U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:18 AM

222 posts, read 489,989 times
Default Repair Deductible Clause?

Does anyone have a clause in their lease agreement for repairs stating you have to pay the first $75 or thereabouts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:01 AM

2,074 posts, read 7,951,227 times
If it's a habitabilty issue, NO WAY. That's the owner's responsibility. I work FT for a PM Company, and also manage 3 buildings "on the side". I've been in PM for many years and I've never heard of a clause stating you have to pay the first $75+. I'd look for another place to live.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 AM

Thank you!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:03 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,395,878 times
I've never had a clause like that and would never sign a lease stating so.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:07 AM

Apparently it's a girl clause. If he only knew what home improvements I've made to my own house he would be embarrassed. Honestly, if I didn't have pets I'd rent an apartment with resident professionals who pretty much treat everyone the same.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:56 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,820,187 times
Girl clause? What a ... well something I can't say on this board

I am so over getting treated like I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Though it can be fun to really go after them and surprise them with... i don't know the law? ....

Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM

1,668 posts, read 5,124,099 times
When you get a copy of a lease (usually they have to give anyone one who asks), take it to the courthouse and get it reviewed, or get them to recommend a lawyer. I have never seen a lease that was legal. Ever! I have to get current tenants to sign my new lease and explain to them that their's is obsolete. I see things like $5 per day late fee, the law says 5% monthly. Rent increases can only be 12% annual. Every state is different. I can't quote your laws, but a local attorney can. Just because it's on the lease, doesn't make it legal. Rental law is fluid and thorough. Most landlords or tenants really don't know what's legal or not. Most leases are what the landlord wants. That's too bad, the renter has many unadvertised rights.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 11,894 times
How about offering a $50 deductible for repairs if they take a $100/month discount on the monthly rent? This saves the tenant $100/month to keep the house in great shape and save us both money by making minor repairs on their own. Would this hold up legally?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 9,047,738 times
When paying first and last months rent, why do I always hear that "last months" rent can't be used for the last months rent payment?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 PM

267 posts, read 515,659 times
Our leases typically include a clause where the tenant is responsible for the first $50 on repairs. These are single family homes, individually owned, but all managed by the same pm company. We encourage our owners to maintain home warranties, and - guess what? The home warranty charge is $50 per visit. That way, if the tenant has problems, they are set up to go directly to the home warranty company, and schedule at their convenience.

If it's an apartment complex, or large facility that has on-site maintenance, then it would be odd. But, it is common (at least in Phx) to keep the home warranty on the property (especially if there is a pool) and have the tenant responsible for the home warranty service call fee. If they have to come out more than once for the same problem, there is no fee the second time. If the tenant is doing stupid things like flushing diapers down the toilet - it curbs the problem a little quicker. If it's a major repair, and the warranty company notifies us of that, and gives us the breakdown, then we have the owner refund the service call fee back to the tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting