Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times

Advertisements

I have had laminate...

But now I have waxed hardwood. Its over 100 years old and I want to keep it in good condition and not dry it out. I have been sweep/damp rag cleaning it. But Is there some sort of cleaning product I can use too and not strip the wax?

I thought about a capful of bleach/gallon water to dip the rag in it for damp rag cleaning...but????

Also there are a couple dry spots where it looks like the wood could use a bit more wax. Or a scrub and a wax. Can you spot wax/buff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:09 PM

94 posts, read 763,123 times
Aaah... We made a serious investment of hardwood flooring last year and I learnt so much about how to care for it from the company that provided it.

Many over the counter "floor waxes" aren't suitable for hardwood or waxed hardwoods, so read the entire label first.

You don't want to use bleach on hardwood. If you're environmentally minded you can put a cup of vinegar in a half bucket of water for regular weekly cleanings or you can use products by Bona. You can find them at Bed Bath & Beyond or Google for Bona Kemi. Mine are washed with vinegar solution weekly and bi-monthly with Bona products. Whatever you do don't let water sit on the floor. There are a few hardwood mops (sponge type) on the market that absorb alot of the water back up. Wet is one thing, but you don't want puddles or any large areas that are so wet they don't dry in 4-5 minutes on your oak, pine, bamboo, etc.

Also, if you're concerned about drying (or warping, cupping, swelling in summer months) make sure you run the AC when it's terribly humid and that you have adequate humidifiers in the winter. I had to add a secondary after having my floors installed last year because many of the boards were starting to spread a bit. The extra humidifier solved it.

Also, don't vacuum it with anything that spins. If you have an upright or a canister vac that has a rotating brush it will scratch and wear down your finish - check for a hardwood/bare floor setting. I use a Dyson (LOVE IT!) and it has that and it's all hunky dory. You'd be better off buying a $40 dirt devil than using a spinning brush.

Hardwood does require sanding and refinishing periodically, but there are many companies now using dustless sanding technologies (really, mine does, it really is) and waterbased/waterborne stains and finishes that dry in a few hours (vs. a few days). Even with high gloss finishes! We opted for a waxed look (handscraped hickory) but the maintenance every few years will keep it looking amazing.

Hope this helped!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:18 PM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Murphy's oil soap is a good wood cleaner. Figure out what the finish is--polyurethane (probably) or oil. Then you can spot sand and refinish. Easy peasy.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:18 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I agree, my mom always cleaned ours with a bit of vinegar in a bucket of water.

As for waxing/buffing, that I don't know, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting