Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM

8,893 posts, read 20,292,480 times

Advertisements

Hey, I heard on the News the other day where some guy is selling "plots" on the Moon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
I used to wonder why some people lived way out deep,tucked away in the woods or mountains and you needed a treasure map to find their house. Ohhhhhh now i know to get far away from the rude,loud,disrespectful,unclean,rowdy people we call neighbors. I'm moving to Mars maybe i can find some peace there.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:19 PM

8,893 posts, read 20,292,480 times
How can you say "no" that we aren't asleep??? You don't know what we do in our lives!! We aren't causing problems, we are trying to get folks to RESPECT others so there won't be any problems. Please read some of the posts about people who were/are ABSOLUTELY SICK of loud noise that people make in apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I just don't understand why you;d drive yourself crazy and cause yourself all this undue stress about someone slamming a door at 9. Are you asleep? No. Then what is the problem? Some people just seem to enjoy drama and causing problems; you might consider that you are one of those people.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:00 PM

941 posts, read 2,298,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Right now it is 9PM and they just got home above us and SLAMMED their door closed......we heard it go BAM (loudly) which is not necessary. And, whoever is walking up their right now is REALLY walking heavy to the point is sounds like it is shaking our ceiling. Listen folks, we are just "dreaming" this noise up! They know we live down here, know we are home (know our vehicle (Handicap Plaque) is parked out front) and just don't care!! And, when the little girl stands at the kitchen window (right above ours) and kicks the wall below the window......we hear that LOUD AND CLEAR!!
All annoying with absolutely no respect for us!!
I almost laughed when i read this post because it reminds me of myself and my wife,we are only in our 30's and we complain about noise like we are seniors.Living in the city for most of our lives has taken it's toll on us,now we just want peace and quiet. We have tried many apts and it just does'nt work no matter how nice the complex may look there's always one bad apple that spoils everything. Loveboating there's nothing wrong with wanting peace you just gotta find it, try a house if you can and check the area first!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,556,035 times
Actually, what I have a hard time with is falling asleep WITHOUT noise. So if I'm somewhere out away from everything, I have to have a radio playing or something. Otherwise I just lie awake with my own thoughts for hours on end.

Silence gives me insomnia.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:13 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,944,769 times
I currently live beneath Big Foot (yes, he is real - his girlfriend goes to Duke and they live in Durham, NC). This guy is just a heavy walker and I do wonder sometimes if the ceiling will cave in. The only time I said anything was when my paintings fell off my wall. He was mystified that this happened.

I've had it MUCH worse though so I force myself to just sit there and try to ignore it - it's working for the most part.

You can't stop kids from running. I don't have kids, but I have a dog, and I can't stop her from running either. (so far I think my downstairs neighbor is ok with it - the dog is 15 and doesn't run often!)

What really makes me a maniac is bass through the walls, floors, etc. Bass literally makes me want to get violent about it. I haven't, but I had an amazing situation that ended up on court-ordered mediation twice - it was a nightmare with the bass, and then the couple stood outside my door yelling and made my dog bark (when she had hearing), then called the police. I lost 35 pounds from stress and finally broke my lease. It's a long story but that was truly a nightmare. The upstairs neighbor used to wander the block in her nightgown with no underwear, she was a loon...she said she was a featured dancer in NYC and her apartment was her dance studio.

Above my head.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM

941 posts, read 2,298,903 times
It's really a shame but people just have stone heads,we spoke to the office on Wed about our neighbors and they banged on their door and told them the music is too loud!!! They have the type of radio that will crumble sheetrock even if the volume is on 2. You think they stopped? No because people are defiant,disrespectful and believe because they pay rent they have the right to disturb others,then when they get notice to leave you become the bad guy.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,528,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
How can you say "no" that we aren't asleep??? You don't know what we do in our lives!! We aren't causing problems, we are trying to get folks to RESPECT others so there won't be any problems. Please read some of the posts about people who were/are ABSOLUTELY SICK of loud noise that people make in apartments.
I'm sorry, but if you are asleep at 9 p.m. you have to recognize that that doesn't mesh well with most people's routine. I worked a night shift for one summer and it was difficult to sleep during the day with the world going on around you. Sometimes it was even frustrating. But after calming myself down about the whole situation, I realized that if I was the one with the offbeat schedule then I was the one who needed to adjust instead of hoping and wishing that others would.

I'm not saying your situation isn't difficult for you. What I am saying, however, that sometimes it is important to recognize when your wants and desires are out of line with the reality of the situation.

Read around on these forums for a while and read some of the true horror stories people have gone though, and then perhaps you will come to understand that if could be lost worse. These people are not trying to make your life unpleasant, they are just living theirs, and no matter how much you fret or stress or complain about it, that's never going to change.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:15 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,944,769 times
Ironic - I posted about bass today, and now I'm being blasted with bass from the next building. Next building! It's not even attached to mine! the poor people who live under this guy

Old 05-23-2008, 11:12 PM

36 posts, read 176,326 times
I grew up on the 2nd floor and we used to CONSTANTLY get calls from the downstairs neighbor. We were very well behaved kids but even walking across the floor would sound very loud to them. And my little sister was a toddler, so yes sometimes she would run across the floor. Kids that age get excited- they play. Even if the parents are trying to teach them about "inside voices" and respect, a 2 yr old can't remember that every second when she sees something exciting to run to.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:18 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,198,510 times
I think that both sides need to act like they live with people.
I have lived in a lot of rentals/types of buildings. When I was younger I didnt mind the noise as much because I would usually be out at work/school/social until 11pm or so and didnt notice daytime bussle. But anyway....
After a few nightmare buildings in a row I did a little research. I found this PDF to be very helpful in looking for the type of construction to seek out and/or avoid:

www.waitakere.govt.nz/Abtcit/ei/pdfs/buyingaterracedhouse.pdf

I cant stand too much noise. I dont mind hearing light footsteps or bits of conversation mummers. I am really quiet myself so I hear everything that goes on usually. But there are buildings that really transfer noise much more than they should. Drywall sucks. Its for houses not apartments.
There is a soundproofing thing called "green glue" that is suppose to help with that bad drywall. If you ever priced drywall sheets you will see why your LL went with the cheap version of the stuff that probably doesnt meet lowest STC standards.

Having rugs down in your place and thiers will help with the noise. Hanging soft things on the walls like drapes etc will help keep it from echoing around and amplifying in your unit.

A fan constantly running or a fishtank really helps. Plus the fishtank looks pretty and you dont even have to put fish in it if you dont want. You can make it a plant tank.

Other little tips I found:
Look for:
-Plaster and Lath Multi layer construction for walls
-Concrete floors
-Cork floors
Avoid:
- Drywall without airbreaks/sound insulation
- single woodframe floor constuction
- Hardwood floors
- Hollow sounding floor/wall/doors (sound should fall flat)

I have never understood people that blast music really loud. If I was looking to rip off someone in a break-in. I would be following the bass. That screams to me there is $$$ system and etcs laying about in there. I call the cops on people that do that if it keeps going on.

I am so in love with my new upstairs neighbor. She was a basser and after a week of it I went up and asked her to turn the bass part down a bit. She wasnt angry at all. Did it right away and said no problem. Hasnt been a problem since.

The plaster and lath walls here block out everything thats not yell level. And even that sounds so much softer than that dry wall crap.
And WOO HOO to double paned windows for blocking out the outside noise.

I am so glad I did research on this as it is a total pain in the tokas to deal with bad construction + noisy neighbors.

I hope you all find better places and better neighbors.

I still am going to be looking for a single family home as soon as I can though. Then I can run the dishwasher and blast my TV whenever I want. I can even clog dance at 3 am if I care to.

To the O.P. when I was looking at this sound stuff I saw there was some soundproofing guy that does work in NYC.

Heres some links:
How to Soundproof a Ceiling

Apartment Therapy New York | Good Questions: Ceiling Soundproofing Tips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.