I hate noise!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:19 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,122,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Reading some of these posts on the noise problem in apt buildings is not the tenents problem. The problem lies with the city bidg code that allows construction of apt units that do not have a double wall or sound proofing between units. When was the last time you stayed in a MOTEL and heard the people next door. Nothing but quiet and your own TV in the room. Generally the only sound would be a toilet flush or shower noise coming from the plumbing. In these CONDOS, they have only a common wall like you have in a house...thus the noise. I understand the construction aspect as I studied Architecture in college and drew house plans. Blame it on CITY HALL Bldg Dept. Steve
I agree, the problem is the walls....without any white noise, I can faintly hear my neighbors conversations at normal volumes, clearly hear them sneeze, hear them close a cupboard (not slam it), etc. If they have a party, it sounds like they are right in my living room having it. I don't blame them for living their life, I blame lack of sound insulation.

I don't complain because I vacuum at 11 pm, shower at 1 am and make no apologies. I am a night person, and I often work long hours and am only home at night, and I will not adjust my entire schedule in my own home because the walls happen to be thin. I don't expect that of other people also. I consider my attitude to be considerate...considerate of people being people and not overly demanding.

I can't believe the person who complained about laundry going at 2am. You really want to restrict when someone can do their laundry? Are you going to tell them when they can eat and pee also? What else, an enforced curfew and bed time? Please....

Old 11-14-2008, 04:17 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,068,004 times
"is it likely that my landlord would allow me to do that, and if so, would they potentially be willing to chip in (even if just a small amount) to the cost?

Not likely.Switches, outlets and all mouldings and fixtures would then need to be moved out.
Taping and all new paint.There would be no 'small amount' involved.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I don't complain because I vacuum at 11 pm, shower at 1 am and make no apologies. I am a night person, and I often work long hours and am only home at night, and I will not adjust my entire schedule in my own home because the walls happen to be thin. I don't expect that of other people also. I consider my attitude to be considerate...considerate of people being people and not overly demanding.
Most people consider night hours to be quiet hours. So does the law.

Quote:
I can't believe the person who complained about laundry going at 2am. You really want to restrict when someone can do their laundry? Are you going to tell them when they can eat and pee also? What else, an enforced curfew and bed time? Please....
Washers and dryers can be loud. They can even shake the building. I don't know about others, but in my complex, the laundry is off limits after 10pm or so. You can't just be as noisy as you like whenever you want. It's unreasonable, rude, and often illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"is it likely that my landlord would allow me to do that, and if so, would they potentially be willing to chip in (even if just a small amount) to the cost?

Not likely.Switches, outlets and all mouldings and fixtures would then need to be moved out.
Taping and all new paint.There would be no 'small amount' involved.
For one shared wall of a small apartment, the cost of materials couldn't be all that much. Materials for my current bedroom wall would probably cost a few hundred at most, to make a big STC increase (drywall plus soundproof glue would cost under $100). Can't outlets and the like simply be unscrewed and pulled out, or is it far more complex than that? Paint shouldn't really be an issue, because with rent stabilized apartments in NYC, the landlord is required to paint at least once every few years anyway.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,122,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
Most people consider night hours to be quiet hours. So does the law.

Washers and dryers can be loud. They can even shake the building. I don't know about others, but in my complex, the laundry is off limits after 10pm or so. You can't just be as noisy as you like whenever you want. It's unreasonable, rude, and often illegal.
"Quiet" hours means not taking a shower or running a vacuum? We're not talking a party here with blasting music and shouting. I disagree with what you seem to think is reasonable. I think I am perfectly reasonable and many of the people complaining in this thread have a stick up their butt. You also cannot just impose your ridiculous standards on other people just because you want silence all the time and expect your neighbors to walk on egg shells and have the same exact sleep schedule as you...come on.

The law can be wrong also. Just cuz something is "law" doesn't mean it is fair or correct. The law allows loud live music until midnight on weekends where I live, which is far more disturbing than someone taking a shower. The law is often skewed.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
"Quiet" hours means not taking a shower or running a vacuum? We're not talking a party here with blasting music and shouting.
Vacuums are louder than shouting, or music, unless the music is *extremely* loud. Is it really that hard to simply wait until most people are awake to vacuum your apartment?

You're using a straw man argument. If people say they have a problem with loud noise, you say they have a problem with simply walking on the apt floor or taking a shower. You somehow turned vacuuming and laundry into bathing and walking. Deliberate misinterpretation to make yourself sound like you're doing the right thing.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,706,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
The only problem I have is a lack of sleep from his stupid stereo being played after midnight. I actually wake up at 5:00 a.m., but I am exhausted from his stereo and partying all night long. I go to work exhausted from his partying all night long. I think if you had to teach young children on 3 and 4 hours of sleep, you would be cranky and sensitive to everything too. I could lose my job from a lack of sleep. I love my job and don't want to lose it.
If he stays awake at night and sleeps in the day then you should get a loud stereo and balst it during the day so he can't sleep -- for paychack. And if he complains say he does it to you then strike a deal that he should keep his stereo quiet at night.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:45 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,426,101 times
Wow, this thread brings me back to my apartment renting days and I hated it. I guess in some ways I am like the OP, although I recognized it was my own fault for living in an apartment given how I am about noise (as I now sit here listening to dogs bark in my neighbor's yard). Good thing I like dogs, I guess.

I would sooner move to another state to afford a detached single family dwelling (hey, I did do that!) than to have to live in an apartment.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,855,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
Vacuums are louder than shouting, or music, unless the music is *extremely* loud. Is it really that hard to simply wait until most people are awake to vacuum your apartment?

You're using a straw man argument. If people say they have a problem with loud noise, you say they have a problem with simply walking on the apt floor or taking a shower. You somehow turned vacuuming and laundry into bathing and walking. Deliberate misinterpretation to make yourself sound like you're doing the right thing.
Good post. I think it is important to respect your neighbors when you live in apartments. Some people do have jobs that require us to be awake at 5:00 a.m. and don't want to be woke up at midnight because my neighbor decides it would be a good time to vacuum. I don't think it would be hard to wait until people are awake to vacuum. It takes like 5 to 10 minutes.

I can't comment on the laundry thing, since I have never lived in an apartment that has a washer and dryer.

However, it is expected that there will be some noise in apartments that you have to live with. Especially noise that neighbors can't control, like noise from a medical problem. Like for example, I have asthma and sometimes I have a loud cough before an attack starts. My attacks often happen during quiet hours at my apartment. I can't control that so my neighbor is going to have live with it or move. I'm on Advair, but it doesn't always keep me from having attacks. I'm sure there are people out there that would complain about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting