Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

I know you said you prefer to rent a first-floor apartment because you don't like to climb stairs, but I bet a family with kids doesn't like it either. Maybe they'd like to live on the first floor and not have to haul little kids and a family-sized bunch of groceries up the stairs, but the ground floor is taken?

I'm sorry you're miserable where you are, but I've yet to experience an apartment building or hotel that didn't sound like people were stomping all over the place. It just comes with the territory, unfortunately, of living so close to other people.

My advice is to either find a building with an elevator and rent something on the top floor, or specifically request an upstairs tenant who is extremely sedentary. You might have the best luck looking in senior communities, maybe one with strict no-grandkids rules.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:10 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Children are children. They are meant to play and run around. Sorry you live below them but that is the risk you taking living on the first floor.

It would courteous of the parents to be considerate and tell their chldren to knock it off but it really depends on the age of the children.

You live in an apartment. You have to expect noise. That is just what apartments are all about.

Dogs barking incessantly does violate most city ordinances about noise level. I understand that would be hard to control as well but they are not children. You can evict a tenant for having a dog without permission but you cannot evict one for having a child without permission. NOt the same thing.

I hated apartment living when i had a baby. I had people playing their stereo in the daytime and nighttime, playing BASS instruments when my kid was napping, and tossing cigarettes onto my doorstep. People were yelling at the pool area and i could hear it. IT stunk but it is what it is. I lived where I lived. I could complain about the radio and instruments and cigarettes but not the children thumping around up there (and they did have them) or clomping down the stairways, i tried to ask about it and they said you cannot regulate normal activity like running and walking and talking and babies crying

They had rules about noise being heard in other apartments. But since you cannot regulate how loud a child is (even if the parents are asking the kids to use their inside voices) you cannot evict them because of anything to do with children if it is within reason and normal activity in an apartment home.

There is a difference between CHOOSING to make noise (TV -RADIO -INSTRUMENTS- DOGS BARKING) and not choosing to -yet still making noise (CHILDREN RUNNING or CRYING).

You don't like it then you should relocate to a single family dwelling or perhaps a townhouse.

You can't afford it? Well neither can the people with the children most likely.

You cannot regulate the noise volume of children no matter how hard you try even if you beg and plead. They may be disrespectful and i understand that bothers you, but there is not one thing you or the manager or landlord can do when it comes to children, including kids screaming in the middle of the night. They rent that space and they are allowed to use it.

Do you even know if the parents have TRIED to get their kids to shut up? Have you asked them directly NICELY to please try to reign in the kids wildness? Do you think YOU could get a 2 yr old to be QUIET when they are hurt or upset or having a tantrum or to not run or skip without beating or abusing them????

You sound like you are being overreacting abit yourself. Reading a book? Watching TV? Children are not preventing you from doing that. You may have to deal some noise but they are in no way preventing you from enjoying a book or a tv show or movie. Turn your volume up, they come with controls.

Now maybe if you were trying to sleep I would understand, but that would only be late at night and if there was an infant involved you would just have to deal with it. Babies cry and chldren have nightmares and yell at their parents for water and such.

They, like you, rent the apartment and are allowed to use it.
Am I some alien that grew up in some rare out of this world house where "inside voice" and "inside play" rules were created?

I really want to know...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Am I some alien that grew up in some rare out of this world house where "inside voice" and "inside play" rules were created?

I really want to know...
In some apartments, it really does not matter, especially with moving around. Unless you are literally tiptoeing or walking as quietly as you can, your steps will sound like stomping. And voices can carry quite a bit in close quarters.

My house is about 50 years old, and my kids can sound like a herd of horses upstairs. I've gone up there to scold them about playing so roughly, only to see them walking around as they ordinarily do.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:11 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,439 times
I feel everyone's pain. Apparently I have an efin rhinoceros living above me who runs a moving company from 10pm to 8 am sometimes. Oh well like I said PAYBACKS a bich!!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I feel everyone's pain. Apparently I have an efin rhinoceros living above me who runs a moving company from 10pm to 8 am sometimes. Oh well like I said PAYBACKS a bich!!
wait a minute are you living in my apartment with me? i SWEAR when it's 10 pm the noise automatically starts!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
wait a minute are you living in my apartment with me? i SWEAR when it's 10 pm the noise automatically starts!
Pretty much, I've come to the conclusion that I have an OCD Nocturnal Rhino living above me, but than again I'm not impressed with Dallas at all. A few more weeks and back to Florida for me. I have a townhome there and its much more peaceful there.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
I'm about ready to sell my soul to get out of my apartment. I have to be at work very early each morning - by 6:30. My neighbors, who are also the managers, scream and yell at each other constantly until at least midnight every night. On New Year's Eve, they were doing this at 1:30 a.m. I finally got fed up and banged a shoe against our common wall a few times. I'm limited in what I can do, though, as I know for a fact that the sons in that family are gang bangers. The owner of this building couldn't care less, and because I'm paying $300 less than the market rate (the apartment is under rent control), he'd be here in a hot minute to help me pack if I threatened to move! These idiots next door also clump up and down the stairs loudly, yell to each other in the courtyard, and have loud conversations on the balcony right outside my window. During the day, the grandmother babysits one of the gang banger's babies, and she cries all day (the baby, not the grandmother!). I'm going to be a raving lunatic if I have to put up with this much longer.

To anyone who says that you should try to learn to live with it, please go ahead. Put your money where your mouth is. You try putting up with this for 2 1/2 years now like I have! It's like Chinese water torture, with a cumulative effect on your peace of mind and psyche. I have to listen to music constantly to drown them out, even when I just want silence. I also don't want total silence from these people, but a little consideration and common sense would go a long way!

I want to move. I dream of moving. However, at the moment it just isn't possible. For the price of my two bedroom apartment I'm in now, I could only get into a one-bedroom place if I moved. I have my two kids living with me (I sleep in the living room); my daughter just finished college and is trying to find a job so she can move out, and my son is still in college full time. I'm gritting my teeth, wondering how long I can put up with this. It's truly Hell not being able to relax in your own home.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Yikes, such horror stories.

I was determined and told d.h. that if we move out here, renting a house and not an apartment is mandatory.
I absolutely love it, it's very quiet out here.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 11,317 times
Default Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I slam doors, because otherwise, the places I've lived in, the door won't SHUT unless you slam it.

I have to laugh when you tell people "you have to slam it"...and they try pulling the door gently..."See, like I said, you have to SLAM it."

Then I suggest you get your door fixed and stop being disrespectful to your neighbors - simple solution

There is a lot of lack of respect in apt buildings...no matter how much you ask them to tone it down some it continues anyway..people do not care nor can they be bothered with it. Apts blow its as simple as that, and alot of it has to do with the apt managers and the rules ....yes it is understood that children will be noisey...but...the parents need to teach them not to be outrageous with the noise level...its a matter of respect for other people.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
In some apartments, it really does not matter, especially with moving around. Unless you are literally tiptoeing or walking as quietly as you can, your steps will sound like stomping. And voices can carry quite a bit in close quarters.

My house is about 50 years old, and my kids can sound like a herd of horses upstairs. I've gone up there to scold them about playing so roughly, only to see them walking around as they ordinarily do.
Well your house is THE AGE of those made with less than stellar construction. Also house structure and apt structure building codes are different when it comes to sound insulation requirements. I lived in many types of structures and its just plain and simple...Its RUDE not to by even concerned that you are affecting someone's life to the point of depriving them of sleep etc.

I would be up all night when I lived at home with my parents and they never woke up to anything I was doing because I kept it down..You know..like a normal person.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting