Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Dirty homes don't attract bed bugs.
And they don't hide for six years either! Good luck on a law suit on this one. Unless you can prove the owner came in two years ago and turned loose a bunch of bedbugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:07 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
No but any decent landlord would get you an exterminator. for one, because they're a decent person, and two, because you'll never rent a place out for long with an infestation like that. If the tenant leaves, the bedbugs will stay.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 41,145 times
Houston 3 you are showing your ignorance on the subject of bedbugs and also the responsibilty of the landlord when he rents out rooms/apartments owned by him.
The remaining tenants are terribly afraid of doing anything about the bedbugs(afraid the landlord can throw them out, which is not true)
I suggest you check out warranty of habitability(google it, if you can comprehend that)
Living in Texas is quite different then NY(state executions are very common in Texas)
In NY, we don't believe in that; the law may be in effect but the death penalty is almost never carried out.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
When a unit becomes vacant I always clean and exterminate. Usually the worst thing I need to get rid of is fleas left behind. There are no bedbugs, roaches, ants or fleas when any unit I rent is leased. I state in the lease that extermination services are the responsibility of the tenant. I have not had any tenant balk or get upset becasue I will not pay for extermination. If you bring roaches or fleas, I am not going to pay to get rid of them.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 41,145 times
Default you can't make your own rules if state says otherwise-

don't know where you live, but those laws are usually made by the state; you cannot put in the lease 'tenant is responsible for exterminating bugs, roaches etc", if the state states it is the responsibilty of the landlord.
warranty of habitability check this out thru google-

Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Yes. The landlord may be responsible for exterminating bugs based on the lease and federal and state laws. You may not have much of a leg to stand on if the apartment was vermin-free when you signed the lease. In fact, your lease may include a clause that says you agree that the room/apartment is free of vermin.

If you have bedbugs, they can be very hard to get rid of. As someone mentioned, they are not your landlords fault and they may not be your fault. The chemicals that would definitely exterminate them have been outlawed because they are unsafe to humans, I believe. Even if your landlord sends an exterminator, you may have a very difficult time ever getting rid of bedbugs.

I am sorry that you are having such a negative experience. I believe the best bet would be for you to move out. Why would you want to live with bedbugs, even if it's rent free. Do you just want free rent? I suggest moving ASAP. You may need to get treat or get rid of your bedclothes or clothing to make sure that your new place does not become infested.

Even university dorms and hotels have been having increasign problems with "bedbugs" They are difficult to exterminate and can live in an unoccupied home for a year. This sounds like a no-fault situation to me, and I believe you should move before your health suffers.

If you are having financial difficulty, you can ask if your landlord will voluntarily help with your relocation expenses. It sounds like your no rent plan may do the same thing. While you are not paying rent you can save for a new place.

But pls don't blame your landlord.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 PM

115 posts, read 310,146 times
Default Have you ever heard of Mattress King?

First, pay your rent or MOVE! You are stealing by not fulfilling your monetary obligation to your landlord.
If you are going to stay, wash your bedding in HOT water and lysol.
Buy a new mattress.

***Mod Cut***

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-22-2008 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: No Personal Attacks

Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
You may not have much of a leg to stand on if the apartment was vermin-free when you signed the lease.
That was my question. Who introduced the bedbugs to the home? It's improbable that the landlord caused the problem. In Texas, tenants are responsible for your own pest control, excluding rats. If you can get a doctors letter stating that your health and safety are comprimised, you'll have a strong case to request professional treatment of the bugs. If you fail to pay your rent, you lose all of your tenant rights and become just another delinquent renter.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,010 times
I've got a question...does anyone kno how long a tenat can go without payin rent before they get an eviction notice??

Old 12-15-2011, 02:12 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddrunklandlord View Post
I've got a question...does anyone kno how long a tenat can go without payin rent before they get an eviction notice??
This will depend entirely on the landlord.

In my case, its about as long as the time it takes for my printer to warm up and spit out an eviction letter, merely seconds after the grace period on rent ends. (12:01am after the 5th).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting