U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 PM

7 posts, read 19,669 times
What rotten kids, it's amazing to me how clueless, selfish, and inconsiderate so many people are!!

I really hope your son is doing better, vinttum. That must have been such a horrible, scary feeling. Is he okay? I pray that you're able to move soon...or that you already moved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,001 times
I have lived in single family homes almost my whole life. I never knew how lucky I was until I moved into a 2 family home. Many years ago I had lived in a condo type (side by side) and barely heard any noise from either neighbor. About 4 years ago I lived in a newly built 2 family, was on the bottom floor, barely heard any noise from them either. With those experiences I thought apartment living was just like regular living only in close proximity to others. Boy, was I Wrong! lol We moved into a 2 family home (built in the 1970's) and I live on the bottom floor. When we first moved in there was one person living above us for maybe a month. I barely heard her. Then we were very lucky to have no one above us for over a year. One day I woke up to constant pounding over me. It went on for hours. I found out he was renovating the apartment to rent it out. A month later 4 people and a baby moved in above me. These people had the same schedule no matter what day it was. They left at 10:30am and came home at 10:30 PM. Nice during the day... but when you want to go to bed, Not cool. You see, their entrance to their apartment is in the middle of mine. My thin bedroom wall is to the left of their stairwell, and my thin living room wall, that includes a cheap door, is to the right. So I would clearly hear them talking very loudly and stomping up these old steps one after the other, slamming both doors, every single night. Then, one after the other, they would turn on the very loud squeaky pipes to their shower, which is over my daughter's bedroom. Not to mention there is an opening in my daughter's ceiling right under their bath tub so that when work needs to be done, the LL can get to it. So she would also hear yelling and screaming every night. It is all hardwood floors upstairs, huge space and then drywall as our ceiling. These people would walk around in shoes, the best was clogs for 8 straight months, until 3am. They apparently never sat down. They would also allow their baby who eventually became a toddler to jump and jump on their floor/ our ceiling past midnight. We have tried to talk to these people very nicely but they just got louder and louder. We complained to the LL over and over and their noise never stopped. When their lease was finally up they either decided to move or the LL didn't renew it. See he told us he wasn't going to renew it but I never believe everything he says. Again we got to hear renovational noise everyday for over a month. He finally got new people in to rent the place. Now I am dealing with people above where at least one person is always home and they love wearing shoes. Not rubber soled shoes, but either construction boots, heels or clogs. Supposedly it is only 2 people living above us, who have a son that comes home from college during holidays, but they also have a grandmother staying with them sometimes and even babysit a toddler too. Day time it is not always bad. It gets bad when the father comes home at 7pm with his construction boots and stomps around in them for about 2 hours, meanwhile he is constantly dropping things on his floor/our ceiling, especially over my bedroom area where my 16 month old goes to bed at 7pm. When he takes off his boots I always know because you hear two bangs one after the other followed by the sound of bare feet slamming to the floor wherever he goes. The mother walks softly. The grandmother walks softly. The man doesn't give a crap. They also apparently have wooden chairs in 4 different places and pull them in and out all the time causing a continuous loud screeching sound that vibrates throughout my apartment. My husband is a very heavy sleeper and this guy has managed to wake him up at 2 and 3am dropping things over our bedroom. I have 4 kids and it is almost dead silent in my apartment from 7:30pm until 7am. If I can keep two teens, a pre-teen and a baby quiet, these adults can also be considerate themselves. This past Saturday they were stomping around in shoes for hours, dropping things every 2 minutes and then the man proceeds to start hammering the floor in various areas. I was about to lose my mind, not only for myself but my baby couldn't even take a nap. So my husband called the LL on them. Within 20 minutes the noise stopped and they apparently left the apartment. When they got back at 8pm they came in yelling at each other and stomping up the steps, slamming the door and stomping around above us, dropping more things one after the other. This lasted for a half hour. But just like every night he was still dropping things here and then until about 4am. My husband told me to go get the bullhorn and blow it at them in the middle of the night, but why would I wake up my own children and scare my baby to get back at these people? It doesn't affect him as much as it does me since he works 2nd shift and isn't around 5-6 days a week for the man above us to annoy him enough. I feel like I am alone all week long dealing with this stress and aggravation. I am partly pissed off at my LL too.... because this structure is a real Piece of **** with Zero Insulation! I am happy to say that I will finally be out of here in 4 months and buying my own house. I almost went to the looney bin from the last people, now I have to manipulate my mind into thinking I really don't hear anything. Grrrrrr!!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 PM

20,523 posts, read 22,551,554 times
Cenzo: I would probably enjoy reading your post but the lack of paragraphs is daunting at best. Maybe you could edit it accordingly to make it more reader-friendly?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:17 PM

832 posts, read 1,015,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenzo View Post
I have lived in single family homes almost my whole life. I never knew how lucky I was until I moved into a 2 family home. Many years ago I had lived in a condo type (side by side) and barely heard any noise from either neighbor. About 4 years ago I lived in a newly built 2 family, was on the bottom floor, barely heard any noise from them either. With those experiences I thought apartment living was just like regular living only in close proximity to others. Boy, was I Wrong! lol We moved into a 2 family home (built in the 1970's) and I live on the bottom floor. When we first moved in there was one person living above us for maybe a month. I barely heard her. Then we were very lucky to have no one above us for over a year. One day I woke up to constant pounding over me. It went on for hours. I found out he was renovating the apartment to rent it out. A month later 4 people and a baby moved in above me. These people had the same schedule no matter what day it was. They left at 10:30am and came home at 10:30 PM. Nice during the day... but when you want to go to bed, Not cool. You see, their entrance to their apartment is in the middle of mine. My thin bedroom wall is to the left of their stairwell, and my thin living room wall, that includes a cheap door, is to the right. So I would clearly hear them talking very loudly and stomping up these old steps one after the other, slamming both doors, every single night. Then, one after the other, they would turn on the very loud squeaky pipes to their shower, which is over my daughter's bedroom. Not to mention there is an opening in my daughter's ceiling right under their bath tub so that when work needs to be done, the LL can get to it. So she would also hear yelling and screaming every night. It is all hardwood floors upstairs, huge space and then drywall as our ceiling. These people would walk around in shoes, the best was clogs for 8 straight months, until 3am. They apparently never sat down. They would also allow their baby who eventually became a toddler to jump and jump on their floor/ our ceiling past midnight. We have tried to talk to these people very nicely but they just got louder and louder. We complained to the LL over and over and their noise never stopped. When their lease was finally up they either decided to move or the LL didn't renew it. See he told us he wasn't going to renew it but I never believe everything he says. Again we got to hear renovational noise everyday for over a month. He finally got new people in to rent the place. Now I am dealing with people above where at least one person is always home and they love wearing shoes. Not rubber soled shoes, but either construction boots, heels or clogs. Supposedly it is only 2 people living above us, who have a son that comes home from college during holidays, but they also have a grandmother staying with them sometimes and even babysit a toddler too. Day time it is not always bad. It gets bad when the father comes home at 7pm with his construction boots and stomps around in them for about 2 hours, meanwhile he is constantly dropping things on his floor/our ceiling, especially over my bedroom area where my 16 month old goes to bed at 7pm. When he takes off his boots I always know because you hear two bangs one after the other followed by the sound of bare feet slamming to the floor wherever he goes. The mother walks softly. The grandmother walks softly. The man doesn't give a crap. They also apparently have wooden chairs in 4 different places and pull them in and out all the time causing a continuous loud screeching sound that vibrates throughout my apartment. My husband is a very heavy sleeper and this guy has managed to wake him up at 2 and 3am dropping things over our bedroom. I have 4 kids and it is almost dead silent in my apartment from 7:30pm until 7am. If I can keep two teens, a pre-teen and a baby quiet, these adults can also be considerate themselves. This past Saturday they were stomping around in shoes for hours, dropping things every 2 minutes and then the man proceeds to start hammering the floor in various areas. I was about to lose my mind, not only for myself but my baby couldn't even take a nap. So my husband called the LL on them. Within 20 minutes the noise stopped and they apparently left the apartment. When they got back at 8pm they came in yelling at each other and stomping up the steps, slamming the door and stomping around above us, dropping more things one after the other. This lasted for a half hour. But just like every night he was still dropping things here and then until about 4am. My husband told me to go get the bullhorn and blow it at them in the middle of the night, but why would I wake up my own children and scare my baby to get back at these people? It doesn't affect him as much as it does me since he works 2nd shift and isn't around 5-6 days a week for the man above us to annoy him enough. I feel like I am alone all week long dealing with this stress and aggravation. I am partly pissed off at my LL too.... because this structure is a real Piece of **** with Zero Insulation! I am happy to say that I will finally be out of here in 4 months and buying my own house. I almost went to the looney bin from the last people, now I have to manipulate my mind into thinking I really don't hear anything. Grrrrrr!!!!

OMG. I've been there but I can honestly say my situation isn't that bad. But close.
I've started to notice a trend at my complex. Since i've moved in back in Sept. at least 5 people have moved, ALL 1st floor tenants.
Living on the first floor is a huge mistake that I will NEVER make again!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:39 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,907,562 times
You should let the apartment manager know AFTER you have ask the people above you to keep it down. I would at least ask them twice.

That is the reason I only rent on the top floor or a townhouse. It is a pain walking up and down stair but I think I can tolerate that more than constant noise above me especially when I have kids that need to wake up for school.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,953 times
I once had lived in an upstairs unit where the kitchen was above the bedroom. Every early morning I would wake up to insane banging just vibrating down all of my walls, a baby squealing and what sounded like something dragging across the floor. I would literally wake up terrified everyone morning, and then it just turned into the most awful dread you could possibly feel, something up there like a creepy creature.

I decided one day to gather up my courage right after i had been sitting there in bed feeling sick listening to all the banging to go upstairs and ask them if they could be more considerate. Politely.

I went upstairs and an old woman opened the door and I could see inside her kitchen and on the floor was a baby with= Pots and pans on the FLOOR surrounding him. He was scraping them against the floor for fun. I told her that my bedroom was beneath there and if there was a way that she could keep him from doing that.

She told me curtly okay. She was puerto rican and couldn't speak very good english.

Nothing changed. I went up one more time feeling completely nervous and at my wits end hoping that i wouldn't start anything bad with my neighbor and I knocked and the door and a woman (the child's mother) opened the door. I told her the same thing I had told to her mother and she said (without a hint of care on her face) that there was nothing she could do. He was a baby and there was nothing she could do. I asked her if she might take the pots and pans away from him and put them on the table where he couldn't reach them. She said no and then turned completely apathetic and unresponsive. I said okay, i'm sorry- hopeless and defeated and she shrugged and slammed the door on me.

nothing changed. it might have gotten worse but that might have been my imagination.

So I agree with nightcrawler.

though at least the person who posted about his own child in the apt, actually cares.

i hate apartments. i wish i had enough money to get a house wouldn't that be grand. UGH. Maybe after this lease is over I'll try to move into an upstairs apartment. but i'd like to be able to do jumping jacks so i hope i get lucky in craigslist hunting.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Hello to fellow sufferers of stomping neighbors!
I have a solution that seems to work. First of all, this will only work if your stomping neighbor is normally a nice and considerate person, but ignorant of the noise they make. If you say something to them nicely, they can usually remember for about 24 hours (or less) and then their stomping instinct kicks back in. By the time you've had enough, you're usually too pissed off to talk normally. You talk to them in the wrong tone, and the whole situation turns into a mess. Then they begin stomp out of spite (which is really bad!).

They just need a constant GENTLE reminder EVERY time the begin to bounce around on those chubby feet! I have trained my dog to bark (loud enough that they hear it) every time my ceiling starts shaking. The noisy neighbor will figure it out, trust me! If they have any decency at all, they will lighten up on the stomping, just to get the dog to stop making noise. If you don't/can't have a dog, be creative! You can use a recording of a dog, a cat, a crying infant, a motion sensor alarm or whatever you have to, just so long as they get the idea that the dog/cat/infant/motion alarm is a reaction to their action. In short, they think it is their fault, not yours. You won't be labeled as the "bad guy", and hopefully they stop stomping. Everybody wins!

Mod Cut

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-30-2012 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Suggesting Illegal Remedies

Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,869 times
I dream of getting a copy of the production 'stomp' and leaving it on my upstairs neighbour's doorstep with a garbage can lid when the time comes to move out. passive aggressive, but at least i get a chuckle out of hearing her go around upstairs.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 AM

204 posts, read 525,335 times
I know that some people can't afford to buy their own home, but what about looking into a duplex/triplex where your neighbor is to the side, not above/below? Noise and vibrations seem to travel much less through those walls. We moved into our duplex last July, and the only noise we ever hear is their garage door opening/closing. It's been heaven!

I don't have to worry about people running around on top of me (drives me absolutely batty), and I don't have to worry about people complaining about the noise my own kids make. It's very much a win-win situation.

Around here, duplexes seem to be in the same price range as the same sized apartment in a complex, and cheaper than a single family home.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 AM

956 posts, read 710,086 times
This is why I could never live in an apartment environment. People are so inconsiderate these days I don't feel like dealing with the hassle. Renting houses is the way to go for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting