U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:17 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
Guess you know now why the other people moved out before you eh?

BTW - you cant hear footsteps and squeaking through concrete. They lied to you about that existing as part of the structure. If you want to call them on it contact your local building inspection office. Email you local city council to point you in the right direction.

You are suffering with a poorly insulated wood floor. Wood squeaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 10:06 AM

13,387 posts, read 9,597,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Guess you know now why the other people moved out before you eh?

BTW - you cant hear footsteps and squeaking through concrete. They lied to you about that existing as part of the structure. If you want to call them on it contact your local building inspection office. Email you local city council to point you in the right direction.

You are suffering with a poorly insulated wood floor. Wood squeaks.
I agree. Concrete would absorb any noise.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:38 PM

4,020 posts, read 5,026,685 times
I have similar problems in my apartment. What does work for me is turning the bathroom fan on and leaving it on. It seems to drown out the noise.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:55 PM

5,676 posts, read 10,188,032 times
Well, we had the same "upstairs neighbor" noise problem, they moved out and now we have a new "upstairs neighbor" noise problem with a single older guy We are now thinking that it is both, the people and the construction of the ceilings/floors in these apartments.
Our first problem was with a 2 year old and her parents. This child would run, stomp, jump up and down and even kick at the wall under that kitchen window! In other words, she turned that apartment into her own little playground. Her dad would sometimes run after her with his work boots on.......man, that was loud!! We talked to management, but was told nothing could be done "these are family apartment homes and there will be noise" we were told. "Ok, but we pay rent here also!" we said and management said "to bad!"
That family moved out and now this older (40's) guy moves in and his walking can sound like an elephant (and he has the same build that I do.....medium size tummy). He must be a "heel" walker. And, even though he doesn't look like the type that would lift weights, he sure does something above us that sounds like lifting weights!! He got home at 11PM tonight, I was in bed (not asleep) and all of this noise started (walking and whatever else he was doing up there). It is now 1:38AM and noise has stopped as I'm writing this.
Our Lease has ended and we are now on month-to-month and looking for an older complex closer to where my wife works and HOPING for the best.
Due to my hip replacement, can't live on top or middle floor.
Some folks just walk heavy, but (IMO) get bottom floor apts! This goes the same for families with small kids that want to romp around and play in an apartment! Why oh why should people have to suffer from their noise!! Call it "discrimination" or whatever, but we ALL should be able to have nice evenings and nights of rest without all of this noise!!! We shouldn't have to buy earplugs b/c others make so much noise!!
And, it must be a fact that apartment management "think" more about getting money in from renters than handling complaints THEMSELVES!!
But, I see where these noise problems just will never end!!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 AM

1,093 posts, read 2,161,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd678 View Post
Its not normal, she stomps her feet, very loudly and the sqeaking floor is very excessive, so much so that a person sitting in my apartment can not hear the TV at normal volume levels sitting 10ft from it.

Its even louder in the bedroom.

Her mom (I assume) shows up quite a bit and we never hear anything from her. But when the neighbor shows up, its "stomp stomp stomp" all freakin night long and in the early mornings as she is getting ready for work.

It is really effecting us, we are getting about 4 hours of sleep because she is so noisy. I reviewed through my contract and I have found a few items to bring to the managements attention regarding this.

If I had money for a house I would never be in ana partment in the first place. But college does not allow for a high flying career and jobs around my area are hard to get anyway since the last two years of massive layoffs. Besides that, even though I can pay $800 a month for an apartment, I would never get a loan that had me paying $600 a month even just because I do not have a job.
Hate to say, but is she heavy, or just being stupid..

Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 AM

2,613 posts, read 3,574,506 times
I most definitely feel for you! Noisy/rude neighbors make apartment living unbearable.

Are there any other vacant apartments in the complex you could move to? And if you were able to be in one of the upstairs units, that would solve the problem of anyone living above you.

Have you talked directly with your noisy upstairs neighbor about this problem? I know that that can be very uncomfortable to do, but I had nearly the opposite problem: my neigbor's garage is directly under my bedroom and when she first moved in she would use the garage to talk on her cell phone while smoking. Her voice was so loud it was impossible to get any sleep (even with earplugs!).

I went to visit her, welcomed her to the 'neighborhood, then tactfully explained about the noise level. She was very nice about it, has been my neighbor/friend for nearly three years and the problem has never occured again.

It's never any fun having to go talk with a neighbor about noise, and it should be the apartment manager doing that; but they usually don't want to get involved, or just don't want to be bothered.

It's hard for me to believe that BIG FOOT upstairs has no idea how loudly she walks (unless she has a serious hearing problem). And even worse that she would make all that racket during the night as well!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:01 PM

5,676 posts, read 10,188,032 times
This may sound a little weird, but I'm starting to believe that "noisy upstairs neighbors" know they are noisy and just don't care.......why? Because they KNOW that most apartment managers will do nothing about a noise complaint! Confronting the noisey neighbors just doesn't seem to do any good because (in their minds) they pay rent also and (to them) they have a right to do what they want. People won't change their everyday life "movements" in their apartments just because someone complains about their "walking" noise. It can be the same way as someone complaining about their neighbors bed/headboard being located on the same wall that theirs is on (talking about sex-noise). Are they going to move their bed because of a complain from a next door neighbor...doubt it! I did have this happen to me one time with a neighbor and I ended up sleeping on the living room couch part of the night. Yes, it can be VERY annoying get woke up to this noise and thinking that your neighbors bed is going to come crashing thru the wall into your bedroom!!
Everyone knows about apartment noise and that they can not live in an apartment the same way they can live in a house.........BUT, many people just don't care and make the noise anyway!!

Old 10-06-2008, 05:09 PM

1,650 posts, read 2,307,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
This may sound a little weird, but I'm starting to believe that "noisy upstairs neighbors" know they are noisy and just don't care.......why? Because they KNOW that most apartment managers will do nothing about a noise complaint! Confronting the noisey neighbors just doesn't seem to do any good because (in their minds) they pay rent also and (to them) they have a right to do what they want. People won't change their everyday life "movements" in their apartments just because someone complains about their "walking" noise. It can be the same way as someone complaining about their neighbors bed/headboard being located on the same wall that theirs is on (talking about sex-noise). Are they going to move their bed because of a complain from a next door neighbor...doubt it! I did have this happen to me one time with a neighbor and I ended up sleeping on the living room couch part of the night. Yes, it can be VERY annoying get woke up to this noise and thinking that your neighbors bed is going to come crashing thru the wall into your bedroom!!
Everyone knows about apartment noise and that they can not live in an apartment the same way they can live in a house.........BUT, many people just don't care and make the noise anyway!!
Very true. Most apartment managers just want the rent money so they are not going to do anything about noise. I just moved out of an apartment where I had a neighbor who was so noisy I couldn't hear my TV. I don't think a white noise machine would have helped much in that situation. One day it was so loud that my apartment vibrated. One day it was so bad, I went to a hotel. The manager did nothing. My new apartment is a lot quieter. I am so happy to be able to watch TV again! Unfortunately, I had to move at my own expense though.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 PM

13,387 posts, read 9,597,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
That's one reason why, since the "70"s never have and never wil rent an apartment.
I perfer renting a house, and from private LL's,,,,,,,,,, never Management CO's.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 10-06-2008 at 06:49 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,248,564 times
Good apartment managers will do something. Also, there is sometimes a clause in the lease that says the floor has to be carpeted a percentage. At least this was in my old apartment. Unfortunately, you have to keep bitching until they do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting