Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times

Advertisements

How about when you live in a Complex that has a nice pool and BBQ area and the sign on the gate entering says, "Residents Only, No Glass Bottles, No Pool Toys" AND:
There are residents and their friends in the pool area (every parking space by the pool is taken and residents who live next to the pool area have to find somewhere else to park)
People in the pool/BBQ area have glass bottles
Kids have pool toys in the pool
Why is this sign on the gate in the first place??? Many people just DON'T CARE about what signs say.....period!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
^^^ How about when I lived at home we would come home to find strangers swimming in our PRIVATE HOME pool! I have cleaned pools and YECHT. I dont want some strangers urine, snot and hair balls in my pool! I would call a tow truck just to be a pain with that pool issue you have there. Tow truck guy wont mind. Lots of cash for him!
Stimulate the economy!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:53 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,961,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
^^^ How about when I lived at home we would come home to find strangers swimming in our PRIVATE HOME pool! I have cleaned pools and YECHT. I dont want some strangers urine, snot and hair balls in my pool! I would call a tow truck just to be a pain with that pool issue you have there. Tow truck guy wont mind. Lots of cash for him!
Stimulate the economy!
Once YEARS ago my drunken then-boyfriend and his buddy crashed my neighbor's pool

Broke their fence too.

That was a bad relationship.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:29 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
We have a police officer that lives in our complex and I was told by the Manager here that him and the Manager were discussing patroling (driving by) our pool area this summer during the late-night hours. The Manager told me that this Officer found a couple of young guys sitting by the pool at midnight a few nights ago. The Officer walked into the pool area and told these guys that they had better find an apartment to go to fast, that the pool area was definitely closed at midnight. Only thing is, Management don't lock the gates to the pool area.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:20 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
I have lived in several apartments and had noise problems in three. The first two were in NYC and both times it was guys who defied the law on placing carpet on the floor. Both went beserk each time I tried diplomacy. I eventually moved.

The third was just a few months ago and was a women who hammered nails at all hours of the day and night. The manager would do nothing and she simply scowled when I showed her my 2 month old who needed to sleep.

We moved and bought a house.

The lessons learned is that you have to be on the top floor and even that is no guarantee. The other is that a good many people are just no damn good. I really was not ready for home ownership, but perhaps I should thank the...woman.

I also cannot envision ever owning a condo unless I have the funds to immediatly soundproof it.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,306 times
There is some level of noise to be expected in apartments. Really it just sounds like you are in the wrong complex. I lived in one complex that was mostly one bedrooms and efficiencies with a hand full of two bedrooms. I lived there for several years and over the course of time it went from there being a a few kids to none. I even asked before we signed the lease if there were a lot of kids simply because at the time my husband worked nights and usually had to be at work early in the morning.

My curent complex is huge, and has many two and three bedroom unit, however all the one bedrooms are together and so on.

I can understand your frustration.

Even without kids around there can still be noisy neighbors. The young couple next to me likes to sit out on their porch all night and either talk on the phone or party. Problem is there porch is next to my bedroom window. They were out there being loud until almost 5am one morning. I reported them to the office. I had a former neighbor above me who stomped 24/7. I don't think he knew how to walk normal. I always knew what room he was in because he walked so heavily.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,127,517 times
I live in a small apartment complex. West of us is another complex. Young men would turn their car stereos on with their sub-wooers and bass carrying for blocks. I had to get sleep, but couldn't. I dialed 411 and talked to the dispatcher, who said they'd send a policeman. The music stopped temporarily, but started up the next weekend. I called the police again, asking them if they could give these people some kind of "incentive" to stop making this loud noise. They said, yes, they could...and did.

That was part of our problem, but at least we got that settled. I'm hoping it doesn't start up again, this summer. My concern is that new people have moved in and others have moved out. The new crop may not have gotten the message.

My other problem was dogs. It seems dog owners are not bothered by this continuous barking. All they think is how cute they are (sigh). Our landlord has weeded out most of the dogs, lately, so things are approaching 'normal'.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:34 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,184 times
as i was comming across this thread I'm listening to my neighbor up above me walking as loud as he can,it sounds like he pounds on the floor with every step walking on his heels and he usually does this around 2-3 o clock in the morning, and for some reason he walks around alot,this guy is annoying me and needs to take a seat and take a load off.

I can also hear some people outside my window nearby talking and cars pulling up and leaving every so often.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:01 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
lOVEBOATING,
When I was a child,my grandmother lived in a 3 family house, on the 3rd floor,
I knew well that I had to walk softly while visiting there.That it was totally unacceptable to disturb the people below.It was that way at home,too.No outside early,making noise.Caring about one's neighbors was of great value.

When I was a kid, my grandparents also lived in an apt (2nd floor) and me and my sisters knew the rules. No running, no hard soled shoes, no playing loudly on the floor, keep the tv at a reasonable level etc. This wasn't to ruin our fun but out of respect for the folks living downstairs. If we wanted to go get our ya ya's out, we would go to the park/playground or something. I am not sure what is so hard about the concept of making house rules for you and your kids (general you, not speaking to anyone in particular) regarding noise. Certainly I was not any smarter or better able to control myself than today's kids and I could handle it. It is plain rude to allow kids or anyone else for that matter to make as much noise as you want when living in an apt. Isn't everyone paying rent and entitled to relaxing place to rest after work or school?

I had a horrible time with an upstairs neighbor that would play Lynard Skynard (spelling?) so loudly I could sing along, would allow her kid and another one to play catch in the living room (hint: 2 year olds cannot reliably catch a ball), would run the vacuum at unreasonable times (before 8am), move furniture late at night, and be awful when we would ask nicely to please be a little more quiet. To give you an example of how much can be heard between apt's in my building, I can hear all bathroom noise so anything that is slightly loud is booming in my downstairs apt. I was happy when this person and her family moved. There was no amount of reasoning to be done with her. The husband was more reasonable but I think he was scared of her.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
I've lived in apartment complexes in 3 states over 30 years so I'm a veteran apartment dweller.

People with small children and dogs should be encouraged to live on the ground floor. I'm sure Fi-fi is all sweetness and light and like a member of the family but when you're at work, Fi-Fi works out and practices for Step It Up and Dance for Dogs. This mostly consists of running around like a lunatic from room to room and jumping off furniture, things she wouldn't dream of doing when her beloved pet owner is at home.

When I first moved here, there was constant crashing above me. I think they wrestled, danced or exercised and they had a toddler and a dog that jumped off of chairs and ran around the apartment when they weren't home during the day. It was like living below the Flying Wallendas Circus Act. They never talked loud or played loud music or played their TV loud. They didn't even clomp around in shoes. They both worked and apparently all went to bed at 10:00P because after that time it was totally quiet. I'm sure the people who lived next door to them thought they were wonderful. When I went upstairs and told them to cut it out, I found a nice working couple in their 40's who apologized profusely and said they were not used to living in an apartment complex. Since they had no one living above them and hadn't lived in an apartment complex, they had no idea what they sounded like to people living below them.

I once lived in a big apartment complex on a golf course. All of the apartments were ground level and the place was well insulated. I never heard my neighbors and the two bedroom apartments were only on the ends of the unit so you didn't have kids living next to you unless you lived next to one of those two bedrooms. Only one problem --- crickets late in the summer. Used to drive me crazy. The apartments were built on a cement slab and they used to get inside every August. But that was otherwise a real quiet complex because you were quite a bit away from the main road and couldn't hear your neighbors.

The next apartment complex I moved into in another state was on the road the fire trucks came down to go to fires, from the firehouse. It took me a couple of months to get used to that but I did. After awhile you don't hear them.

I had an airline stewardess living above me in that state. She used to throw a party every other Friday night but wasn't home the whole rest of the week. Her music was so loud that I could tape it in my apartment. Aparently, she didn't care about the neighbors since she was never home. I told her I was going to tape it in my apartment and call the police. She moved out in less than 6 months so I suspect she was living temporarily in someone else's apartment and either she got the heave-ho for being an illegal sublet or the real tenant's lease finally ended.

But the worst neighbor, by far, was a man who once lived below me in another state who used to beat his wife and kid. He'd call her every name in the book and then you would hear them screaming like they were being tortured. I only saw them when they moved out. The adults both looked like middle aged pasty drunks but apparently, one or both managed to hold down good-paying jobs. I paid a lot of rent for that apartment in a well-to-do neighborhood which goes to show you that being noisy isn't just a poor man's affliction and stupidity (the wife) isn't either. I suspect had they lived in a house, he would have beat the wife and kid there, too.

I've lived in apartments for 30 years so all in all I've had it pretty good as far as neighbors go. The above isn't much in that length of time. I choose not to live in a retirement complex and as a single person, now retired, prefer to be expense and hassle free with home repairs and upkeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.