Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 39,828 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I am living at Summer Meadows apartment complex, Riverside. Recently, I am having a problem with excessive noise caused by an AC unit right outside of my bedroom wall. There are total three AC units placed outside my apartment wall. Two of them (one is running for my apartment) are right outside the kitchen wall. The third one which is running for an apartment upstairs is outside my bedroom wall. I talked to the property manager about the problem. I told her that whenever the AC unit is running, it makes the noise which can be heard clearly inside the bedroom. Since I have not been sleeping well lately, I felt tired during daytime most of the time; and this affected my study routine and performance. She said she would send someone to take a look at the AC unit. When I came the next day, she said that there was nothing wrong with the AC unit, and thus she could not do anything about the noise. I told her that I understood that the AC unit would make noise when it was running. However, my problem was that I could hear the noise it made from my bedroom. I would not care how loud the AC unit was running as long as I did not hear the noise in the bedroom. The two AC units outside my kitchen wall (when they were running at the same time) made much louder noise than the one outside the bedroom wall. Yet, when I was standing in the kitchen, I didn’t hear any noise. I asked her to find the solution for the problem such as moving the AC unit further from the wall (it was placed really near to the wall) or investigating the wall (maybe the problem was with the wall). She replied that the AC unit could not be moved because it would violate the law (I don’t know if that is true or not) and that there was nothing wrong with the wall because it was standard built wall.

Can someone please show me the way? I know that I can use earplugs to help me sleeping, but I prefer not to. I mean why I have to bear with this unpleasant living condition when I am paying more than $900 rent fee each month. Is there an authority I can contact to help with this problem? Unfortunately, I signed a 1-year leasing contract two months ago; therefore, I can not move out now or they will fine me a penalty for breaking contract. I appreciate for your replies and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Does the contract discuss the procedure for handling problems such as this? Regarding moving the AC units, you could contact the Building and Safety (or equivalent) Department and ask if it a code requirement for the AC units to be where they are located. Also, realize that moving the AC units is going to cost. Have you considered paying for part of it and using that as a bargaining tool? Ask the property management if there is any way they could construct an enclosure that dampens the noise without interfering with normal operations.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Ah, the joys of apartment life. The manager is probably right in that there's nothing wrong with the unit and the wall is up to code. Its just the luck of the draw that you get more noise. Look luck finding a solution that they'll pay for or that doesn't cost you more than breaking the lease. Probably the best you can do is to run a fan or other white noise source to mask the AC noise and help you sleep better.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:43 PM

301 posts, read 1,510,727 times
I have the same issue at my place. Eight huge air conditioners within 50 feet of my bedroom. And there is a giant concrete wall of a department store that bounces the sound at my window. If they ran consistently it would be tolerable, but they turn on and off all through the day and night.

Earphones didn't work for me because they were too uncomfortable and would fall out. I have a small tabletop fan next to the bed. It drowns out the noise and is calming. For awhile I played CDs of the ocean and rain, and set the disc to loop.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
You would have loved my last apartment before this one.. the laundry room was next door and the upstairs neighbors would have approximately 25,342 kids over every Friday night for a church meeting.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
THE 298th REASON WHY I NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL RENT AN APARTMENT!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:49 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Another suggestion might be to see if you could move to another unit within the building, if they have one available. Is the room large enough that you could move your bed to another spot to lessen the noise at all?

If everything is up to code and nothing can be done with the unit, you'll just have to suffer through the next several months and use the techniques that others have suggested. As a general rule, I always ask the LL to flip on the A/C so that I can hear how loud it will be in the rooms. That's not going to help you this time but it'll make you more aware next time you move.

PS: As a side note, when you look at a place to rent you should always test everything to make sure it works - faucets, appliances, lights, A/C units, etc. There can always be problems after you move in and certainly nobody can spot every defect, but checking things out thoroughly ahead of time might aid in showing you what you might be in for.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:06 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
I hate you are in that situation.

I'm a renter and move alot. When I look at a potential home I investigate the noise level. If there are mechanical things (like a/c units) I pay attention to the noise.

If they were there when you moved in, you basically consented.

But if within the first few days or even weeks (maybe) it was causing you to not have a peacable home...then you could have notified managment and request the situation be rectified, and perhaps move into another unit or move out.

But time is not on your side when it comes to things like this.

If you find you have to live there.... carpet, rugs, tapestries....work wonders for noise absorption.

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 37,845 times
I live in an apartment with 6 noisy goodman A/C compressors outside my apartment. The land lord has told me that any sound abatement would have to be done at my expense. I have 3 choices, try to bate the noise, move to another apartment or move out. All I want is a decent night's sleep.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:58 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Old thread - but I really feel for people in such conditions. I have one building where there are 4 air handlers right outside the bedroom of one apartment. And the laundry room is right next door.

Idiot building designer.

Personally I couldn't live in that unit. But some people aren't bothered by the noise and can sleep through anything. I inform applicants of the situation and wait for the one who isn't bothered. I also have them sign a disclaimer.

There is really nothing else you can do. Expecting the LL to spend thousands to move the units is not realistic. But when you rent or buy anything you MUST check out everything in advance.

Have you tried asking if you can move to another unit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting