Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 06:16 PM

92 posts, read 314,224 times

Advertisements

We just relocated here from Maryland and we signed a 2yr lease and have a few questions about what is enforceable.

We paid a deposit of one months rent and landlord says that the first $250 of that is non-refundable for cleaning. I always thought that sec deposits were only to be used for damages? Also, the cleaning requirements upon moving out are pretty extensive...why would I do all that if he is going to automatically deduct it anyway? Especially since they don't seem to worry about it too much...the house had not been cleaned at all before we moved in...even toilets were dirty - it was disgusting.

Second question: he also stipulates that WE are responsible for the first $200 in ANY repairs. Also that he will not be held liable for any damage occurring to our property in the event of water damage, roof coming in, etc.

I'm beginning to think that I should see someone at the housing office. We just signed this 2wks ago and haven't gone through the walk-thru with him yet...hopefully will be able to make any necessary changes to the lease at that point. Thanks for reading!
Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Why did you sign a lease with stipulations like that with no walk through to inspect for conditions? If you signed the lease with the stipulations in it, you have agreed to the stipulations. As for property damage, the LL is not responsible for your property. I put in all my leases that I only insure MY interest in the property. My building and my appliances and improvments, no coverage is provided for a renter's property for any cause. I strongly urge renter's to get renter's insurance. it's about $15 to $20 a month.
the time to negotiate changes or stipulations is at signing...not after the fact.
I'm not sure who the LL is, if it's a corporation or a private LL. the housing office may be able to help you decide or find out what clauses or stipulations are illegal. The severability clause will say that only those clauses that are illegal are not enforceable. the rest of the lease will be enforceable.
Good luck with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting