U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 AM

215 posts, read 1,166,627 times

Advertisements

I've heard that some places wont rent to anyone who's ever been evicted.

I dont mean to sound rude, or to sound like an a**, or to come across as trolling, or mean, or harsh, but, this needs to be asked:

does that mean if you've ever been evicted that your as good as homeless? what do you expect these people to do? even murderers get out of jail at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 PM

14,220 posts, read 26,502,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjbor View Post
I've heard that some places wont rent to anyone who's ever been evicted.

I dont mean to sound rude, or to sound like an a**, or to come across as trolling, or mean, or harsh, but, this needs to be asked:

does that mean if you've ever been evicted that your as good as homeless? what do you expect these people to do? even murderers get out of jail at some point.
Yes... many owners have a strict policy against renting to anyone with a unlawful detainer against them... the basic reasoning is... you did it once so the chances are greater for a repeat. Evictions cost owners money and time.

The way the system works, as a Tenant, you have many opportunities to take care of a situation before the owner files an Unlawful Detainer action against you.

The Eviction Notice (or three-day notice) is a three-day notice that the landlord serves on the tenant when the tenant has violated the lease or rental agreement. The three-day notice usually instructs the tenant to either leave the rental unit or comply with the lease or rental agreement (for example, by paying past-due rent) within the three-day period.

Think about it... once the 3 day Notice is served... why would you not comply?

Of course, not all owners check for evictions and/or credit.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:09 PM

8,273 posts, read 17,261,822 times
What do you mean 3 Days...I thought it was 30 days!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:25 PM

Default 3 day and 30 day Notices are Two Different Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
What do you mean 3 Days...I thought it was 30 days!!!
30 day notice - a written notice from a landlord to a tenant telling the tenant that the tenancy will end in 30 days. A thirty-day notice usually does not have to state the landlord's reason for ending the tenancy.

Note some areas have changed this requirement to 60 days and in my City the owner must also prove "Just Cause" in order to terminate a tenancy... special rules may also apply for the disabled and elderly...

3 day notice is the last step prior to filing an Eviction Case... it puts the Tenant on 3 day Notice to either move or correct the item in question... most often unpaid rent...

Old 05-23-2008, 06:18 PM

215 posts, read 1,166,627 times
I know an eviction is a mistake, but what I'm saying is that even someone who murders someone can eventually get out of jail and finish his sentance. A murderer can stop "paying" for his crime before someone who's been evicted.

that does not seem right to me

Old 05-23-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjbor View Post
I know an eviction is a mistake, but what I'm saying is that even someone who murders someone can eventually get out of jail and finish his sentance. A murderer can stop "paying" for his crime before someone who's been evicted.

that does not seem right to me
Court Records have limits and an Eviction won't stay on the record forever...

There are other options...

The rental could be through a spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend or some owners will accept a co-signer or co-Tenant...

I did have one good experience with a person that had an eviction on her record and she mentioned it before even asking for a Rental Application...

In her case... it was the result of a Divorce and Spousal abuse and her ex refused to leave the apartment where she was also a named Tenant... He basically didn't care what happened and just wanted to screw things up for her...

I do see your point... and maybe if an owner had lots of vacant units... the Landlord might be more open to take a chance...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:55 AM

8,424 posts, read 24,507,609 times
You mean the system is made to keep people in thier place?
Imagine that!

The craptastic LL I took a chance on just checked to see if you were working. Was I homeless...no...But I almost wished I was.
At this new place I almost didnt get it because of a back due gas bill thats under 200$.
(Even though I had over a dozen positive/current accounts)

You have to be a pretty big screw-up to get evicted. I dont like living next to screw ups. When you get out of jail you get to be in a halfway house usually. Its not suppose to be easy. Otherwise it wouldnt be punishment. If people could just get away with whatever they would be so self focused and the cause of even more problems.

Just a funny thing right now...Old place door noise...There was a random cat scratching at my door or peeing in the hall of the building or the guy next door bouncing his b-ball off the floor as he came in...And whats that..scratch scratch scratch (at the new place door) oh yeh...The weekly door polishing. LOL

Hell is one of the oldest motivators to improve yourself.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:04 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,879,999 times
I know an eviction is a mistake

An eviction is rarely a mistake. You don't "accidently" not pay your rent. You also don't "accidently" not leave when served with a 3 day notice to pay or quit.

Victim mentality again.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 619,991 times
I'm not sure that I would take on a past-evicted tenant. Too much risk. I guess it would depend upon the circumstances of the eviction. At the least I would up the security deposit. If they turned out to be good tenants, it would be a win-win as they would get their second chance to clear their name and I would have a good tenant. But it's fairly risky for me.....

Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM

15,378 posts, read 23,327,929 times
as far as I have seen [some....LOTS of experience with step-son being evicted from every place he's ever lived....including our house.] All it requires is a larger security deposit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting