Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM

261 posts, read 497,181 times

Advertisements

I have that problem at this luxury apartment I just rented this week. It's perfect except for the neanderthal upstairs. I specifically asked if the office ever receives complaints about noisy neighbors upstairs. She said no because there is concrete above with a space in between floors. Liars! I've never had such a loud neighbor.

I can hear him burp, ****, and god knows what else he's doing up there. He's a gamer, so I get really great sound effects to sleep to. It sounds like he has a great jumping exercise regimen, and as I type, it sounds like he is playing the bongos and running a shower. I do wish death upon him. I hate him, but have no idea what he looks like. I'm assuming it is a male.

One thing I have learned though, it's harder to stomp your feet when you walk when you have shoes on. It is easier when you're barefoot. Try it, you'll see. So asking people to remove shoes is not the solution. Nor is making them angry, because it will get worse, the way people are so easily offended and lacking any grace at all. Trust me, it doesn't work. Just hope they either die or move out and a considerate person moves in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 15,403 times
THE GUY AND HIS OVERWEIGHT GIRLFRIEND UPSTAIRS WORK THE EARLY (4-5 OCLOCK IN THE MORNING SHIFT). THEY SLEEP ALL AFTERNOON AND THEN THEY STAY UP ALL NIGHT STOMPING, EXERCISING, GETTING READY AND RUSHING TO WORK, ETC; CONSTANT CREEKING, SQUEAKING OF THE WOODEN FLOOR, NERVE WRACKING NOISE FROM 11 PM TO 4 - 5 AM.THERE SHOULD BE A LAW WHICH SHOULD STATE, THAT IF A TENANT HAS SUCH A LIFESTYLE THAT CAUSES THE DISTURBANCE OF THE NEIGHBOUR DOWNSTAIRS, DUE TO NOISE CAUSED BY ABNORMAL FOR AFTER HOURS ACTIVITY (10 PM - 8 AM), OR A PROLONGED NORMAL ACTIVITY (2-3 HOURS SHOWER OR OTHER ACTIVITY ALMOST EVERY NIGHT FOR EXAMPLE), AND THE TENANTS DOWNSTAIRS MAKE A REASONABLE COMPLAINT TO THE APPARTMENT MANAGEMENT, THE APPARTMENT MANAGEMENT SHOULD BE FORCED BY LAW TO GIVE THE DISTURBING TENANT UPSTAIRS THE CHOICE TO MOVE TO AN APPARTMENT DOWNSTAIRS OR MOVE OUT OF THE APPARTMENT COMPLEX. I am a very tolerating person. I don't bother anybody else and I don't want to be bothered by anybody else. If anyone was considerate in this world... but hat's another story. Because not everybody is considerate in society we have established laws ( granted some unnecessary). THERE SHOULD BE A LAW FOR ANY KIND OF DISTURBANCE WHETHER PARTYING OR STOMPING THAT DEPRIVES PEOPLE FROM SLEEPING AND BEING ABLE TO PERFORM THEIR WORK AND OTHER DUTIES DURING THE COURSE OF THEIR DAY. FOR THE CONGRESS OR SENATE PERSON WHO WOULD WORK TOWARDS A NO STOMPING AFTER HOURS LAW, I WOULD VOTE ANYTIME.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 15,403 times
...And before anybody else says that the floors should be sound proofed etc. Well they are not, and since they are not, what are we going to have to do, move all out till they fix them? Every house in America is built by paper (sheetrock) and wood (home insurance, builder and other lobbyists work the ears of politicians throughout the century for big profits, that's the All American Plague). Do we have to wait for the floors to be fixed or the buildings reconstructed? Don't be ridiculous, just be considerate for the fellow human being living downstairs, or do not consider yourself an intelligent human being, since your level of intelligence deprives you from making distinctions at the intellectual level of a fully mentaly capable member of todays society. SIMPLY PUT: PEOPLE HAVE TO WORK LONG HOURS. RESPECT THEIR RIGHT TO PEACE AND QUITE AT HOME, THEIR RIGHT TO CATCH 4 HOURS SLEEP AND MAKE DUE FOR THE REST WITH COFFEE. DON'T BE SELFISH AND CARELESS FOR THE EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL WELL BEING OF OTHERS, DO NOT BEHAVE LIKE A TWO INCH-THICK-SKINNED BEAST STOMPING AND WHIRLING AROUND ITS TURF.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Dear Annoyance: I don't know what other forums you contribute to and maybe you're simply unfamiliar with forum etiquette but when you type in caps it means you are shouting very loudly.

I'm sure you're perfectly capable of getting your point across without shouting at people which hurts the ears. Thanks so much.

Oh and by the way, most jurisdictions do have noise ordinances in place. They may not suit everybody's schedule, wants or desires but they're there for the majority. Of course the bottom line is that if apartment living doesn't suit (and many people have a problem with it) then the solution is to either rent or buy a single family home. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 15,300 times
I am scared the building might collapse because they are two fat guys who are usually drunk and fall down a lot they even lift weights and just drop them i mean heavy ones my son who is 6 is scared the floor will break and even am. I have already told them and they told me to f off or they would make more noise they even said that it was my fault for buying the house when they work out and fall etc. they building shakes and makes a loud scary noise the wood seems like it is cracking .

Old 05-13-2012, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 15,300 times
Default HElp

Once i hit the upstairs house with a broom and they went crazy at one point picking up the couch and dropping it.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,580 times
I have the same annoying problem. I live with two parents in the middle of extramarital affairs upstairs. The two brats they brought into this country fight and play ball right over my head all day and don't go to bed. The parents attacked me repeatedly calling me insane with their "guests" they had over, who kept running up to me--a woman--as they were guys, calling me an as*hole--you get the picture. She was on the phone having a nice long conversation to throw it in my face and when I complain nothing happens. One day, the younger kid was loud and crying all day and night I finally called the police to testify abuse, the witch upstairs found out and must had put him away to quiet him down. Whatever it is, she is from the opposite of above and she likes to make me look foolish. I try to drown the brats out with my marpec, but I really have no relief and only insults from this pig upstairs with her on again, off again, lovers and husband. The husband loves to ridicule me to pretend I really want to protect him and his family when all I want is quiet. Once when the kid cried all day and night he mocked me pretending he was in trouble screaming help. I do not know what to do with these devils who like to flush me down the toilet.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:49 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona312 View Post
I have the same annoying problem. I live with two parents in the middle of extramarital affairs upstairs. The two brats they brought into this country fight and play ball right over my head all day and don't go to bed. The parents attacked me repeatedly calling me insane with their "guests" they had over, who kept running up to me--a woman--as they were guys, calling me an as*hole--you get the picture. She was on the phone having a nice long conversation to throw it in my face and when I complain nothing happens. One day, the younger kid was loud and crying all day and night I finally called the police to testify abuse, the witch upstairs found out and must had put him away to quiet him down. Whatever it is, she is from the opposite of above and she likes to make me look foolish. I try to drown the brats out with my marpec, but I really have no relief and only insults from this pig upstairs with her on again, off again, lovers and husband. The husband loves to ridicule me to pretend I really want to protect him and his family when all I want is quiet. Once when the kid cried all day and night he mocked me pretending he was in trouble screaming help. I do not know what to do with these devils who like to flush me down the toilet.

And your landlord's reponse to all of this, is?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd678 View Post
Hello.

I live in an apartment, just moved in recently. My upstairs neighbor walks loudly around, like she stomps her feet hard on the floor everywhere she walks. She is a large woman but I feel it has nothing to do with it as many other large people walk just fine.
The stomping is so loud that is shakes glasses on the table.
Plus the floor squeaks, very loudly. I have lived in many apartments and this is the first one where it squeaks so loudly, when the upstairs neighbor walks around, the combination stomping and squeaking is driving me crazy.
I am only gett about 4 hours of sleep per day because of this, she gets up at 6:30am to start here day and then likes to go out at night and come back late or walk around constantly at night.
Seriously, she will walk around for 45 minutes straight without stopping, to and from the kitchen and bedroom, the apartment is only 700 square feet.
I tlaked to the apartment manager once, he said he will look into it. I went back today and he would not talk to me but had the secretary talk to me. She said there is nothing they can really do?
They said they could move us, but I am not the one at fault here so I am not moving unless they pay a company to move my stuff for me. They also said there is no way to fox the squaeky floor as well.
The regional manager will be in tomorrow so I am going to speak with her.
The floor is carpet over concrete, I do not see how it is squeaking, but it does. Plus the whole place shakes when the neighbor walks around and when she walks up and down the flight of stairs.
Does anyone else know what I can legally do? This is the first time I have ever had a problem like this. I have lived in many apartments and never had this problem nor an attitude from the apartment managers like here.
Ironically, this is the most expensive apartment I have lived in but yet seems to have the most problems.
Any advice would be appreciated, I am just tired of being tired, it is so loud that I can't sleep, think or anything and it seems the apartment managers could care less.
If you have signed a lease for this apartment, unless it is due to run out soon, you may have to stay at this place and deal with the noise. I don't think that a person walking heavy on their feet is reason enough for you to break a lease. If this really bothers y9ou a lot, get an MP3 player, turn it down low and plug in at night when you want to sleep. I live in a big home but was having issues with ear noises and couldn't sleep. I have been plugging my MP3 player in at night and the rest I am getting is incredible. I still hear the alarm over the music and listen to an easy listening station..it works.

Don't cause any issues with your neighbor. She could be a heavy woman who is pretty self conscious about her size and it could get inpleasant. Just try the MP3 player thing and let your lease run out..find a new place but also be aware no matter where you live you could find small issues that you need to work thru!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
[b][i][color=teal]If you have signed a lease for this apartment, unless it is due to run out soon, you may have to stay at this place and deal with the noise.
He started this thread in 2008 so has probably long since left the place ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting