Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 PM

100 posts, read 408,110 times

Advertisements

I took over a room for an individual two months ago and I did not even get around to signing the lease. However I have no intention of staying here and next month (maybe even late this month)I am leaving and I have not informed my roommate of my intentions. So what should I do if I did not sign the lease.

Is the original roommate still responsible, if I just get up and leave or will the managemant office and my roommate badger me to pay the rent. I did not sign the lease and I do not even have a copy of the lease so I am not liable for anything that is in the contract right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Sounds about right to me... depending on what you mean by "took over a room"

I wouldn't expect to remain on friendly terms with your roommate if what you're saying is you made a commitment and are now looking for a backdoor way out.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:04 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
If the previous resident was not signed off, they are still LEGALLY responsible for the apartment. If you NEVER signed the lease or any roommate add-on agreements, the YOU are NOT responsible for anything legally.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
Seems to me that without a lease, you're not bound to any legal obligation. The original tenant is still liable for fulfilling his lease.

Ultrarunner is right about the personal aspects - if your roommate or the person you 'took over' from are friends, they may not be after you leave.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 PM

673 posts, read 2,717,078 times
Since there is a lease in effect, the lessee is responsible. The flip side is that non-lessees can be legally barred from occupying the premise.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:28 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
If your friend's lease allowed him to sublet (which would be a first) he would have to get a written agreement with you, and he would be your landlord. You would pay him a security deposit and the rent, he would pass it on to his landlord, as he is ultimately responsible for the original lease. If he didn't pay his rent, you'd be on the street with him, and any money that you gave him would be fought out in court between your ex-friend and you. Your friend really went out on a limb here.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:02 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
The person on the lease is ultimately responsible to the apartment complex, HOWEVER...your roommate could take you to small claims court and argue that you were on a month-to-month tenancy and sue you for damages. They probably would win, too.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:07 PM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
The person on the lease is ultimately responsible to the apartment complex, HOWEVER...your roommate could take you to small claims court and argue that you were on a month-to-month tenancy and sue you for damages. They probably would win, too.
Yeah, but that could easily be overcome by giving the "landlord" (person on the lease) 30 days notice.

That would be the safest course of action, IMO.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
I took over a room for an individual two months ago and I did not even get around to signing the lease. However I have no intention of staying here and next month (maybe even late this month)I am leaving and I have not informed my roommate of my intentions. So what should I do if I did not sign the lease.

Is the original roommate still responsible, if I just get up and leave or will the managemant office and my roommate badger me to pay the rent. I did not sign the lease and I do not even have a copy of the lease so I am not liable for anything that is in the contract right?
If you completed a rental application and were approved and then provided a lease that you never signed, but in fact acted as if it was signed by taking occupancy and living there, it may not matter that you didn't sign it and you could be held accountable.

I learned about this portion of contract law when a married couple tried to get out of their lease because the husband never signed (but the wife did, and the husband signed the application and deposit agreement). I turned them in for collection of unpaid rent, they sued me and the Judge informed them that they did in fact have a binding contract and it didn't matter that the husband never signed. And he scolded them for being so rediculously stupid. (I love Texas JP Court judges) Their actions (moving in, paying rent each month, living there, etc.) were confirmation and proof that the contract existed. Judge asked, "what, you just woke up one morning three months after living there and thought, 'oh my gosh, we don't have a lease'? Give me a break. You tried to weasle out of your lease and we all know it".

If both parties to a contract act and behave as if the contract were signed, and both parties receive all benefits contemplated in the contract, it's a contract.

That said, my experience is in Texas. Things may be different where you're from.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Austin Steve... I can see why Texas is known as a no nonsense state, especially when compared the SF Bay Area...

You always have beneficial advice... thanks for posting on City-Data.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting