Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,597,197 times

Advertisements

Hey Friends,
First of all let me tell you about myself as a renter: I am 21 (almost 22), I am very mature for my age. I manage my money pretty good and pay my rent on time every month. My landlord raves to me every time she talks to me about how good of a tenant I am and how I am an asset to the building. That aside on our lease agreement it states I cannot have any pets. I have been a year now (my year lease is now month to month) and my neighbor beside me (moved in a month before me) has a cat (moved in with it). Recently I have been looking at cats and decided it was time that I may want to get one. I called my landlord today and asked her if I could get one. She said typically she dosnt allow pets.. When I questioned her about my neighbors cat she said "Oh yes I know dear, I will let you have a cat but I will need to start charging you an extra $10 a month." And before I could even state the fact that my neighbor dosnt have to pay the extra per month she says "And I know ________ dosnt have to pay the monthly fee but we know how she is with her finances and she cant possibly afford extra per month. I was really upset about this and told her That I didnt feel it was fair. She told me she had to go because she was the "resort" on a "holiday" with her bridge club friends. Bottom line the lady is really nice and I love this apartment but I feel like I am being treated unfairly and that she is being biased because I pay my rent on time and make decent money. By the way I dont mind paying the extra and i feel it it pretty fair of a price but I dont think its right she dosnt have to pay it and i do. Sorry for the long post please respond your feelings on this. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
I once lived in an apartment that was strictly no pets, which saddened my since I'm such a huge animal lover and was hoping to replace my dog w/ another pet. well, I soon discovered that the upstairs neighbor had a cat so I asked the landlord about it, but the LL didn't want me to get into other tenants business (basically said that was an arrangement he made between him and that tenant). I was still PO so I asked the tenant herself. turns out she has special permission to own a cat due to her disability.

little story aside, you could ask the tenant what sort of deal she has w/ the LL that she doesn't have to pay, but why snoop into someone else's business? maybe that tenant was somehow grandfathered in, or maybe the LL made an adjustment on her lease. IDK, if it was me, I'd just pay the $10 and be grateful the LL was willing to change the policy and not tack on a multi-hundred dollar pet deposit (this coming from someone who had to pay 20% more in rent a month for my dog b/c MA prohibits pet deposits). it sucks, but the LL could also just stick to the lease and say no pets

Old 06-24-2008, 12:58 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,989,250 times
I let my tennants raise pit bulls and don't charge anything extra.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,807,685 times
If you decide to get the cat and pay the 10 bucks, I would make sure to get the agreement in writing before visiting the shelter, or she might have another surprise for you.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
Teebyrd86: You should feel fortunate that your LL is even willing to adjust the "no pet" clause for you and, as Donn2390 advised, you should get a signed lease amendment before proceeding. There may be many reasons why your LL isn't charging the other tenant an additional fee but that's really nothing to do with you and I wouldn't make a big fuss about it.

That said, remember that an animal companion is with you for life (15-20 years) and isn't a disposable item. If you're on month to month now then maybe you're not planning on staying in this apartment for too much longer? In any case, who knows what might happen in the next few years and many landlords these days don't allow pets period - something you should really think about.

People who for one reason or another can't have pets are always encouraged to offer their services at animal shelters and that might be an option for you. Cheers and good luck!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,597,197 times
Thanks for your comment. I am planning on staying in this apartment for at least 4 more years or longer until I am financialy able to buy a home. I moved alone with my company to a new city a year ago this month (no family here) and I feel a pet would be good for me, it would keep me busy. Again I am very mature for my age and I know the responsibility that comes with any animal. And I am aware the pet will be with me for many years. I grew up with all kinds of animals. I am an animal lover.Also Many apartments around here; both complexes and individually owned like the one I live in are pet friendly. I feel it is nice of her to allow me to have one too but still dosnt seem fair to me. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. Thanks again for all the good advice everyone. Have a good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Teebyrd86: You should feel fortunate that your LL is even willing to adjust the "no pet" clause for you and, as Donn2390 advised, you should get a signed lease amendment before proceeding. There may be many reasons why your LL isn't charging the other tenant an additional fee but that's really nothing to do with you and I wouldn't make a big fuss about it.

That said, remember that an animal companion is with you for life (15-20 years) and isn't a disposable item. If you're on month to month now then maybe you're not planning on staying in this apartment for too much longer? In any case, who knows what might happen in the next few years and many landlords these days don't allow pets period - something you should really think about.

People who for one reason or another can't have pets are always encouraged to offer their services at animal shelters and that might be an option for you. Cheers and good luck!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,162,521 times
If she came with it the LL probably already figured it into the rent and is making it seem like a deal. You really shouldnt talk about how much you pay for rent etc with other renters. Its considered tacky and can cause problems within a building. If people ask you things like that its best to say " I prefer to keep my personal financial details private"

I agree to get the pet clause in writing before you even pick one out.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:44 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,048,141 times
The solution is to get the cat, then pretend you lost your job and have to go on unemployment.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:56 PM

215 posts, read 1,657,844 times
There might be something more to the story, but if not, then this LL does not sound like a good person at all. Your right, its very unfair, but my view is that life sucks so you just have to deal with it.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 PM

67 posts, read 200,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Hey Friends,
First of all let me tell you about myself as a renter: I am 21 (almost 22), I am very mature for my age. I manage my money pretty good and pay my rent on time every month. My landlord raves to me every time she talks to me about how good of a tenant I am and how I am an asset to the building. That aside on our lease agreement it states I cannot have any pets. I have been a year now (my year lease is now month to month) and my neighbor beside me (moved in a month before me) has a cat (moved in with it). Recently I have been looking at cats and decided it was time that I may want to get one. I called my landlord today and asked her if I could get one. She said typically she dosnt allow pets.. When I questioned her about my neighbors cat she said "Oh yes I know dear, I will let you have a cat but I will need to start charging you an extra $10 a month." And before I could even state the fact that my neighbor dosnt have to pay the extra per month she says "And I know ________ dosnt have to pay the monthly fee but we know how she is with her finances and she cant possibly afford extra per month. I was really upset about this and told her That I didnt feel it was fair. She told me she had to go because she was the "resort" on a "holiday" with her bridge club friends. Bottom line the lady is really nice and I love this apartment but I feel like I am being treated unfairly and that she is being biased because I pay my rent on time and make decent money. By the way I dont mind paying the extra and i feel it it pretty fair of a price but I dont think its right she dosnt have to pay it and i do. Sorry for the long post please respond your feelings on this. Thanks so much!
She is treating you unfairly. She sounds like she is full of sh----t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting