U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 AM

31 posts, read 124,048 times

Advertisements

I love to read leases. So here is my question, in a new lease, I see "Tenant will not place any heavy articles in property, including water beds, aquariums, safes, pianos, or wood stoves."

Heavy is rather subjective, but these objects are specific. I have none of these pieces of property, but I might have other things that I consider "heavy." For example, sleeper sofas can be heavy. It seems that each of these objects is upwards of 400 lbs. Is that what others would consider "heavy"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 AM

20,497 posts, read 16,833,901 times
I might understand if a person was to put these things on a 2nd floor, but at ground level and on a firm foundation, come on!!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,228,576 times
I have read before that waterbeds can weigh upwards of 1600 pounds when they're all filled with water! That's probably a big deal... a sofa bed? That's just normal furniture.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Default Heavy or dangerous in some other way...

Well, I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out if it's because they're heavy or because of other concerns. For example, a water bed and aquarium could result in water damage. There is no way a small aquarium is an issue of "heavy." A wood stove might increase fire risk. A piano.....noise issues? A safe...again, there could be a very small safe that poses no weight concern whatsoever. However, it might increase risk of theft? (Which should be a concern to me more than landlord).
As I said, a rhetorical discussion mostly, but I am curious why those specific objects are listed.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 AM

4,037 posts, read 5,448,900 times
Unless the place is really rickety or otherwise substandard (is it an apt building form the 1960s???), the landlord probably does not want to be left with any heavy "white elephant" type objects if you move and don't take them with you, i.e. do you know what it costs to move a piano??

Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Hollytree: Good point!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 PM

896 posts, read 3,079,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htillberg View Post
I love to read leases. So here is my question, in a new lease, I see "Tenant will not place any heavy articles in property, including water beds, aquariums, safes, pianos, or wood stoves."

Heavy is rather subjective, but these objects are specific. I have none of these pieces of property, but I might have other things that I consider "heavy." For example, sleeper sofas can be heavy. It seems that each of these objects is upwards of 400 lbs. Is that what others would consider "heavy"?
This is in our lease also. We have a 125 gallon fish tank and we had it crated and moved to our rental home and stored in a section of the garage. We also had a piano and had to sell it because there wasn't room in the garage for that also. I thought it was ridiculous that we weren't allowed to move our piano.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:02 PM

14,199 posts, read 26,359,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I thought it was ridiculous that we weren't allowed to move our piano.
Probably... so what convinced you to sign the lease?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-09-2008 at 12:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM

455 posts, read 981,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Unless the place is really rickety or otherwise substandard (is it an apt building form the 1960s???), the landlord probably does not want to be left with any heavy "white elephant" type objects if you move and don't take them with you, i.e. do you know what it costs to move a piano??
That's what a chainsaw is for!

But seriously, it does suck. I've been stuck with the aquarium situation before, and the big concern is more that it will leak or break and cause $$$$ of damage, especially on a 2nd floor or higher apartment. The weight issue isn't as big of a deal as it's made out to be, but water is heavy, at approximately 8.5lbs per gallon.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:30 PM

896 posts, read 3,079,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Probably... so what convinced you to sign the lease?
First - I didn't sign the lease -- my husband did (which is another can of worms). He was living out here and I was across the country. Second, you've read my other posts--leaving my piano has been the least of my issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting