Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
EXCUSE ME!!! But you complained about a blender early in the morning, which is COMPLETELY NORMAL morning noise. If that is what you are complaining about you have problems. BTW I get up EARLIER than 5AM to get ready to commute for work and <gasp> I've been known to make my breakfast drink in a blender b/c I have to <gasp> live. And the guy upstairs from me works unusual hours so I have to hear him walking around with <gasp> shoes on over my bedroom while I'm trying to sleep. <Gasp> I had to get used to it b/c I live below him - How inconsiderate of him to wear shoes in his own home after 10PM...the nerve!!! Next thing you know he'll expect to have breakfast in the morning or get phone calls past 9 PM! Hell the guy below me had a snoring problem - that actually woke me up - I should've called the cops on him daring to try to sleep with an obvious apnea problem.

Bottom line you complained about a blender in the AM - your expectations are unreasonable. You posted on a forum for advice - I've lived as a professional in apartments for over 10 years - your listed expectation was unreasonable. The man wasn't throwing a party at midnight on a Tuesday, he put his blender on in the morning to make breakfast.
The only problem I have is a lack of sleep from his stupid stereo being played after midnight. I actually wake up at 5:00 a.m., but I am exhausted from his stereo and partying all night long. I go to work exhausted from his partying all night long. I think if you had to teach young children on 3 and 4 hours of sleep, you would be cranky and sensitive to everything too. I could lose my job from a lack of sleep. I love my job and don't want to lose it.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Noise.....major problem with people who "care less" about how much noise they make in an apartment.
We live in the bottom apartment with two apartments above us. When we moved here, the apartments were brand new and only one section (18 apartments) were ready to occupy. Unfortunate for us, we didn't ask Management if these were going to be "family" (any age bracket) apartments. We didn't want to live somewhere where there were elementary/high school age kids living (our choice). Anyway, for first four months no one occupied either of the apartments above us, which meant no noise and that was totally fine with us (we have no kids and are in our early 60's). Then, a guy moved into the top apartment and turns out that he has two elementary age kids that visit him. One night we could hear "pounding" coming from upstairs, while we were in our apartment watching TV......yes, it was that loud. Sounded like a WWF Match going on. Went upstairs to talk to them, but the kids wouldn't answer the door (apparently dad wasn't home).
Management sent him (the dad) a letter that he basically ignored.

Then, a lady moved into the apartment right above us.....with a 18 month old. This child loves to run across the floor (sometimes falling), loves to look out the kitchen window and kick the wall under the window and sits in a small chair and stomp her feet on the floor!! Doing all of this with either the grandma or mother right there in the apartment. We talked to the grandma with no response other than to say "to bad". Then, when the father of the child stops by, he walks across the floor with Work Boots on!! We talked to Management and they said "These are family apartments and you will have to put up with some noise".
Any suggestions. We do like kids, but this noise is just "something else"!!
They totally act like "We don't care how loud we are and Management isn't going to bother us......so "pi__ off"!!
Please Note: due to my hip replacement, I can only live on the bottom floor of any apartment.
Just curious, have you talked to management about this? This could be a CPS problem or an issue that the child just simply doesn't live in a large enough space. If there is something like neglect going on in this apartment, then it needs to be reported which is why you need to talk to management. I have heard of laws that state that a child that age can not live in a studio apartment. Last year, I had a kid in my class who became severely disruptive all of a sudden. I spoke to his mom about it, and she said they just moved into a travel trailer. Bottom line, the kid didn't have enough space to play when he would go home. She decided to enroll him in sports and after school clubs and his behavior improved. If you can approach your neighbor, maybe you can suggest to them that they get the child enrolled in play groups or toddler classes at the YMCA. I think most children tend to go stir crazy if they don't have anywhere to play. I have even noticed that my students actually have more behavior problems if they can't go out to recess because of the weather or whatever reason.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
I just turn up my TV really really loud and bang on the walls randomly and that shuts my neighbors up. I wrote them a note and it did nothing. Paybacks a b1 tch LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Atlmburns-I hope you are not one of the lovely parents who allows their kids to run around like total maniacs in public such as restaurants, bookstores, grocery stores, etc.

Yes it is an apartment but it's not a HOME meaning it's a SHARED community and therefore there needs to be respect and boundries.

Whether you are in an apartment or a single family home, you need to be respectful of your neighbors.
Even in life in general but thats a totally different topic..
Well said!!! It scares me what parents allow their children to do. I see very young kids at my apartment complex running around everywhere without supervision. One morning, I had a kid at my door step that couldn't have been any older than 2 who was running around unsupervised. I mean don't these parents realize that are horrible people out there who want to hurt kids?

I totally agree with you when you said that in apartments, you need to be respectful of your neighbors. My idiot neighbor actually had his stereo up so loud that my whole apartment vibrated. I don't think I should have to put up with this. I already spoke to management about them. I guess my next move is calling the cops. I have been having asthma symptoms so I really don't need to be putting up with his noise right now. Therefore, I have enough trouble sleeping even when my apartment is quiet. Ever since this idiot moved in things have gotten a lot worse. Now, I am even more tired throughout the day.

I think it is important to realize that when you live in an apartment that your neighbor may be sick and a little quiet can help them.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:23 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Well, part of our "neighbor noise" problem is that the ceiling/floor construction of our set of apartments is extremely bad. This is a new complex as of late last year. Our neighbors above us (w/the 2 yr old) moved out last month, BUT a single middle-aged guy moved in and we can hear EVERY single step he walks!! AND, he is not a heavy guy, but it does seem like he walks awfully hard. Actually, one time I had to tell my wife about walking hard when we stayed at a motel and was on the second floor. Besides walking hard, there are some things he does (things falling) that we can also hear. So, it's not just how loud some tenants can be, it's how lousy the construction of the buildings can be!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
Yes many of the apt buildings are not well constructed to insulate neighbors from noise. Sometimes the sounds of very normal actions will appear to actually be magnified to those living downstairs. That is why I said there may not be much an upstairs person is doing that is all that abnormal and/or much that can reasonably be expected for them to change. I really have learned the art of mind over matter myself & just tuning it out. No other choice really, I can't ask someone to change how they walk or not to wear shoes in their own home or not to make food for themselves when they are hungry.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:58 PM

11 posts, read 61,150 times
I have many problems regarding noise with the neighbors that live DOWNSTAIRS from me.. The excuse is thin floors/ceilings. I just think it is unfair that I try to keep it down and they constantly are loud. Word is that they have turned their BR into their LR,, which is right below ours.. So if I feel like taking a nap in the middle of the day, their TV is either blasting or they are talking so loud I can hear their convos. I have complained to them a number of times to no avail.. and even to the LL. I just think there are very rude and inconsiderate ppl in the world,, and no matter how much it annoys me, I still can't do the same back.. I just want to know if there is anything I can do to enjoy living in my apartment,, and I don't just mean after 11 pm at night!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:05 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Yes, I hear ya. The neighbors downstairs have their whole clan over and the smoke smell and noise is just nasty up here. Gross. Can't wait to move out and I have only been here two months.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:42 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Sounds like some of you would love to live in a neighborhood association area. Then you can all nitpik your neighbors to death and decide what color they can paint their home, what they can have in their yard, how long their grass is allowed to get, how many cars they can have in their driveway, and what they can have in their windows. Instead of constantly complaining about normal everyday noise like people walking or children playing how about you shop around and move when your lease is up. Be sure to look for a place that doesn't allow children and will throw out anyone playing their tv or stereo too loud. I've had a neighbor complain my TV was too loud when I lived in an apartment. The fact that what was once my good ear had it's eardrum removed due to polyps and my bad ear is now my good ear may have had something to do with my TV volume. That and the fact that after 8 years of working in the engineroom of a ship and currently working in a loud hospital boiler room might also have something to do with my TV volume. I also work rotating shifts at the hospital so excuse me if I have my TV on when I come home from work at 11pm or when I turn it on to get ready for work when I awake at 4am on a different shift. Not everyone works your schedule, not everyone has your perfect hearing, and not everyone lives happily without children. Do yourself a favor, go to Walgreens and pick up a package of Hearo's ear plugs. Roll one between your thumb and index finger, reach over your head and pull up your ear, place the ear plug in the ear, and let it expand. Repeat with other ear. These ear plugs are soft enough that you can wear them to sleep and good enough to reduce the decibel by over 30db. If you're concerned you won't awake to your alarm then test it on a weekend or increase the volume of your radio alarm.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
for people on the bottom of the food chain, boundaries and self care are major constantly present issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting