Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 PM

725 posts, read 2,322,450 times

Advertisements

Why should people keep their mouths shut or get over it about teens playing guitars or toddlers running around making noise???????

It's the parent's job to take control. You can't do anything to the kids, but you can get after the adults.

There's really no such thing as a bad kid - only a bad parent. If the parents won't do anything to control their kids, they are the people that should be called down by the Landlord. If the Landlord won't do anything the tenants should take action.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,208 times
I can tell you - I am counting the days until June 2009 when we can get out of this condo that we live in. I am going to do anything and everything that I have to so that I can rent a house. I am so over condo / apartment living. I need room for my daughter.

I am so over having people around me who have no consideration for anyone else. Don't get me wrong. I don't expect absolute silence.....just consideration. I don't expect the woman upstairs to keep her 3 boys totally quiet, but how about teaching them that they don't live in a house and they need to remember that there are people who live around them?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:52 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
About second paragraph........you ARE right there. The word CONSIDERATION just isn't a word in numerous tentants volcabulary! Right now, we are listening to our upstairs neighbor (right above us) making all kinds of noise running after their dog. Can actually hear the dog and person running across our ceiling. Take the dog to a Dog Park and play with it! The dog is a full size Golden Retriever! We aren't complaining b/c we are moving out on the 9th of next month.......thank you Lord, thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
I can tell you - I am counting the days until June 2009 when we can get out of this condo that we live in. I am going to do anything and everything that I have to so that I can rent a house. I am so over condo / apartment living. I need room for my daughter.

I am so over having people around me who have no consideration for anyone else. Don't get me wrong. I don't expect absolute silence.....just consideration. I don't expect the woman upstairs to keep her 3 boys totally quiet, but how about teaching them that they don't live in a house and they need to remember that there are people who live around them?

Old 12-28-2008, 03:28 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
As to a dog barking at everything that moves be very grateful. I have two large dogs...senior and junior.

I'm retired in Baja and most of the few houses around me have been broken into...a couple two and three times. I've never been touched. Why? Junior barks at anything or anyone within 500 ft of the house. Senior will at times join in but is more concerned with the street directly in front. They are both adament about anyone coming close to their territory. Cost?? about $25 a month and I do have them as good companions in my late yrs. Even the JW people don't come around anymore.

Senior (father) is 10 yrs old while junior is 4 yrs old. They would never bite anyone. Their size and bark is a detterent in itself to anyone that does not know them.

Gosh...realize this not related to renters...barking can be music to some peoples ears after listening to noisey kids and their running sounds upstairs.

Steve

Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As to a dog barking at everything that moves be very grateful. I have two large dogs...senior and junior.

I'm retired in Baja and most of the few houses around me have been broken into...a couple two and three times. I've never been touched. Why? Junior barks at anything or anyone within 500 ft of the house. Senior will at times join in but is more concerned with the street directly in front. They are both adament about anyone coming close to their territory. Cost?? about $25 a month and I do have them as good companions in my late yrs. Even the JW people don't come around anymore.

Senior (father) is 10 yrs old while junior is 4 yrs old. They would never bite anyone. Their size and bark is a detterent in itself to anyone that does not know them.

Gosh...realize this not related to renters...barking can be music to some peoples ears after listening to noisey kids and their running sounds upstairs.

Steve
You are so right. Any time it upsets me, I just think back to the stomping kids, the cigarette butts dropped from upstairs patios, the folks hanging out at 3 am in the guest parking (right outside my bedroom), and jockeying for laundry facilities. It already seems so long ago, and it has only been a week!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM

Yes, you are right about barking can be "music" to some folks ears when it comes to crime prevention. But, what about the barking that has nothing to do with crime......barking b/c of other dogs barking, barking at owls, barking at a cat in a backyard, playing/barking in a backyard at 2AM. And, why would a any city/town have an Ordinance against dogs barking at night (while people are sleeping) if there wasn't a problem with dogs barking in the first place???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Steve

Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 AM

Well, the pounding noise our upstairs (right above us) neighbor was making last night was just too much. So, wife and I decided to pay him a visit and see what the heck was going on. When asked about the loud noise, he told us that him and his daughter were playing the Wii Game Bowling in the living room which is right above our living room! This was at 9PM at night and we were trying to watch TV with all of this "pounding" going on. He acted like it was no big deal how much noise they were making! He told us that they would stop at 11PM......WHAT, 11PM, that late???? No way!!!! Him and his daughter kept us awake until 11:30PM the night before.
Well, we (wife/I) had every intention of going and talking to the Manager the next morning (we will see how things go before talking to management). Even though we are moving in a couple of weeks, this kind of noise was just too much for us too handle. Anyway, the guy decided to come down to our apartment and talk to us. He apologized to us (sort of) and told us that he had a bad day with his wife that he is going thru a divorce with. So, does that "bad day" you had mean you have to put us thru "loud pounding" Hell??? He told us that he would move the Wii Bowling game into the bedroom opposite our bedroom......ok, that was fine to us. The guy really sounded like he would quiet things down and we were very appreciative that he stopped by. THEN, about a half hour later, the "pounding" started up again in the same area right above our living room!!!! He was nice (speaking) to us than turned right around and started up the pounding again......some people!!
As stated many, many times before in this Thread (by both the OP and others), certain things just can NOT be done in apartments.......especially when they TOTALLY disturb other tenants. Want to play the Wii Game Bowling, fine, but do it in a house or rent a bottom apartment! Even playing this game during the day is better than pounding a ceiling while people are trying to relax and watch tv or SLEEP. And, don't make your marital problems mine!!!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yes, you are right about barking can be "music" to some folks ears when it comes to crime prevention. But, what about the barking that has nothing to do with crime......barking b/c of other dogs barking, barking at owls, barking at a cat in a backyard, playing/barking in a backyard at 2AM. And, why would a any city/town have an Ordinance against dogs barking at night (while people are sleeping) if there wasn't a problem with dogs barking in the first place???
There are different kinds of barking. A dog that's barking because of foot traffic.. annoying, but understandable. A dog that's barking because it is bored to tears, lonely and upset, cramped in too small a space - that's neglect. Walking often helps.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:28 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
There are different kinds of barking. A dog that's barking because of foot traffic.. annoying, but understandable. A dog that's barking because it is bored to tears, lonely and upset, cramped in too small a space - that's neglect. Walking often helps.
We had a house dog that had to become and outside dog. Long story short he barked himself barkless. He had to be moved inside. At first our neighbors wanted to kill us..But then it just became funny that our dog would just not shut up. Constant..non-stop. If I had to live next to a dog that did that...I might kill myself.

Glad the neighbors were also dog people that found the humor is the dog that loved to be around people way too much.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:41 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Children are children. They are meant to play and run around. Sorry you live below them but that is the risk you taking living on the first floor.

It would courteous of the parents to be considerate and tell their chldren to knock it off but it really depends on the age of the children.

You live in an apartment. You have to expect noise. That is just what apartments are all about.

Dogs barking incessantly does violate most city ordinances about noise level. I understand that would be hard to control as well but they are not children. You can evict a tenant for having a dog without permission but you cannot evict one for having a child without permission. NOt the same thing.

I hated apartment living when i had a baby. I had people playing their stereo in the daytime and nighttime, playing BASS instruments when my kid was napping, and tossing cigarettes onto my doorstep. People were yelling at the pool area and i could hear it. IT stunk but it is what it is. I lived where I lived. I could complain about the radio and instruments and cigarettes but not the children thumping around up there (and they did have them) or clomping down the stairways, i tried to ask about it and they said you cannot regulate normal activity like running and walking and talking and babies crying

They had rules about noise being heard in other apartments. But since you cannot regulate how loud a child is (even if the parents are asking the kids to use their inside voices) you cannot evict them because of anything to do with children if it is within reason and normal activity in an apartment home.

There is a difference between CHOOSING to make noise (TV -RADIO -INSTRUMENTS- DOGS BARKING) and not choosing to -yet still making noise (CHILDREN RUNNING or CRYING).

You don't like it then you should relocate to a single family dwelling or perhaps a townhouse.

You can't afford it? Well neither can the people with the children most likely.

You cannot regulate the noise volume of children no matter how hard you try even if you beg and plead. They may be disrespectful and i understand that bothers you, but there is not one thing you or the manager or landlord can do when it comes to children, including kids screaming in the middle of the night. They rent that space and they are allowed to use it.

Do you even know if the parents have TRIED to get their kids to shut up? Have you asked them directly NICELY to please try to reign in the kids wildness? Do you think YOU could get a 2 yr old to be QUIET when they are hurt or upset or having a tantrum or to not run or skip without beating or abusing them????

You sound like you are being overreacting abit yourself. Reading a book? Watching TV? Children are not preventing you from doing that. You may have to deal some noise but they are in no way preventing you from enjoying a book or a tv show or movie. Turn your volume up, they come with controls.

Now maybe if you were trying to sleep I would understand, but that would only be late at night and if there was an infant involved you would just have to deal with it. Babies cry and chldren have nightmares and yell at their parents for water and such.

They, like you, rent the apartment and are allowed to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, absolutely NO ONE said a thing about a law against having children in an apartment!!!!!! We have been (numerous times in fact) saying is that apartments are NOT houses. When parents allow their young kids to play too rowdy in an apartment (yelling/screaming/jumping/stomping) and turn that apartment into a "playground", that is when the noise goes to far/too loud! Children can play, but parents must be aware that there are other people living right next to, above or below them. If some parents of kids would RESPECT other tenants, those other tenants wouldn't have a problem with the kids!
And, as far as that word "discrimination" goes, that word sometimes is just a "cover-up word" so people can do whatever they want! Not EVERYONE wants to be around/hear kids playing when they are trying to read a book or watch tv!

Last edited by Taboo2; 01-02-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting