U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 PM

36 posts, read 131,423 times
Apartments can and have been sued for complaining about noise made by kids. I am a mother of two toddlers and have sued my apartments for harrasing me about my children being noisy in their own home, guess what I won and they had to pay me, and on top of that they were fined for discrimination. It is against the law, [SIZE=2]The law requires tenants to put up with reasonable noises made by children. The law expressly states that a desire for peace and quiet is NOT grounds for making rules against children. Children make noise. Thatís part of being a kid. So either get out or deal with it and stop harassing that family or you might end up getting sued or fined by the police for disturbing the peace and harassment.
[/SIZE]

Old 07-24-2009, 02:59 AM

15,483 posts, read 13,426,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWCar View Post
Apartments can and have been sued for complaining about noise made by kids. I am a mother of two toddlers and have sued my apartments for harrasing me about my children being noisy in their own home, guess what I won and they had to pay me, and on top of that they were fined for discrimination. It is against the law, [SIZE=2]The law requires tenants to put up with reasonable noises made by children. The law expressly states that a desire for peace and quiet is NOT grounds for making rules against children. Children make noise. Thatís part of being a kid. So either get out or deal with it and stop harassing that family or you might end up getting sued or fined by the police for disturbing the peace and harassment.
[/SIZE]
I wish they still had adults-only sections in apartment/condo complexes.

But since I am pulling an all-nighter awaiting the movers who are moving me into my new house, I no longer care about apartment noise. But it would be nice if some parents would teach their children consideration and ask them to use their indoor voices while playing indoors.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I wish they still had adults-only sections in apartment/condo complexes.

But since I am pulling an all-nighter awaiting the movers who are moving me into my new house, I no longer care about apartment noise. But it would be nice if some parents would teach their children consideration and ask them to use their indoor voices while playing indoors.
It is against the law to discriminate and to segregate children in a seperate area. And who do you think you are? Being noisy is part of being a kid and essential to their development and well being, Im pretty sure you werent a quiet kid. Supressing a child is a bigger crime than your peace being disturbed. Live in the mountains if you dont want to be bothered. I am more worried about my child growing up to be normal and happy than your desire for peace and quiet.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 AM

And for those people who want to complain about children playing making noise playing, jumping, running and just being a kid, guess what it is their right and there are are LAWS that protect them, either deal with it or get out. Parents who are being harassed because of their children call HUD, You can call Toll Free at 180066997777. Dont stress about it and dont tell your kids to be quiet during normal hours, in my case Between 8AM and 10 PM. It will cause more harm than good. I know full well the stress it causes when you you are constantly harassed, but please dont take it out on your kids, they are just doing what is normal to them. HUD link with instructions on how to make a complaint
Quote:
http://www.hud.gov/complaints/housediscrim.cfm
And a link to a Lawyers website that has answers to some of your questions about your childrens rights.
Quote:
http://www.discriminationiswrong.com/families2.html#noise
. Parents protect your children and do not allow people to tell you that your kids shouldnt be doing this and that. The Law requires TENANTS and Landlords to put up with Children,s Noise!!!!! It is against the Law for Landlords to quiet a child...at all times!!!Even if you signed a lease, that lease is unenforceable if it violates the child's civil right. If if there is such a rule in your lease that states that children are not allowed to make noise, then that is a violation in itself and is grounds for a Complaint to HUD. DO NOT SUPPRESS YOUR KIDS NATURAL ACTIONS!!!!LET THEM PLAY!!!THEY ARE KIDS!!!LET PEOPLE COMPLAIN, IF THEY HARASS YOU CALL THE POLICE, IF THE LANDLORD IS HARASSING YOU, CONTACT HUD!!! YOU DO NOT NEED A LAWYER TO EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!!! IF YOU WANT TO SUE THE LANDLORD AND HAVE THEM PAY YOU RESTITUTION FOR MENTAL AND EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, THEN BY ALL MEANS DO, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO FIGHT BACK. AS A PARENT YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN!!! Again the Link for HUD is http://www.hud.gov/complaints/housediscrim.cfm and the Link for Info on your Childrens rights http://www.discriminationiswrong.com/families2.html#noise

Last edited by MWCar; 07-24-2009 at 10:52 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 10:48 AM

5,676 posts, read 10,188,032 times
One persons (parent) idea of a child playing in an apartment can definitely be different than another persons (non-parent and OLDER) idea! Little kids running back and forth and jumping on the floor= shaking/rattling hanging pictures or displayed dishes on the walls of the lower apartment.......now THAT is just too much! If the tenant who is getting all the noise lets the tenant that is making the noise know how much the noise is disturbing them, the "noisy" tenant needs to be more considerate and lower the noise level. As stated hundred's of times in the Renting Forum.......apartments are NOT houses!
Please don't get me wrong, kids should be allowed to play in an apartment, but, at the same time, there ARE other people living around you!
We are now living in a "bungaloo" type apartment (absolutely no one above us) and we love it! Heck, we don't even hear our neighbors that live next to us on two sides of our apartment.

Quote:
Can my landlord evict me if my kids make too much noise while playing inside the apartment? No. Your landlord will probably be surprised to learn that he cannot tell your children to quit playing inside of the apartment. Federal and state fair housing laws expressly require apartment dwellers to put up with normal, reasonable noise from children. This noise would clearly include noise made by children while playing in an apartment, provided that their conduct isnít overtly unreasonable (e.g. jumping off their beds at 1 a.m., or playing the stereo on high late at night) . The manager cannot evict you if your kids have been making normal noises while playing inside your apartment, such as laughing, giggling, or rolling on the floor. To do so is illegal. The law does NOT make another tenantís desire for peace and quiet paramount to your children's right to play in their apartment. To the contrary, the law expressly states that a desire for peace and quiet is NOT grounds for making rules against children. Children make noise. Thatís part of being a kid. The law requires landlords and tenants to put up with such noises. This would include allowing kids to play around inside their apartment at reasonable hours even if another tenant complains.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:28 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,181,202 times
I've pretty much learned to live with noise in apartments. I do not have the means right now to buy a house, and have been unsuccessful finding a house for rent that met my needs.

The first apartment I lived in, had Godzilla upstairs and some guy who blasted some sort of terrorist propaganda on his tv next door, at all hours of the night (no kidding here, one day I come home to find the FBI outside waiting for me and other neighbors to find out if we had any information on the guy, suspected for plotting to blow something up - but this is a whole other story). I was not there for long so no big deal with the noise.

I stayed in a rented room in a house for a while, then back to apartment living. The next apartment we were all the way on the top (3rd) floor but the people just below us had their bass turned way up, all the time. Felt like an earthquake. Then the management took out a nice plot of grass with benches and put in a jungle gym for the kids, right below us. Between the screaming of the kids, parents yelling at them, and some little punks throwing rocks at our cars and windows, I had enough. Management comes out and says "we don't throw rocks, and please stop yelling", and then the parents start blasting the manager with "don't tell my kids what to do" etc. It was horrible.

Then the next place after that was a condo, middle floor. The walls here were good, but the ceiling not so much. I never heard a peep out of people across the way, or on either side of me, nor below me. But whoever lived above.. oh my. You would hear a saw of some sort spin up, wood cutting. Then hammering, and then vacuuming. He must of turned his living room into a woodshop.

Then every Saturday night, at 11pm on the dot, you could hear the bed frame in the room directly above my bedroom, hit the wall. Bang. "Oh" Bang. "Yes" Bang. "Oooo" Bang "Thats it".

Then that stopped, and the hammering of nails started taking its place. Poor guy.

Now my current place is not to bad. 4 unit building, the two in the middle are 2 stories tall with living downstairs and bedrooms upstairs. This is nice because I can go to bed and have no one below me and only have people occupying a room on one side, the other sides are outside walls.

Down in the living area though the walls are thin, and on the side that just has the single floor flats, I can hear my neighbor snoring away in my kitchen, and on the otherside, I think Godzilla followed me and moved in there. You can hear him go up and down the stairs, bang his closet doors, do who knows what in the bathroom. When he leaves, the lady that lives there with him stays home, and she is pretty quiet, but when he gets home they are both slamming things around or yelling at each other.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One persons (parent) idea of a child playing in an apartment can definitely be different than another persons (non-parent and OLDER) idea! Little kids running back and forth and jumping on the floor= shaking/rattling hanging pictures or displayed dishes on the walls of the lower apartment.......now THAT is just too much! If the tenant who is getting all the noise lets the tenant that is making the noise know how much the noise is disturbing them, the "noisy" tenant needs to be more considerate and lower the noise level. As stated hundred's of times in the Renting Forum.......apartments are NOT houses!
Please don't get me wrong, kids should be allowed to play in an apartment, but, at the same time, there ARE other people living around you!
We are now living in a "bungaloo" type apartment (absolutely no one above us) and we love it! Heck, we don't even hear our neighbors that live next to us on two sides of our apartment.
Living in an apartment does not make the Laws different. If a small child was making your apartment shake then theres a problem with the Building itself and not the child. A small child can only make so much noise, so dont give me that reason. How about consideration for the fact that that child is still growing and developing. You as an Adult, and a Tenant at one point, was required, BY LAW, to put up with it!!!If you lived under me and kept complaining about my my kids making normal apartment noise that are not excessive, Sorry to say but I would have called the police on you. I respect my neighbors but I will not make my kids miserable because it bothers my neighbors that they running and playing in their home. My kids come FIRST!! I am making sure they do not grow up to be Freaks by constantly suppressing them, you can forget that. These Laws are in place because of that. I dont care about your "Peace and Quiet" if its going to make my kids unhappy and miserable, thats all there is to it. When we are all dead and gone it will be the children that are left, it is our responsibility, as adults, that they develop mentally, phsically and emotionally. This world is going to be theirs when we are all gone. Dont be the cause of their Unhappiness. Stop crying about "The Noise" children make. As long as its not excessive and not non-stop, be an Adult and deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating
Then, a lady moved into the apartment right above us.....with a 18 month old. This child loves to run across the floor (sometimes falling), loves to look out the kitchen window and kick the wall under the window and sits in a small chair and stomp her feet on the floor!!
LoveBoating, you were complaining because an 18 month old was kicking the wall, and who just barely learned to walk and is trying to practice. Come on now thats just being a Busy body and a trouble maker. Im glad you moved out and are no longer bothering and harassing that family, with your incessant complaining.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:10 PM

To be completely honest with you lady, I can see now that it's not your childrens noise that would bug people living around you......it is YOU scaring the "H" out of us older people!! Right now, by the way you are posting, you have got a real "hatred" going on against people and that can get you into trouble as well......legal trouble! Please do remember, other people living around you have LEGAL RIGHTS as well as you do!
And, by the way, YOU tell us to "accept the noise or move" and we all tell you to get a bottom apartment........how's that!!?? We had a toddler living in an apartment next to us and we never once heard anything!
Yes, I wish there were still "Adult Complexes"! Not everyone wants to live around small children. And, quit yelling the word "discrimination"! It's not discrimination, it's CONSIDERATION!!
Good luck and we hope when you get into your 60's plus you have small kids living above you "thumping" all over and shaking your ceiling, dishes and pictures!

Quote:
Living in an apartment does not make the Laws different. If a small child was making your apartment shake then theres a problem with the Building itself and not the child. A small child can only make so much noise, so dont give me that reason. How about consideration for the fact that that child is still growing and developing. You as an Adult, and a Tenant at one point, was required, BY LAW, to put up with it!!!If you lived under me and kept complaining about my my kids making normal apartment noise that are not excessive, Sorry to say but I would have called the police on you. I respect my neighbors but I will not make my kids miserable because it bothers my neighbors that they running and playing in their home. My kids come FIRST!! I am making sure they do not grow up to be Freaks by constantly suppressing them, you can forget that. These Laws are in place because of that. I dont care about your "Peace and Quiet" if its going to make my kids unhappy and miserable, thats all there is to it. When we are all dead and gone it will be the children that are left, it is our responsibility, as adults, that they develop mentally, phsically and emotionally. This world is going to be theirs when we are all gone. Dont be the cause of their Unhappiness. Stop crying about "The Noise" children make. As long as its not excessive and not non-stop, be an Adult and deal with it.

LoveBoating, you were complaining because an 18 month old was kicking the wall, and who just barely learned to walk and is trying to practice. Come on now thats just being a Busy body and a trouble maker. Im glad you moved out and are no longer bothering and harassing that family, with your incessant complaining.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:47 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,875,311 times
It isn't necessarly renters. It's people in general. People don't respect other people anymore. It is sad.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM

How how so, so TRUE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
It isn't necessarly renters. It's people in general. People don't respect other people anymore. It is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting