Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,598,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
well i get ready for work like most people. one pant leg at a time. i just dont like the people that find it ok that they have to stomp around with every step. they know they're being loud,theres no secret about it.

now if it happened to them and they were below someone,they'd throw a fit. which is why im mindful of the noise i make and try not to disturb people.
Does that mean you walk around all day on tiptoes?

Seriously though. There are people who are mindful and try not to make noise, but in some of the other posts there are those neighbors who will even complain about that. A lot of that is also structural issues (thin flooring, squeaky floors.)

A friend of mine who is a landlord says as long as you are paying the rent on time and abiding by the lease, you can do what you want. And she said complaining about normal walking (meaning not stomping around) was petty.

There are people who complain when they hear someone running a vacuum. They complain when you are running water. There are people who just like to complain.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM

911 posts, read 2,590,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Does that mean you walk around all day on tiptoes?

Seriously though. There are people who are mindful and try not to make noise, but in some of the other posts there are those neighbors who will even complain about that. A lot of that is also structural issues (thin flooring, squeaky floors.)

A friend of mine who is a landlord says as long as you are paying the rent on time and abiding by the lease, you can do what you want. And she said complaining about normal walking (meaning not stomping around) was petty.

There are people who complain when they hear someone running a vacuum. They complain when you are running water. There are people who just like to complain.

i see what you mean,but when you hear power tools upstairs 24/7 you start to wonder. and just random booms that sound like a tree fell.

noise is going to happen, i understand that. but just like my landlord had to, you'd have to be here to hear/see it.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,211,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
If she can hear her she knows.

People who live in apartments that complain about walking need to get a life, earplugs or a moving truck instead of causing drama.
Exactly. My neighbor, who lives below me, told me that we are heavy-footed and he can't sleep at night. I apologized and told him that we'll work on it. Thinking about it though, what the heck are we supposed to do? Not walk? We don't wear shoes in the house, we don't run, we walk like any normal person would. Our apartment complex is built poorly. This is ridiculous. He complained that we were loud, the second day we moved in, when my husband was building the bed. Jeez...Forgive us for MOVING IN!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 PM

924 posts, read 2,223,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Exactly. My neighbor, who lives below me, told me that we are heavy-footed and he can't sleep at night. I apologized and told him that we'll work on it. Thinking about it though, what the heck are we supposed to do? Not walk? We don't wear shoes in the house, we don't run, we walk like any normal person would. Our apartment complex is built poorly.
If I were you, I'd try wearing slippers to absorb some of your weight and even go so far as to buy them a white noise machine + earplugs. If they complain and the LL approaches you, you can explain all the solutions you offered.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:24 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,383,973 times
Exclamation Us too...

I know this is an old thread but a good one to keep in mind. We are going through similar situation w/upstairs neighbors. We understand 'normal walking' our problem are their 5-6 children ages 2 years to 16 years old. Unusual amouont of jumping. We've been polite 3 times asking them to tone it down.
Basically got arguments each time. So...two days ago we call Security and had a formal complaint filed about it. Didn't want to have to do it but when our cupboards rattled so bad that glasses fell over...that was the end of that.
We sent email to our Property Manager and to the Owner of our unit advising thm that our 'niceness' had gone unheaded and to prevent us from being held liable for cracked ceiling plaster. All was quiet last night...so we'll see.
Some folks are just bad neighbors w/no consideration for anyone else.
Koale

Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 63,430 times
Oh boy..our neighbors upstairs are pretty bad. We live in expensive luxury apartments, and we live on the bottom single bedroom. The apartment upstairs is actually a two story town home, and boy are these people noisy!!! I can hear where they go all over their apartment, every stomp and slam rattles my walls and the dishes in my cupboards. We pay over 1k a month to live here! I understand they have a child, but I can tell the difference between a 4 ft. tall little boy lightly running around compared to a full grown adult stomping everywhere they go.

We have put in two noise complaints, and so far the screaming has stopped all together. We are moving out in three months and Im trying to survive until then. We have strict 3 strike noise policy and I dont want to be the reason this family gets kicked out..but the noise is driving me nuts! I dont see what they could possibly be doing to make such a ruckus!!

3 more months, 3 more months..

Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,348,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruvie View Post
Oh boy..our neighbors upstairs are pretty bad. We live in expensive luxury apartments, and we live on the bottom single bedroom. The apartment upstairs is actually a two story town home, and boy are these people noisy!!! I can hear where they go all over their apartment, every stomp and slam rattles my walls and the dishes in my cupboards. We pay over 1k a month to live here! I understand they have a child, but I can tell the difference between a 4 ft. tall little boy lightly running around compared to a full grown adult stomping everywhere they go.

We have put in two noise complaints, and so far the screaming has stopped all together. We are moving out in three months and Im trying to survive until then. We have strict 3 strike noise policy and I dont want to be the reason this family gets kicked out..but the noise is driving me nuts! I dont see what they could possibly be doing to make such a ruckus!!

3 more months, 3 more months..
I'd have to ask myself if it's really worth over 1k amonth.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 PM

6 posts, read 67,814 times
"Sigh" It is quite frustrating to live in an apartment. I live on the bottom floor of my building, and we have upstairs neighbors who currently have 10 people living in a 3 BR apt. I had never really heard them much before, and used to (silently) praise them for being so silent. Well, I had know idea the only reason I never heard them was because of carpeting. This past summer, my moron of a LL gave them permission to tile their entire apartment. =(::: O, have I been pulling my hair out of my head. I spoke with the LL 4 times. I highly doubt he will own up to his stupidity and ask them to re-carpet. I walk around my house and sleep with earplugs on, and always have 2 fans running. Now, as much as it sucks to do that, I suppose I would be content..if the earplugs didn't hurt my ears so much; I have started to develop earaches. I understand if I hear some noise coming from an upstairs apartment...it is inevitable. All I want is some carpeting, and for my neighbors to not stomp around with elephant feet. =(::::: And for all of the people who complain about downstairs neighbors complaining....when you are constantly thinking about how irritating it is to live in your own home, I think it is justifiable to ***** a little.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 55,413 times
I too am joining the list of the above people. I live in a downstairs apartment and have been here for 7 years. I am unemployment so I cant move to another complex they require that I make more than what my unemployment is giving me. I have been on unemployment a year and still looking for a job. I have a Business Administration degree but right now that isnt helping. I am single and my two children are grown and living on their own. The neighbors that moved above me do not like my sewing machine noise and its a new Janome machine. It is quiet I think and I like to make doll clothes for my 9 year old grand daughter. Every time I start sewing they start stomping or making some slamming noises. I have talked to the management but they tell me that I would have this problem no matter where I live. I can hear their every step they take and sometimes creaks in the floor which is my ceiling. There are no cracks so far but I dont think this married couple that has no kids and are in their 20s know much about respect. I do know they both are in the military. I just want some peace and quiet! If I could move to another apartment complex I would but then I dont know that I would be facing the same problem! Her husband slams the front door everytime he leaves and stomps throughout the apartment whenever he wants.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM

24 posts, read 114,467 times
I work from home and specifically rented an apartment with an office, had specific conversations with the landlord about my professional needs (people being quiet during the day), basically I specifically looked for a quiet apartment to do my writing from. LL assured me that I found the right place. Happily signed a one year lease. This is the top floor unit in a 3 building renovated home with a slightly above market rent.

Well fast forward 6 months later and my downstairs neighbors just opened a 10 child daycare out of their unit, fully licensed and all. They moved in 3 months after I did with the specific intention of opening a daycare and I guess the LL was onboard the whole time.

Renting is fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting