U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 7,574 times
Default Loud Obnoxious Neighbors in Apartments.

[FONT=Verdana]Hi, I moved into an apartment about two months ago, with ten months to go, and have had many issues with the upstairs neighbors. They are extremely loud college kids with a large, hyper dog and a subwoofer that they have playing most of the time. My three year old son is scared and won't go to sleep well at night because of it, especially the thuds. I have talked to the managers about it, apparently the dog isn't registered, and tried talking to them twice before. They either won't answer the door or they aren't home and are just leaving their dog to go nuts. They seemed to have learned their lesson about blasting their music after ten at night, but the day is still the problem since I am a stay at home mom. The only option I can think of would be to transfer to another apartment, but there is no guarantee that they will be any better since this is a college town apartment building. Can anyone give me any advise on how I can deal with this other than rigging my own subwoofer to the ceiling for payback? [/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM

10,496 posts, read 14,344,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazspaz View Post
Hi, I moved into an apartment about two months ago, with ten months to go, and have had many issues with the upstairs neighbors. They are extremely loud college kids with a large, hyper dog and a subwoofer that they have playing most of the time. My three year old son is scared and won't go to sleep well at night because of it, especially the thuds. I have talked to the managers about it, apparently the dog isn't registered, and tried talking to them twice before. They either won't answer the door or they aren't home and are just leaving their dog to go nuts. They seemed to have learned their lesson about blasting their music after ten at night, but the day is still the problem since I am a stay at home mom. The only option I can think of would be to transfer to another apartment, but there is no guarantee that they will be any better since this is a college town apartment building. Can anyone give me any advise on how I can deal with this other than rigging my own subwoofer to the ceiling for payback?

ok your complaints sound legit and not complaining because some one is living & breathing.

Depending on what state you are in I would send a registered letter to management listing the complaints and ask they be addressed asap. I would also include that if not addressed you will be looking for another place to live and expect your full security deposit back. I would then make sure the place I move to does NOT rent to tons of college kids

You can also call the local humane society about the unattended dog that is going nuts.

Loud music, partying after 10PM..call the police

Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 AM

802 posts, read 1,892,737 times
call the cops, as discussed in other threads, most cities have noise ordinances. If they are being that noisy after 9-10Pm call the cops. they will keep records of how many times they have to come out to an apartment and then the leasing office will have to do something about the noise. Ask your leasing office what the "quiet" hours are, if they don't know go to the police department and find out. Ask the police what you can do. Record the dates and times you call the police and that will give you more ammunition to take to the leasing office.

If necessary, file an official Police complaint about the noise. The police will notify the leasing office and then something will have to be done about them.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 AM

648 posts, read 1,561,295 times
Look in your lease. There should be a "quiet enjoyment" clause. In your case, it literally means you should have reasonable quiet. You can probably use it to break your lease if necessary. You might look for a duplex or single apartment connected to a residence.

You have my sympathies. Noise pollution in your own home is the worst.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM

1,367 posts, read 3,377,286 times
Yes, you can call the cops but that isn't going to resolve much, trust me, I know, I hear it all the time (as an assistant property manager I have seen it all!) Anyways, if management won't adress the issue, I would contact corporate, you will get further with them and UPON REQUEST (which you should suggest)-maybe they can either transfer you to another unit and pay for the move or let you out of your lease WITHOUT penalties. And give them these two choices that you would want (more than likely) if they do not FIX the issue. Going to corporate is the best thing to do when managment isn't doing their job.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:39 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,433,160 times
I live in a 40 unit apartment building. We live in the city and have a lot of non-working section 8 tenants. The guy downstairs from me decides he's going to have a party on a Monday night until 4:00 in the morning. The walls are so thin, all we heard music and people laughing all night. Didn't get any sleep.

We had a neighbor that lived across the hall that beat his girlfriend. They'd be up until the wee hours of the morning arguing and slamming their door. After calling the police, I received a threatening letter under my door. I know it was them. Thankfully, they were evicted for non-payment of rent.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM

1,650 posts, read 2,210,311 times
Default I really feel your pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazspaz View Post
Hi, I moved into an apartment about two months ago, with ten months to go, and have had many issues with the upstairs neighbors. They are extremely loud college kids with a large, hyper dog and a subwoofer that they have playing most of the time. My three year old son is scared and won't go to sleep well at night because of it, especially the thuds. I have talked to the managers about it, apparently the dog isn't registered, and tried talking to them twice before. They either won't answer the door or they aren't home and are just leaving their dog to go nuts. They seemed to have learned their lesson about blasting their music after ten at night, but the day is still the problem since I am a stay at home mom. The only option I can think of would be to transfer to another apartment, but there is no guarantee that they will be any better since this is a college town apartment building. Can anyone give me any advise on how I can deal with this other than rigging my own subwoofer to the ceiling for payback?
I have been going through the exact same thing. I have decided to move out of my apartment complex because my neighbors have been so loud. I am moving in 2 days. My neighbor's stereo sometimes gets so loud that my whole apartment vibrates. I spoke to management about the guy has been a little quieter at night but I still hear his stereo all the time during the day. My apartment complex said that they are renting to some people who don't pass credit checks. I also know that a lot of non-working, Section 8 residents have moved in.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 PM

17,181 posts, read 15,232,467 times
I used to manage a small complex. We had a couple that made very loud passionate love many times a week and finally the neighbors started to complain. That was a tough one having to go ask them to put a sock in it (so to speak).

Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,433,160 times
This morning we couldn't even hear our TV. Someone 2 floors down decided to blast their music.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM

7,338 posts, read 10,192,908 times
I have gone through it a few times myself in both New York and Washington DC. In both places and probably all places, the law is on your side. But...the reality of enforcement is another matter.

My experience tells me you have two choices:

1) Get a lawyer and commence trench warfare for about a year at which time you will probably be victorious but will have legal fees, sour relations with management and a pack of enemies above you.

2) Leave. Yep, just move. If these guys were reasonable, the problem would be solved by now. I have always just left. You don't win these things unless you take option 1 and that is a pyric victory at best.

Do a search of my posts for the last experience I had- horrid girl turned me into a homeowner.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting