Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,259,030 times

Advertisements

Noise.....major problem with people who "care less" about how much noise they make in an apartment.
We live in the bottom apartment with two apartments above us. When we moved here, the apartments were brand new and only one section (18 apartments) were ready to occupy. Unfortunate for us, we didn't ask Management if these were going to be "family" (any age bracket) apartments. We didn't want to live somewhere where there were elementary/high school age kids living (our choice). Anyway, for first four months no one occupied either of the apartments above us, which meant no noise and that was totally fine with us (we have no kids and are in our early 60's). Then, a guy moved into the top apartment and turns out that he has two elementary age kids that visit him. One night we could hear "pounding" coming from upstairs, while we were in our apartment watching TV......yes, it was that loud. Sounded like a WWF Match going on. Went upstairs to talk to them, but the kids wouldn't answer the door (apparently dad wasn't home).
Management sent him (the dad) a letter that he basically ignored.

Then, a lady moved into the apartment right above us.....with a 18 month old. This child loves to run across the floor (sometimes falling), loves to look out the kitchen window and kick the wall under the window and sits in a small chair and stomp her feet on the floor!! Doing all of this with either the grandma or mother right there in the apartment. We talked to the grandma with no response other than to say "to bad". Then, when the father of the child stops by, he walks across the floor with Work Boots on!! We talked to Management and they said "These are family apartments and you will have to put up with some noise".
Any suggestions. We do like kids, but this noise is just "something else"!!
They totally act like "We don't care how loud we are and Management isn't going to bother us......so "pi__ off"!!
Please Note: due to my hip replacement, I can only live on the bottom floor of any apartment.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,191,937 times
Unfortunately the noise you describe is to be expected in apartments.(I was an assistant manager at a large three story complex) People have a right to live in their apartment, by that I mean walk across the floor. Kids run, kids play and they have a right too. This type of noise is to be expected. Now if you were complaining about loud radios, screaming etc...that is different.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you would be better off finding a complex that has only one story apartments. Sorry.

Edited to add: I also have been in the position of neighbors as well having two boys and living over someone who doesn't have kids. People below us complained from day one that walking across the floor was too much noise. Its very hard to live in an apt. and pay good money over 1000 a month and have to tiptoe across the floor or move a chair without worrying about disturbing those below you. Especially having to tell a 3 and 4 year old that they can't ever be excited or play with their toys on the floor because the people below don't like it. It galls me now to know that for a year, we paid so much money every month and were never home(always at the park to not disturb anyone) or could not enjoy our home because of our fear of our downstairs neighbors.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 05-20-2008 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-20-2008, 11:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,907,656 times
Noise and bugs... those were the reasons we stopped renting apartments and moved to single family homes.

Extra rent... $200/mo.

Peace and quiet... priceless.

That said, sometimes you can find a one bedroom home for about the same price as an apartment, if you look hard.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,031,925 times
Try some white-noise generating equipment like a fan or stereo with quiet music. Foam earplugs are another option. You can buy them in bulk very cheap.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,573 times
Unfortunently; living on the 1st floor of (sometimes thin) apartments can be the worse. I dealt with it once in a flimsy apartment and the noise was unbearable. i even heard someone having sex right above my room.

You may want to try a duplex of some sort.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,259,030 times
We know that people have to "live" in an apartment, but I still say the word "respect" to others (like us) that pay rent also. The people above us KNOW that we are below them and simply act like they don't care......now that gets my goat period! Take the child outside to play around on the lawn or to a Park. Heck, its' Summer now! The mother/grandma letting this child kick the wall while looking out a window is unreasonable.....BE PARENTS!!!
When you have small children or teens and live in an apartment, parents HAVE to remember and RESPECT others living around them.
I don't think single level apartments exsist anymore. They stopped making them b/c they didn't make enough money in them.
As far as ear plugs, etc. go: if people would have to wear earplugs or turn up their tv, the noise has gotten "out of hand" and that is when the police should be called! It's not that bad for us yet.
Apartments are not houses. In a house, have a party do whatever. Apartments are smaller living quarters and should be treated as such (for noise).

Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
I think you're being very unreasonable. I am sorry you are having problems, but as another poster said that's part of apartment or condo living. Children make noise, it's what they do. It's not ideal, but what are you going to do? Even you say it's not to the level of calling police.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:07 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,191,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Apartments are not houses. In a house, have a party do whatever. Apartments are smaller living quarters and should be treated as such (for noise).
I am sorry your neighbors aren't taking your complaints more seriously. When I worked in apts. we would get at least three calls a day about noise from above and below. Again there really is nothing to be done about day to day noises coming from an apartment, children running, people walking. Apartments are great noise conductors, especially newer ones, no sound insulation whatsoever. The noise you are describing is nothing above normal. Unfortunately for you, management probably will do nothing about it, Unless they are throwing parties, playing loud music etc... or violating noise ordinances. Call the police if your neighbors are truly that loud.

If it is really that unbearable to you, move to a complex that has an elevator and get an upper floor, rent a house, Move to an adult only complex.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 05-20-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-20-2008, 02:43 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,097,416 times
Rent in a complex that has elavators then request only the top floor!!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM

630 posts, read 2,221,854 times
I don't have kids above me, actually it's very quiet unless the one female above me is home....thank goodness she travels a lot. She like to do laundry starting at 10pm though 2am and will start as early as 6am on the weekend (the laundry is against the bedroom wall). She walks like godzilla, you would never know she is only about 5'4" and weighs no more than 145. When she walks across the floor it even rattles the ventilation ducts in the ceiling and you can hear the ceiling creak....lol. This building is new and was just completed in June '07'. I would understand if there were kids but adults with no respect are something else. All I can say it I sure enjoy my apartment when she is on travel.

I tried to be nice and talk with her to let her know that when she walked across the floor it was very loud, I told her I understand that sometimes when people come home from work they are stressed and when in a rush to go somewhere. I just wanted to let her know that she was walking heavily and if possible have the laundry completed by 11pm and on the weekends not start until 7am at the earliest. I got the usual, if you don't like it move. So I complained about the laundry running so late and early, the they sent her a notice, but she still does it from time to time.

I just figure some people are just plain rude, and all I can do is really enjoy my peace and quiet when she is not around.

Last edited by MagicTouch; 05-20-2008 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting