Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 01:56 AM

6 posts, read 22,959 times

Advertisements

We moved to a new apartment building. The first one month was OK, but for the last 7 days there is very annoying noise in the walls. I lost my sleep. This is my 3rd night, I haven't sleep normally. What could that noise be? I guess it is coming from the pipes in the walls, but is it normal to be that much. It sounds like an air conditioner besides my head, running non stop 24 hours. It is crazy. I spoke to the landlord, a lazy, useless guy, and tomorrow I will try to contact the main office and talk to them. The problem is, that I don't see any possible solution of the problem.

Can somebody explain, where the noise comes from and what can be done in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 06:11 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
At times, we also can hear water coming thru pipes in our walls......neighbors above us flushing toilet, etc. Our bedroom is also located next to the AC/Heat fans (6 of them for our side of the building) outside our bedroom window. We have gotten use to the fans going on. This complex is only 1 year old.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
^^^god...you really got the sucky apt this year didnt you...Less than one more month!

Water running constantly?
I would check the toilet upstairs and move your bed away from the wall.
You could also put bookcases up against the wall. Staple carpet insulation foam to the back. Cover with a white cheap sheet for easy dustng and cleaning (cover the foam on the back not the bookcase)
Ikea has some cheap bookcases for about 30-40 bucks that are 72'' high.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 22,959 times
@LoveBoating: We don't have fans outside the bedroom. The noise comes from the pipes in the walls. I have not clue about the use of these pipes. It does not sound like water; it is more like air conditioner noise. Can somebody tell me what to do?
@pitt_transplant: Thanks! It seems like the only thing I can do is to follow your advice. I also did research for sleeping ear plugs. By the way this noise is almost everywhere in the walls of the building (but more in the bedroom). That sucks big time. I cannot cover with isolation the whole apartment and building. I would rather buy my own house

I will try to talk to some of the other tenants, but I doubt that they will have problems. Many people don't care that much about noises. Than if they are also bothered by the noise (that means I am not crazy), we can contact the management and try to figure something out.

Last edited by dokidok; 09-10-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Try playing soft music or you TV on low...

Old 09-12-2008, 04:03 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times
Running your A/C fan may help to diffuse the noise without being too obtrusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting