Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:52 AM

542 posts, read 1,922,310 times

Advertisements

Okay I am new to this rental thing. I am moving out of state so I needed to rent my home out. I found a property manager through word of mouth. I understand that the property managers job is to handle issues so I don't worry. However, I worry because I'm not informed of things and I feel like I'm out of the loop.

Here is what's been going on:
She got the property rented very quickly it only took about a week. I was very greatful for that. Then the fun began... 1st I still haven't received my deposit!!! She told me they were getting assistance from the Dept. of Human Services and usually it takes about a week for the money to come in. This was roughly 3 weeks ago!!! I still haven't received it, although SHE has been paid for her services!!! Then I go over to the property to check on some work I paid a contractor (she recommended him) to do. When i get there I realize they have a dog!!! I immediately call her, she says she was unaware and it was in the lease that it was no pets unless they got permission. I told her there needed to be a non refundable pet deposit. She said she'd talk to them. That was 2 weeks ago!!! Haven't gotten that money either. Add in the fact that I just got a copy of their lease 4 days ago after practically harassing her. Each time I asked for it she'd say she mailed it!! I finally had to drive and meet her somewhere to get a copy. According to their lease the rent is due on the 3rd. I am going to wait until the end of the business day on the 3rd and if I haven't heard from her I think I have to find someone else to manage my property for me. I haven't heard from her on ANY of the above issues so who the hell knows if anything is handled. I know I am supposed to let her handle things but... it doesn't seem like she is to me. She very well could be, but since nothing is being communicated to me I have no idea!! I am moving across the country in a month. I really don't want to be there worrying about my property.

Any suggestions ????

Last edited by movingon2vegas; 06-02-2008 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 PM

22,168 posts, read 29,135,431 times
Does she work for a company you can call and speak to her manager about her and the problems you are having?? How about you contacting the tenants directly and getting the information/money you need?? THEN firing her and getting a new PM.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
If you're not comfortable with her now when you're still in state, you certainly won't be comfortable once you're out of the state. She sounds sketchy and disorganized at best to me. I'd giver her the heave ho ASAP.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 PM

601 posts, read 1,898,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Okay I am new to this rental thing. I am moving out of state so I needed to rent my home out. I found a property manager through word of mouth. I understand that the property managers job is to handle issues so I don't worry. However, I worry because I'm not informed of things and I feel like I'm out of the loop.

Here is what's been going on:
She got the property rented very quickly it only took about a week. I was very greatful for that. Then the fun began... 1st I still haven't received my deposit!!! She told me they were getting assistance from the Dept. of Human Services and usually it takes about a week for the money to come in. This was roughly 3 weeks ago!!! I still haven't received it, although SHE has been paid for her services!!! Then I go over to the property to check on some work I paid a contractor (she recommended him) to do. When i get there I realize they have a dog!!! I immediately call her, she says she was unaware and it was in the lease that it was no pets unless they got permission. I told her there needed to be a non refundable pet deposit. She said she'd talk to them. That was 2 weeks ago!!! Haven't gotten that money either. Add in the fact that I just got a copy of their lease 4 days ago after practically harassing her. Each time I asked for it she'd say she mailed it!! I finally had to drive and meet her somewhere to get a copy. According to their lease the rent is due on the 3rd. I am going to wait until the end of the business day on the 3rd and if I haven't heard from her I think I have to find someone else to manage my property for me. I haven't heard from her on ANY of the above issues so who the hell knows if anything is handled. I know I am supposed to let her handle things but... it doesn't seem like she is to me. She very well could be, but since nothing is being communicated to me I have no idea!! I am moving across the country in a month. I really don't want to be there worrying about my property.

Any suggestions ????
we also fired our manager-----

we set up a bank account at Bank of america for the tenant to deposit their rent. You can call and check by phone the time and day deposit was made. We have a maint. man who for a small monthly salary has agreed to take care of any evictions, showings etc. that may pop up and he will mow once a month ( we don't have alot of grass) 5 townhomes. (each tenant has their own account for their unit. If there are repairs to be made we pay him $10.00/hour. This has worked for us. Do you know of any handy guy (retired person) who might help you out???? P.S. as soon as the market stops it's nose dive we do plan to sell- owner finance--but we are in no hurry at this point. Good luck

Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Quote:
However, I worry because I'm not informed of things and I feel like I'm out of the loop.
Sounds like you and the property manager didn't fully come to a mutual understanding on what the level of communication would be and who is managing the property.

I've been managing properties for others almost 20 years. I won't allow the level of involvement you want, but I'm also very competent and make sure my owners know how I operate from the outset. Many owners I pass on to other managers because I don't want to be pestered or bothered and I don't allow owners to get involved in the management, as you have.

I would suggest scheduling a meeting with the property manager in her office. Sit down, hit the reset button on the entire relationship, and decide if you two want to work with each other or not. She may have eveything under control and you're worrying needlessly. Or she may be a flake and you're better off getting rid of her now. A face to face conversation will help you determine that.

If you end up hiring someone else, look for a NARPM member (NARPM : National Association of Residential Property Managers) and make sure you know up front the level of involvement they will allow you. You sound like a bit of a worrywart (maybe justified, but it can create more trouble than you avoid) and the PM sounds like she didn't have a good, up front orientation/screening process in accepting you as an owner.

Good luck.

Steve

Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,807,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

If you end up hiring someone else, look for a NARPM member (NARPM : National Association of Residential Property Managers) and make sure you know up front the level of involvement they will allow you. You sound like a bit of a worrywart (maybe justified, but it can create more trouble than you avoid) and the PM sounds like she didn't have a good, up front orientation/screening process in accepting you as an owner. Good luck. Steve
Thanks for the link, Steve. I too, an ready to replace my PM. I'm a thousand miles away, and must rely on her completely. It is impossible to get any communication from her, she is an unorganized, air head. Even when the last renter gave notice. She seems to be afraid to talk to me.
I called her to find out what happened to my money, which was 23 days late at that time. I was informed renter hadn't paid his rent for the month. Wouldn't you notify owner if rent was 23 days late? She didn't until I called.
I finally asker her if the renter had given notice. "No, not really, but he gave me a heads up" She called the next day to tell me that she looked through her in-basket and "I guess he did give notice...!" I don't want any involvement at all. I would be happy to receive a check on time every month. If it weren't for the man I have making improvements on the property, I wouldn't know anything at all. I told him the other day, he should go into the PM business.
I usually have to call her about my money by the 20th, money that was due on the first. She doesn't do on line banking, so I get my money when she drives to the nearest town that has a branch of my bank.
I am a great owner. I've spent over $50K remodeling and updating the home in the last year and a half. Things I didn't have to do, but it benefits the renter, and ultimately me. All I ask in return is a PM who will show as much interest in the place as I do.
Didn't mean to carry on, but unloading here saves me from beating my wife.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:29 AM

Okay... it's been a month. No sign of the PM, no phone calls, No deposit, no rent, NOTHING!!! I called her from my cell twice yesterday no answer and no return call. I called her from my work phone this morning she answers and when she realizes it's me she says "I'm showing a house can I call you right back". We shall see if/when that happens. At this point... isn't the contract null & void?? I'm wondering what the *&^% I paid her to do?? Screw me over?? lol Yeah... that's what it looks like.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 AM

Okay... spoke with her and... yeah I may have jumped the gun a bit!! lol YES I am a bit of a worry wart!! lol

Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Okay... renters signed a lease saying they didn't have any dogs. It also stated they had to get permission to have dogs PLUS give pet deposit. It was bought to my attention they had dogs (not by PM). I told the PM they had to give a deposit. She supposedly spoke with them and they were going to keep the dogs somewhere else until they paid the deposit. I have gotten calls for a little bit of everything maintenance related ... however no calls regarding any money for me!! lol My maintenance guy goes over to fix something and is greeted by 2... not 1 but TWO dogs!!!! Not just any dogs but TWO PITBULLS!!!! This is AFTER they were supposed to NOT have dogs!! When I mentioned this to my PM she said... oh yeah she saw them when she went to look at the trees which were down in the backyard!!

I don't think I'm cut out to be a landlord!! lol

Old 06-09-2008, 03:53 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Quote:
My maintenance guy goes over to fix something
Why is your maintenance guy going over to fix something? I would never allow that. There can only be one property manager. Either me or the owner. It's not a team effort.

If I discovered a tenant with Pit Bulls, the violation notice would be delivered the same day. Pit Bulls are disallowed by most insurance companies now, so you better check on that.

Sounds like both you and your property manager are not cut out to be landlords, and you've somehow attracted yourselves to each other, which is an interesting irony. Or as we say in the business, "you deserve each other".

My advice is to find a competent reliable property manager and then remain 100% univolved in the management of the property. If you can't find a property manager who you can trust, and you don't want to manage it yourself, sell the property.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting