Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 05:50 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,910,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWCar View Post
Living in an apartment does not make the Laws different. If a small child was making your apartment shake then theres a problem with the Building itself and not the child. A small child can only make so much noise, so dont give me that reason. How about consideration for the fact that that child is still growing and developing. You as an Adult, and a Tenant at one point, was required, BY LAW, to put up with it!!!If you lived under me and kept complaining about my my kids making normal apartment noise that are not excessive, Sorry to say but I would have called the police on you. I respect my neighbors but I will not make my kids miserable because it bothers my neighbors that they running and playing in their home. My kids come FIRST!! I am making sure they do not grow up to be Freaks by constantly suppressing them, you can forget that. These Laws are in place because of that. I dont care about your "Peace and Quiet" if its going to make my kids unhappy and miserable, thats all there is to it. When we are all dead and gone it will be the children that are left, it is our responsibility, as adults, that they develop mentally, phsically and emotionally. This world is going to be theirs when we are all gone. Dont be the cause of their Unhappiness. Stop crying about "The Noise" children make. As long as its not excessive and not non-stop, be an Adult and deal with it.

LoveBoating, you were complaining because an 18 month old was kicking the wall, and who just barely learned to walk and is trying to practice. Come on now thats just being a Busy body and a trouble maker. Im glad you moved out and are no longer bothering and harassing that family, with your incessant complaining.
Well then I guess you won't care or complain when a neighbor of yours decides to blast music at your childs nap time. It is an apartment afterall and you all just need to deal. I am normally not a rude person but YOUR attitude would make me go out of my way to be loud. You CANNOT tell me that it is within your rights to be as loud as you want to h*ll with your neighbors. RE the bolded area, no, it isn't my concern or your neighbors that your child is developing and growing. You obviously aren't concerned about your neighbors so why should they be concerned about you?

I was a VERY small child when I would visit my grandparents in their apartment and I knew that I was NOT allowed to jump, run, yell or do anything that would disturb a neighbor. Are you suggesting your children cannot understand simple instructions? Are you suggesting that your children don't need to learn consideration? It sounds like you have a bigger problem than your neighbors.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM

36 posts, read 234,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
To be completely honest with you lady, I can see now that it's not your childrens noise that would bug people living around you......it is YOU scaring the "H" out of us older people!! Right now, by the way you are posting, you have got a real "hatred" going on against people and that can get you into trouble as well......legal trouble! Please do remember, other people living around you have LEGAL RIGHTS as well as you do!
And, by the way, YOU tell us to "accept the noise or move" and we all tell you to get a bottom apartment........how's that!!?? We had a toddler living in an apartment next to us and we never once heard anything!
Yes, I wish there were still "Adult Complexes"! Not everyone wants to live around small children. And, quit yelling the word "discrimination"! It's not discrimination, it's CONSIDERATION!!
Good luck and we hope when you get into your 60's plus you have small kids living above you "thumping" all over and shaking your ceiling, dishes and pictures!
Thats against the LAW also...who do you think you are to tell someone with kids to live on the bottom floor. It is the LAW that is telling you to deal with it. The LAW protects people like me from people like you. You yourself have no consideration for other people. If you dont want to live around kids go live in a Nursing home and leave families with children alone. And you better believe I will fight for my childrens rights with all the resources I have available and I will not allow myself and my family to be harassed by people like you, And it is discrimination when you are singleing out children. Trust me Im not going to be a miserable and hateful older person because I dont think I will forget how my kids were. And what kind of legal trouble are you trying to imply, I am merely stating the truth and the legalities of things. I know how stressful it is when people are harassing you about your children. It is a frustrating and distressing experience. I took the initiative against it and won.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating Please do remember, other people living around you have LEGAL RIGHTS as well as you do!
And how are your Legal Rights being violated by children playing above you? "The law does NOT make another tenant’s desire for peace and quiet paramount to your children's right to play in their apartment. To the contrary, the law expressly states that a desire for peace and quiet is NOT grounds for making rules against children.The law requires landlords and tenants to put up with such noises. This would include allowing kids to play around inside their apartment at reasonable hours even if another tenant complains." In Laymans Terms; your peace and quiet isnt as important as a Childs right to play in their house. Do you not understand this? These are Laws that are part of The Fair Housing Act. You are harassing those people with children which is also against the Law. And you better believe I cant stand people who cry about children making noise, especially if they are Toddlers, which is true in my case. I was harassed by my Landlords because of the incessant complaing of the person who lived under me. I was told that I should tell my kids to sit down and be quiet and teach my kids respect. My neighbors were advised to call the police if my kids were playing. And they did, but instead the people who called the police were given a fine by the police for Disturbing the peace and so were the Landlords and if the situation kept happening more fines will be added. I in turn took the Landlords to court and they were fined and was ordered to pay me restitution for Emotional distress. Do you even know anything about kids, I think not otherwise you wouldnt be crying on here. Do you seriously think you can tell a 3 and a 4 yr old to be quiet and respect their neighbors? You were a kid too and Im pretty sure you werent thinking about your neighbors when you were having fun playing. Dont expect consideration from children and no parent should overly suppress their children, it doesnt matter wether you are living in a house or Apartments. These LAWS are made to protect them. People with children should know their rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating
To be completely honest with you lady, I can see now that it's not your childrens noise that would bug people living around you......it is YOU scaring the "H" out of us older people!! Right now, by the way you are posting, you have got a real "hatred" going on against people and that can get you into trouble as well......legal trouble!
You dont know me, so dont claim to know how I am. I become a completely different person when it comes to my children. This is what we call "Maternal Instinct"and I act within my Legal Rights as a parent. If you dont understand I will put it simply, I do not act to where it will get me in trouble but I will utiltize all the resources that are available to me , IE Lawyers, Police, internet, and so on, to protect my children. By the way to those who are wondering, you dont need money to hire a lawyer, there are some Lawyers who will not charge you until you win the case. I am a Mother you dont want to mess with when it comes to my kids. Older people? What older people are you talking about? If your talking about yourself, I dont know why you would be scared unless you are breaking the Law.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:12 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,104,404 times
just like jail. 50 people in a cramped area, everyone of them believes he does not belong there.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,910,778 times
Quote:
Do you seriously think you can tell a 3 and a 4 yr old to be quiet and respect their neighbors?
Not Loveboating, but yes, you can tell a 3 or 4 year old to use their indoor voice, not run or jump inside, play indoor games etc and then take the kid to a park or something to get their ya ya's out. This isn't brain surgery. Either your children do not understand spoken words or you are raising baboons or you just don't give a da*m about anyone but yourself. The renter not wanting to hear your snowflakes playing all day also have rights since they pay rent as well. I have lived under children before that understood these VERY simple concepts and grew up to be normal people who are not freaks. I have also lived under people JUST LIKE YOU and it drove me to insanity. Oh and when they decided they were going to have a game of kickball upstairs at 8am and my husband yelled, THEY called the police on my husband. When the police got there, they had no idea why they were called. My landlord told the woman that if she keeps it up they would be evicted. It was a month to month lease to the landlord could do whatever she wanted.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Not Loveboating, but yes, you can tell a 3 or 4 year old to use their indoor voice, not run or jump inside, play indoor games etc and then take the kid to a park or something to get their ya ya's out. This isn't brain surgery. Either your children do not understand spoken words or you are raising baboons or you just don't give a da*m about anyone but yourself. The renter not wanting to hear your snowflakes playing all day also have rights since they pay rent as well. I have lived under children before that understood these VERY simple concepts and grew up to be normal people who are not freaks. I have also lived under people JUST LIKE YOU and it drove me to insanity. Oh and when they decided they were going to have a game of kickball upstairs at 8am and my husband yelled, THEY called the police on my husband. When the police got there, they had no idea why they were called. My landlord told the woman that if she keeps it up they would be evicted. It was a month to month lease to the landlord could do whatever she wanted.

Who do you think you are? And dont claim to know anything about how my kids are, you are just showing how ignorant you are. What do you think kids are, robots...you can tell any child till you are Blue in the face to be quiet and they will forget 5 minutes later, unless you are abusing them and they are too scared. Do you even have kids? If you dont then dont act like you know anything about kids until you live with them 24 hrs a day. For your information my children were not doing anything out of the ordinary and excessive, it was just the fact that the person living under me was a hateful and spiteful person who wanted complete silence, which is impossible when you have Toddlers, I dont care what anybody says. I dont think its anybodys' business how anyone raises their kids, are you an authority in Child Rearing? Not all children are the same, some kids are too sick to go to the park and can only stay indoors. The point of the matter is "It is againsts the Law for Landlords to Quiet a child" thats the reality of it. Most Landlords dont think that Tenants know the Laws and they try to get away with it. What your Landlord is doing is againsts the Fair housing Act Law, even if it is a month to month lease. You are ignorant to think that "they can do whatever they want"...sorry to say No they cant. Your Husband is the Baboon for yelling like a caveman and they should have arrested him for disturbing the peace.The LAW states; Federal and state fair housing laws expressly require apartment dwellers to put up with normal, reasonable noise from children. This noise would clearly include noise made by children while playing in an apartment, provided that their conduct isn’t overtly unreasonable (e.g. jumping off their beds at 1 a.m., or playing the stereo on high late at night) . The manager cannot evict you if your kids have been making normal noises while playing inside your apartment, such as laughing, giggling, or rolling on the floor. To do so is illegal. The law does NOT make another tenant’s desire for peace and quiet paramount to your children's right to play in their apartment. To the contrary, the law expressly states that a desire for peace and quiet is NOT grounds for making rules against children. Children make noise. That’s part of being a kid. The law requires landlords and tenants to put up with such noises. This would include allowing kids to play around inside their apartment at reasonable hours even if another tenant complains." THIS THE LAW DEAL WITH IT!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Well then I guess you won't care or complain when a neighbor of yours decides to blast music at your childs nap time. It is an apartment afterall and you all just need to deal. I am normally not a rude person but YOUR attitude would make me go out of my way to be loud. You CANNOT tell me that it is within your rights to be as loud as you want to h*ll with your neighbors. RE the bolded area, no, it isn't my concern or your neighbors that your child is developing and growing. You obviously aren't concerned about your neighbors so why should they be concerned about you?

I was a VERY small child when I would visit my grandparents in their apartment and I knew that I was NOT allowed to jump, run, yell or do anything that would disturb a neighbor. Are you suggesting your children cannot understand simple instructions? Are you suggesting that your children don't need to learn consideration? It sounds like you have a bigger problem than your neighbors.
Blasting your stereo during quiet times is grounds for eviction so thats on you if youre trying to get evicted. As far as my home I dont hear anything because I have my fan on full blast. They can have a party upstairs and me and my kids wont hear anything so no BIGGIE there. My kids were not doing anything excessive, thats why they are protected by the LAW. I won my Law suit because they werent doing anything that was out of the ordinary of being a kid so take your condescending question somewhere else.
Quote:
RE the bolded area, no, it isn't my concern or your neighbors that your child is developing and growing. You obviously aren't concerned about your neighbors so why should they be concerned about you?
I could care less whether you or anybody else is concerned and nor am I asking for it so where is this coming from? Do you live by me or something?

Quote:
Do you not know how to read? The manager cannot evict you if your kids have been making normal noises while playing inside your apartment, such as laughing, giggling, or rolling on the floor. To do so is illegal. The magic word here is "NORMAL NOISES". The Law states that you have to deal with it as long as they are not excessive and not non-abated.

Consideration has nothing to do with this when the Law itself will not stop a child from playing because it bothers you. And I dont think it is any of your business what I teach my kids.

Last edited by MWCar; 07-24-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,260,878 times
Lady, what are you going to do......recommend that all of us that don't agree with you be thrown in jail? You will need a VERY BIG court room and!! I think you're just so hateful towards anyone who says anything about the noise that any kids make that YOU call "normal"! The ONLY point you see is your own!
Actually I have had enough of YOU and your yelling at us and telling us "deal with it"! We PAY rent and will complain about noise......that is OUR right also!!
Ok, lady, you are absolutely RIGHT about all of us and what you say is "Word"........period, end of story!! That should make you happy now!!!

Quote:
Blasting your stereo during quiet times is grounds for eviction so thats on you if youre trying to get evicted. As far as my home I dont hear anything because I have my fan on full blast. They can have a party upstairs and me and my kids wont hear anything so no BIGGIE there. My kids were not doing anything excessive, thats why they are protected by the LAW. I won my Law suit because they werent doing anything that was out of the ordinary of being a kid so take your condescending question somewhere else.
I could care less whether you or anybody else is concerned and nor am I asking for it so where is this coming from? Do you live by me or something?

Do you not know how to read? The manager cannot evict you if your kids have been making normal noises while playing inside your apartment, such as laughing, giggling, or rolling on the floor. To do so is illegal. The magic word here is "NORMAL NOISES". The Law states that you have to deal with it as long as they are not excessive and not non-abated.

Consideration has nothing to do with this when the Law itself will not stop a child from playing because it bothers you. And I dont think it is any of your business what I teach my kids.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 07-25-2009 at 08:56 AM..

Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Which law? Which state? Can you provide a cite to the law in question?

Old 07-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Which law? Which state? Can you provide a cite to the law in question?

The Fair Housing Act is a federal law that prohibits discrimination in the sale or rental, or in the terms, conditions, or privileges of a dwelling because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (i.e., families with children under the age of 18), or handicap.

HUD or US Department of Housing and Urban Development, its mission is to increase homeownership, support community development and increase access to affordable housing free from discrimination. To fulfill this mission, HUD will embrace high standards of ethics, management and accountability and forge new partnerships--particularly with faith-based and community organizations--that leverage resources and improve HUD's ability to be effective on the community level.

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION:

Quote:
If you want more info on what a Landlord can and cannot do when it comes to Childrens Normal noises, Here is a Link to a Lawyer.THE LAW OFFICES OF CRAIG P. FAGAN: Discrimination against Families with Children, Tenant Rights
This Law is not only for a State it is for the whole country. This Law makes sure that Landlords are not discriminating againsts families with children, For example a Landlord who is attempting or threatning to evict families for Normal noise made by children IE jumping, Laughing, running, rolling on the floor, giggling, crying and just being a kid during Normal hours or Enjoyment hours ( which varies by State but usually between 8am and 10 pm), a complaint can be made to HUD or a Lawyer can be commisioned to complain about these actions because it is ILLEGAL. A fine and restitution will be paid by the Landlord out of his own pocket. And Retaliation against these families is also against the Law and will be subject to more Fines. The law does NOT make another tenant’s desire for peace and quiet paramount to your children's right to play in their apartment. To the contrary, the law expressly states that a desire for peace and quiet is NOT grounds for making rules against children. Children make noise. That’s part of being a kid. The law requires landlords and tenants to put up with such noises. This would include allowing kids to play around inside their apartment at reasonable hours even if another tenant complains.
Quote:
A lot of Tenants dont know about these Laws and are put out on the street because their Kids are just being kids, this is ILLEGAL!!! For those families having these problems contact HUD immediately.

Last edited by MWCar; 07-25-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Lady, what are you going to do......recommend that all of us that don't agree with you be thrown in jail? You will need a VERY BIG court room and!! I think you're just so hateful towards anyone who says anything about the noise that any kids make that YOU call "normal"! The ONLY point you see is your own!
Actually I have had enough of YOU and your yelling at us and telling us "deal with it"! We PAY rent and will complain about noise......that is OUR right also!!
Ok, lady, you are absolutely RIGHT about all of us and what you say is "Word"........period, end of story!! That should make you happy now!!!
The only right you have in this matter is to live somewhere else and that is it. If the children are making reasonable noise during reasonable times that is their right and its against the Law for a Landlord to complain to the childrens family about it, on the contrary the Landlord is required by the LAW to tell you to DEAL WITH IT. These are not my "Words" these are words coming from a Lawyer who deals on these kind of cases. Again here is a link so you can check it out and stop crying about how Selfish you are!!!

and the link to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development

These are federal Laws that are in place no matter how much you cry about it and nothing you can do about it. And thats my "WORD".

Quote:
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION Civil Rights Division Home Page
All you are is a Selfish Person who cant stand kids, thats all. You moved out allready so quit crying about it. Dont get mad at me I didnt write these LAWS, and Dont worry you cant go to jail for this, its for the LANDLORDS. Youre not a Landlord so why are you worried about it, they can get sued for it though and get fined by the Civil Rights Court. But, it is the LAW and Landlords and Tenants are required to put up with it, if you have a problem with that write to you congressman about it, theyll probably just throw it away but you can try.

BTW the Lease cannot be enforced when it involves any Civil Rights Law, which includes The Fair Housing Act.

Last edited by MWCar; 07-25-2009 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.