U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 06:08 AM

218 posts, read 1,411,704 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know? I have just been invaded by felons. At the end of my path I have a convicted felon moving in. He is a convicted thief and meth user. The person renting the trailer to him is also a convicted felon, drug charges for meth. We cannot come or go without going past them. He does not like my DH as he had something to do with getting the drug dealer away from organizations we are affiliated with. # yrs later he's back in our face and has already started yelling to us as we come and go.
DH is not going to tolerate, now we're looking to move ( have been here less then 8 months and in process of building house) Moving is a great inconvenience at this time.
Please help me find the right way to deal with this. this is causing a lot of stress for dh and myself. It feels as if we have no where to go but away from here and that bites, we're not the druggies but we're the 1's haveing to pay the price.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:52 AM

8,545 posts, read 13,469,398 times
I know you're in the trailer park to save money but, as you know, these parks are notorious for attracting lowlifes. if I were you, I'd pay the price to remove myself from the situation. It's not worth the aggravation and these people could easily become dangerous- not worth your life or your peace of mind. Calling the police or the management (if there is any) will probably only irritate them into more annoying behavior. Can you rent a trailer and camp out or get a tiny cheap apt in a decent neighborhood? Move in with friends or relatives for a few mos?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 AM

Actualy I am not in a park, would never live in a park because of the reasons you state.
I live in a 3bedroom house on 5 acres with great rent, my driveway is a 1/2 mile dirt path into the woods...he lives at the end of the path at the road.
and unfortunetly we proberbly will move, which isnt the easiest of tasks when you have 4 dogs (and now 4 puppies 1 day old) .
i am just trying to find out if i have any legal moves at this point. I have also e-mailed Johnston County sheriff to find out if a convicted felon can rent to another convicted felon both on meth charges, was also able to give names and addresses to police. i believe it isnt a problem unless it is stipulated in their probation/parole. but I don't know if i don't ask.
Next question is...... can I answer my door with a gun? Instigation and aggravating people is what he likes to do, so I expect to see him knocking on my door soon.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 AM

3,721 posts, read 4,005,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
Actualy I am not in a park, would never live in a park because of the reasons you state.
I live in a 3bedroom house on 5 acres with great rent, my driveway is a 1/2 mile dirt path into the woods...he lives at the end of the path at the road.
and unfortunetly we proberbly will move, which isnt the easiest of tasks when you have 4 dogs (and now 4 puppies 1 day old) .
i am just trying to find out if i have any legal moves at this point. I have also e-mailed Johnston County sheriff to find out if a convicted felon can rent to another convicted felon both on meth charges, was also able to give names and addresses to police. i believe it isnt a problem unless it is stipulated in their probation/parole. but I don't know if i don't ask.
Next question is...... can I answer my door with a gun? Instigation and aggravating people is what he likes to do, so I expect to see him knocking on my door soon.
They can't associate if one of them is on parole, it's a breach of their parole conditions which could land the parolee back in the clinger. It actually sounds like a dangerous situation, but if you want to sit it out they could be their worst enemies and will eventually do something that will get them arrested. If you are thinking of answering the door with a gun in hand, I'd leave.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:28 PM

7,473 posts, read 22,057,314 times
Felons, or ex felons are not allowed to be in contact with other felons. I suppose if the LL is off sight and collects rent via mail, it's OK, but if they are living together, or close by and associate with one another, they are breaking the terms of their parole.
Are they actually felons, or just not desirable people? If they have convictions and are hanging together, they are breaking the law, and you can get them some free room and board...

Sorry, Raggy, I spoke before I saw thaT YOU HAD ALREADY ANSWERED THE QUESTION...

Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 PM

unfortunetly the sheriff says, nothing they can do about it. no law preventing this. don't know how to find out if there are stipulations in either of thier sentences, But i figured since i provided names to the sheriff he could look that up ( if he wanted).
Yes they are both convicted, did time, 1 was also under house arrest within the last year. I can pull up a rap sheet on anyone convicted in nc, just wish i could find terms of his probation, then i might find a LEGAL way to get him out of here.
It just slays me that we are the law abiding citizens and we will be the ones to have to leave.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:11 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,385,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
In your home you can certainly answer the door with a gun - a riffle - any legal firearm...

When I first moved into my apartment, I kept my firearm with me at all times, and if you knocked on my door, I was wearing it... Mind you it wasn't drawn, but it was locked and loaded, if the situation required it to be used, it would have been. (I didn't know the old tenants or their friends, so it's better to be safe than sorry).

Be mindful of your situation - only be armed if you are well aware of how to use it. If you're not, attend a firearms safety course at a nearby gun dealer, so you do know how and when to use your weapon.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM

24,669 posts, read 66,532,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
In your home you can certainly answer the door with a gun - a riffle - any legal firearm...
It's a pretty fair guess that the poster's ordeal is long over - the thread is almost 7 years old.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,357,569 times
Even though it is old, it may be worth noting that a landlord could call the probation/parole department and ask if there is any condition that may be being violated. I've heard of conditions of release/parole/probation that do not allow someone on supervision to hang out with certain people. It is not in all situations, just some.

Added: I misread. I thought the OP was the landlord. If you know the names, you could still call. You may not get any info, but I'd almost bet there will be a home visit in the near future.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,385,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's a pretty fair guess that the poster's ordeal is long over - the thread is almost 7 years old.
Well don't I feel like an idiot... (that really isn't a question...)
Thanks STT... I need to pay more attention to dates when I see 'NEW POSTS' I assume (we all know what THAT does!) it's new...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting